Thread: Raw Diet

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

sidigirl`s Photos

Default Raw Diet

Does anyone feed a raw diet? Do you use commercially prepared frozen food? Where else do you get the food? I'm planning on switching to raw in the next month or two and would appreciate any advice.
    Cindy
    It never gets easier, you just get faster- Greg Lemond

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Linsul feeds raw. You could PM her.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Linsul's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Linsul`s Photos

I feed raw, I don't use mass produced commercially prepared food because it's $$$$$ but there are some quality ones! Pet stores like Hollywood Feed and Pet Supplies Plus carry options like Stella & Chewy's and Primal. Both good, both ridiculous on the wallet!

Online shops like My Pet Carnivore and Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow have excellent prices and variety on grinds. The shipping cost is what I'm too cheap for since I can make it myself. If you don't have time to shop and prep, I highly recommend them as an option. They also sometimes have sales!

A third option would be to look for a local delivery service. Texas Tripe is mine, I love them. More economical since the shipping costs aren't a factor, but you have to be able to meet them at their drop off places on their delivery schedule. Which can change since they're family run businesses usually, but it's rare.

99% of the food Ahsoka eats is prepped here at home from store runs. The basic ratio is 80% muscle meat, 10% edible bone, and 10% secreting organs. Five percent of those organs can be any mix of: kidney, spleen, pancreas , gallbladder, brain, major glands (thymus, thyroid, parathyroid) uterus, and testicles. The remaining 5% of those organs being liver. To be a completely balanced diet a dog needs at least 3 different proteins in that ratio. A diet can be balanced over the course of 3-4 weeks, so no worries if you feed beef grind for a week or something like that happens.

Obviously if you can feed super high end organic that is ideal. Probably still cheaper than pet store commercial raw! The very best bang for your buck can be had at Asian markets. Plus they have the more exotic organs usually. I have 3 pounds of pork uterus in my freezer for the next big food making session from our local Asian market.

As far as how much food to give, that depends on your dogs age and weight. A puppy would eat 6-8% of weight and an adult much less. There's a formula but age and weight are needed for it. Ahsoka eats 2% and she's a little chubby according to the vet! To address that I'm buying leaner meats and cutting back a bit, adding some green beans to keep her feeling full. They do nothing for her nutritionally I just don't want her to feel hungry. A typical day for her is ground meats/organ mix in the morning, and a chicken quarter, turkey leg or back in the evening. We also give her marrow bones (ox tail or femur) a few times week.

sidigirl`s Photos

Thanks, that's helpful. The closest pet store to me carries Primal and Northwest Naturals, and the pricing seems out of this world. From what I've read here, and my research, it doesn't sound that hard to sort out balanced meals. I'll check out the local Asian market and a few other places that are known for having low prices. I see a chest freezer in my future.
    Cindy

sidigirl`s Photos

WE started last night with chicken drumsticks. The book I've been reading about raw diet recommends starting with one type of bone in meat. Watching Pau eat was fun. At first she didn't know what to do with the drumstick and kept licking it. Once she figured out to bite it, she clearly enjoyed her meal much more than kibble.
    Cindy