Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Default Chicken Liver Treats

Not sure where to put this, but here goes. A lady on the Great Pyrenees forum (Texas Great Pyrenees Rescue) on FaceBook gave me a recipe for a chicken liver treat for Sir Moose and I made them yesterday. You put 1 1/2 cups of uncooked rice, about 4 to 4 1/2 cups of water and about 1 .25 pounds of washed chicken livers in a large pan, bring to boil, reduce heat and cook til all water is gone.

Using a potato masher (is what I used) mash, mash, mash until livers are all mashed and blended with the rice. Then add a 1 pound can of drained sweet potatoes and mash until well blended. Cool until you can handle them and then form balls about the size of walnuts (it will be a stick dough like) place on baking sheet and bake for 49 minutes at 350. Cool completely and then place in fridge. It says they freeze well, and since the recipe makes so many, I froze about 3/4 to 4/5 of them and put the rest in the fridge.

Well, Sir Moose thinks they are the greatest treats ever. AND (get this) hubby who is a big fan of chicken livers decided since they only contained chicken livers, rice and sweet potatoes--- foods we eat all the time, he wanted to taste one. He really liked it and now I have to watch to make sure he doesn't get into them.

Because of the diet restrictions, I only give Sir Moose two a day. I know they are good for him and certainly better than what you buy--which many times have recalls for one reason or another
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

can't blame Jerry, they sure sound yummy!!

Jewel`s Photos

Sir Moose deserves the best! Though I think Jerry deserves a few of those too...