Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default Passive Resistance

My puppy is really funny. She talks back to you when you tell her not to do something. When you approach her to tell her to get off or get up, she rolls over with four paws in the air kicking with a smile on her face. Also when you tell her "no" she will talk back like a person. It is like some groveling noise and you literally are having a conersation with her. I have never encountered this kind of behavior before. It is ridiculously cute and hard not to laugh! We saw this when we went to the breeder's house and her dad didn't want to get into the car. He rolled over on his back and they could not move a 130lb dog very easily so he won and didn't get in the car. I wonder if this passive resistance is common in LGDs. Do you have a dog that does this?

Our 9 month Pyr mix, Kali is pretty vocal. If she wants something she loves to bark at me. Not mean, we know better, but wow it can be loud. Often when she does something and I tell her "no", we get into another conversation with her barking back at me. She usually gives in, but likes to get her say. I think its in the breed's independent nature, and throw in a share of stubbornness too! I gotta say, it was more cute when she was 10 weeks barking back at me

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

You mean like this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	8772
    Oh, trust me. The cuteness and comedic value wear off very quickly.

The above picture was taken in the parking garage of our last apartment complex on a day when I had somewhere to be. I was trying to get him in the car, and he was having none of it. I ended up taking his fluffy butt back inside and leaving him at home.

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	8773

This day was fun, too. We were coming home from the park, it was insanely hot outside, and he was having none of getting out of the car to come inside. In that case, I couldn't really leave him in the car and walk away, as tempting as it was. It took quite a while to get him to cooperate and come inside with me.

As for the sassy back-talk? Also normal. Sebastian barks at me when he wants something. He barks when he doesn't want something. He barks when we have a difference of opinion (I want him to come inside, he wants to stay outside barking at plants and ghosts). I have left the room due to his barking. I have hidden under blankets due to his barking. I have walked outside due to his barking. He'll bark at all of that to let me know that I will never win the battle of the bark.

Kit sounds pretty normal for an LGD.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Ah, yes, all 3 of my purebred pyrs did the roll over on their back if they didn't want to go somewhere I wanted them to go. Ren regularly pulls that stunt on our morning walks. My 1/2 pyr mix who exhibited more of his non-pyr breeds did not do that.

As to talking back, Bijou did a bit of that when she was a puppy. When Bijou was mature, she wouldn't talk back when scolded, but she was never contrite when scolded. I always knew when Bijou got yelled at by my husband because she would come to me with a ticked off look on her face, like, "what is wrong with him??!!!" Ren has been such a good puppy that he rarely gets in trouble. Bro's personality was more from his non-pyr side and he wanted to please us.

snow0160`s Photos

I love the photos SebastiansMom. That is Exactly what I am talking about! She also does the thing where she will just sit and not move if she doesn't want to go where you want her to go. Kit is a huge goofball. My last dog was a lot more majestic, serious, and so dignified. Kit by comparison is like Beethoven but she makes us laugh all the time. She is quite the clown. I wonder if they all start out this way or is she gonna stay a goofball.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	8774

Ahhh, yes. Taking breaks on walks. I know a certain someone who loved to tell me when we were to stop and when we were to go.

When he was a puppy, I routinely said that if competitive canine clowning were a sport, he would be a grand champion. When I was considering registering him as part of the AKC partner program (so that we could do dog sports back before he let me know that it really wasn't his thing), my top two choices for his registered name included the phrases "joie de vivre" and "class clown" I still can't decide which one suits him better.

At five, he can pull off the dignified gentleman look, but he is still very much the loveable goofball who did a somersault face first into a pile of his own poop.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

snow0160`s Photos

Haha!! Sebastian is so funny. That is such a digified photo, my previous dog would pose like that and people would be at awe like she was on the catwalk. Sahara was super photogetic. I think Kit would love playing with a friend like Sebstian. She does share some lady like traits my last LGD had. For example:
    1. She does not like to walk on mud or wet grass. She finds it gross.
    2. She does not like to go outside when it rains and will pull you inside.
    3. She slows down in the shade during summer walks.
    4. She finds us annoying sometimes at night and goes into another room with the lights off and falls asleep. She would give us this look like we are degenerate night owls.

Other than that she is very clumsy and is like a stereotypical fun puppy. I love her outgoing friendly attitude and fear of nothing. She was the only one that slept like a baby during july 4th. haha.

Jewel`s Photos

I walk Ren every morning. Sometimes he cooperates nicely sometimes he doesn't. Here was one of those days he decided it was too hot and he didn't wanna walk anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    he is still very much the loveable goofball who did a somersault face first into a pile of his own poop.
    Oh man, Bijou did that exact same thing once...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5251.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	8789  

Puppy (New Member)

My Max could be his twin, does the exact same thing

Puppy (New Member)

astrid`s Photos

Ha! Laika is exactly the same--she will lie down or roll over when she doesn't want to get in the car (which is most of the time), hates rain, doesn't like to walk in puddles or on the wet ground, and takes her own sweet time deciding whether to come or not when I call her. She is generally really well-mannered... I think whoever owned her for the first year of her life were pretty strict with her. My main problem with her is that she loves to unstuff pillows and cat beds and chew and tear up the ends of my expensive Persian rugs.