Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Unhappy Anxiety from rain and thunderstorms

Hello - I have a 2 year old Great Pyrenees named Pilot. I rescued him not from a bad home but from a home that was to close to the logging road where he would jump the fence and end up all the time. I have had him since March 2017. I do have 10 other dogs, 6 of which live with me and 4 live at my Mom's which is just across the driveway. Pilot has a few issues so I am wanting to address the worst right now. Whenever there is a threat of rain, not even thunder he goes into a panic. He starts panting, following me around, pawing at me. I have tried the Thundershirt and it does nothing. Holding him does nothing, getting him on the bed keeps him in one spot but he still shakes and drools gallons. Also, when I am sleeping and he is in this state he waked me every hour or so with a violent paw/scratch to the face, back, arm, whatever is available. Please help. Many thanks, Alicia

Young Dawg (Member)

Cameo`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by pilot77 View Post
    Hello - I have a 2 year old Great Pyrenees named Pilot. I rescued him not from a bad home but from a home that was to close to the logging road where he would jump the fence and end up all the time. I have had him since March 2017. I do have 10 other dogs, 6 of which live with me and 4 live at my Mom's which is just across the driveway. Pilot has a few issues so I am wanting to address the worst right now. Whenever there is a threat of rain, not even thunder he goes into a panic. He starts panting, following me around, pawing at me. I have tried the Thundershirt and it does nothing. Holding him does nothing, getting him on the bed keeps him in one spot but he still shakes and drools gallons. Also, when I am sleeping and he is in this state he waked me every hour or so with a violent paw/scratch to the face, back, arm, whatever is available. Please help. Many thanks, Alicia
    Welcome Pilot77. I've had that here too as we get some very strong storms in Florida. At first, I tried comforting but that actually made things worse. "If mom is comforting me then there must be something to worry about." Then I tried making light of it and stayed very calm and nonchalant. That has worked much better. Some dogs, however, will be afraid no matter what you do. If that is the case, your vet can recommend a tranquilizer. Childrens Benadryl is one my vet recommended. There is also a settling in period for an adult dog. Pilot has only been with you since March and it can take a good year or so for some dogs to settle into a new home. I have a Lab rescue here and it took him a long time to settle down even though he is in a far better place than he was. Try staying calm and make sure there is TV or a radio on and see how things go. I am sure some of the other members will have ideas I haven't thought of. Kudos to you for giving Pilot a second chance.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome, Alicia and Pilot!

I am so sorry that Pilot is suffering so. It is so hard to see them so scared and not be able to do anything about it in the moment.

Anxiety is different in each and every dog, and what helps one dog may only serve to make another dog worse. Given the severity of the symptoms that he is exhibiting, I would recommend consulting with a Veterinary Behaviorist. If there is not a board-certified VB in your area, some do offer phone consultations. I know that the one in Austin, Texas does.
    http://www.dacvb.org/about/member-directory/

The VB will work with you to determine if medication is necessary, and will also develop a behavior modification plan to help you teach him that storms aren't nearly as scary as he thinks they are. It's not going to be a "quick fix", and he may never be 100% comfortable during storms, but if the techniques are right for him and you follow the treatment the plan, you should see some improvement.

I also wanted to say something about tranquilizers. Giving a tranquilizer to an anxious/phobic dog outside the advice of a Veterinary Behaviorist is something I would strongly advise against. There is one in particular that comes to mind that certain people in the rescue world loooooooove because it "calms the dog right down", only it doesn't. The dog is fully aware. The dog is terrified out of his or her mind. The dog is physically unable to react due to the drug. The next time the dog is put in that same situation, the dog is even more terrified. It makes me angry that vets give this drug to people who have absolutely no idea what they are doing with it. A little Benadryl off-label under the supervision of a veterinarian is one thing, but tranquilizers are a completely different thing altogether.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

My previous LGD was terrified of the rain. Her previous owners said she had peed herself whenever it rained. Since living with us, this has never happened. We did the Thundershirt and it helped a tiny bit depending on the severity of the storm. What we did was put her in the inner most room and dimmed the light. I would go in there with her not hugging her but just sat with soft music. I read that hugging is the wrong thing to do because it reinforces the fear. She typically relaxes and sleeps. I noticed whenever the weather looks bad outside, she would go to the inner dark room on her own. I think it brought her a lot of peace because she didn't like the sound of the storm or rain. There is also the smell of rain that I am sure she dislikes as well. Our dog was an indoor dog so I am unsure how I would handle this outside.

Puppy (New Member)

I was hoping someone replied to your dilemma! Our Pyr is 5 yrs old and 169 lbs, we adopted him 13 months ago. It's severe weather season in TX from Apr-June and there's a terrible storm right now. Opie is finally laying down, but he doesn't stay down for long. He trembles, paces, hyperventilates and drools everywhere :-( I wish they made a drool-tool or something. We do keep white hand towels all over when this happens. He's calm and loving every other time, BUT STORMS, and I feel so bad for him. Gia

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Lots of Saints, Newfs, and other extra drooly dogs wear Drool Bibs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5A0C0BF0-A8C5-4CAD-AADC-76003E2E0D07.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	10152

Here’s a cute Pyr wearing one.

Sebastian also drools a lot during storms. I may see if my Mom will make him one to see if it helps.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian