Thread: Pau is here!

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

sidigirl`s Photos

Default Pau is here!

About a month ago, after waiting a year, selecting and being selected by her breeder, Pau came home with me. She is now 12 weeks old and a bundle of joy. I don't think I've ever raised a puppy this easy. I work from home, so she has been by my side almost 24 hours a day since she came home. Both of my sisters have been puppy walkers for Guide Dogs of the Desert, so I was well prepared by them and previous puppy raising for her.

I am crate training her or she is under direct supervision, usually on a leash so she doesn't have a chance to get into much trouble. While I am working, she sleeps under my desk, which is good since I am on the phone most of the day. It is really nice to be able to sneak in walks and training during my breaks. Loose leash walking, potty training, sit and down are going well. She's still a bit mouthy, but we are working on this as well. I have been shoving a chew toy in her mouth when she tries to mouth me. I have also found carrying one of her favorite tug toys is a great way to keep her focused on my during our walks.

Pau's name comes from a town in the French Pyrenees that is hosting a start and finish of the Tour de France this year. I have a bit of a passion for cycling as well.

If all goes well, she will be a service dog for me, so we are working with a trainer towards that goal. I can see all ready that she will be a big help for me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	8718 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0085.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	8719

Cindy

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Tessy`s Photos

Your puppy is so cute! I am not sure if I could have waited an entire year, but it shows that you have patience, which is great for training. Glad she is doing well with training, and that you are happy with her. They grow so fast, I am not sure how big your desk is, but she might not fit under there much longer. Our first puppy was always moving and playing. Our second puppy was so calm and peaceful and he even slept right through the night without any accidents on his first night. That is a cool name! Enjoy life with your new puppy!
    Owned by Tessy (3 Yrs.) & Magnus (1.5 Yrs.)

Enjoy Life with Your Big White Fluffy Dogs

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Sheis darling and looks much like what I think our adopted boy, Sir Moose looked like as a pupy. We adopted him 43 years ago at age 7 and he has always been so clam and laid back.

We have a lady that sometimes attends our small church that has a solid white Pyr for a service dog. her dog helps her with balance. You would never know that dog was in the back of the church--and I am talking small church in small town. Sir Moose would have made a wonderful therapy dog, especially for kids as he adores kids and when we are out with him,he gravittes towards children.
    Jerry and Moose

sidigirl`s Photos

Today was Pau's first trip to meet a friend for coffee. My friend is a dog person, but was a bit worried about Pau going into the coffee shop. The staff were happy to see her and had a treat for her. She was very good and for the most part played under the table, as she should. She did get a bit distracted when one group walked by her. After coffee, I took her to the pet supply across the street to check on the raw food they carry. Again she was good while I spoke with the clerk. I made her walk all the way home, which was one of the longest walks she's done. Now I have a very tired and very good puppy. She's really turning out to be a good puppy.
    Cindy
    It never gets easier, you just get faster- Greg Lemond

Young Dawg (Member)

First of all, your pup is adorable! Her coat color is like my hybrid's when she was small. My reaction to the coffee shop story is, MORE POWER TO YOU BOTH! Socialization is so important, and life is not just a dog park. One of my sons occasionally takes my girl to a local saloon. She sits on a stool at the bar and is served. When she was smaller, it was a glass of water with ice. Now they give her a pitcher of water with ice. Reports are that she is very good there and never, ever puts her paws up on the bar. Exposing your pup to real-life environments and social situations now will make her very nicely socialized no matter what comes up. That's my opinion, anyway.

sidigirl`s Photos

I love it that your girl gets to go to the bar and is served. That is great! Thanks, I think Pau's adorable, but then again she is my puppy. I've been taking her to puppy class and riding the bus to and from class. I don't drive, for the same reason's I plan on her being a service dog. At any rate, the first ew nights getting to and from class, she was afraid go get on and off the bus, now she rides it like a pro, sits under my seat and acts like getting on and off the bus is natural. She's still not a fan of walking along side a busy road, on the sidewalk, but neither am I.

Today I took her to the park behind my house to work on recalls. Apparently I'm doing something right. First I had a hard time walking away from her, she wanted to stay close. Once she realized she could walk a distance from me, she started to explore, but always ran right back when I called her. (I had her on a long line, just in case.) I'm so happy she's taking to learning so well.
    Cindy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sidigirl View Post
    Apparently I'm doing something right.
    You might want to give Pau some of the credit there, too. After all, she is the one doing all of the learning, and choosing to work with you. Right now, she is at an age where her instincts tell her that sticking close to Mama and being cooperative are crucial to her survival. In a few months, when the dreaded adolescence hits, her instincts will likely take a 180 degree turn, making her likely to be downright bratty and openly defiant at times. I can't say how bad Pau will be, but Sebastian was absolutely diabolical. Not even our trainers knew how to deal with him. Most of them ended up making him worse.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Don't take this wrong, but I do think a lot of credit has to go to Pau for having the personality to make things you describe possible. I have one of those model pups myself. Ren has made us look like genius dog handlers from the beginning. I don't and can't take credit for his personality. Ren is just a laid back, calm pup that takes things in stride naturally. He was crate trained overnight. The very first day I put a leash on him, he was walking with me on loose leash. He went on his first dinner outing with us at 4 months and behaved beautifully. All of that without me making any efforts at training him. He's just that way naturally.

He is now 9 months and teenage behavior has finally started. I count myself very lucky that it took 9 months before bratty teenage antics starting surfacing. Many pups become challenging at 6 months. But all pups are different. Pau may not go through a teenage period thus making your life much easier!

sidigirl`s Photos

YES! Pau is absolutely doing things right, a quick learner and wants to please mom. I've had similar experiences with other dogs as well. I like to set them up to succeed as much as I can. She gave a creepy guy the Pyr "look" to stay away. It's a blessing to have her in my life.

The neighbors across the street have been having an ongoing garage sale and had two dog beds in pretty good shape sitting on their free pile. I took them, washed them and now Pau has three beds to hang out on, one for her crate, one on the patio and one in the house.
    Cindy