Thread: Digging

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Digging

I have a wonderful 4 month old male. He is very well behaved, but just started to dig up my back yard. Holes in the grass, flower beds destroyed. Any suggestions on how to stop this? Or at least keep him digging in one area. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Tessy`s Photos

I assume you have a fence? Our pyrs dig excessively. What we did is we fenced in a medium size area for them to run in and we put 3 foot chicken wire on the ground right next to the fence to create a sort of shield. It works great to keep them from digging their way out, though they still dig everywhere else, but it is inside their own pen. I have heard of people putting sand boxes and areas with fluffy light dirt to train them to dig there.

Puppy (New Member)

Thanks! We do have a fenced yard. We are thinking about buying a few of the kiddie pools and filling them with dirt. Anyone ever try this?

Digging was a HUGE problem for us as well. Aspen appears to like to dig for any and every reasons - fun, over excitement, boredom, too cool off, to get our attention. I went the route of providing her with approved dig spots rather than fight her instincts. She digs in a sandbox or in her baby pool during the summer (digs the water and splashes). It takes a bit of work upfront to direct your dog to the dig spot. Online articles suggest burying toys and treats in the sandbox. We didn't have to do this; Aspen just gravitated to those areas. I did use treats to reward her digging in the approved spots and she picked up on it pretty quickly.

She really enjoys her sandbox!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3525 (1).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	8743

Old Dawg (Senior Member) CaseysMom's Avatar

CaseysMom`s Photos

Casey has just discovered the joy of digging at the age of 3. He started with the mulch around a tree at my new house, but he has been eating the small roots he digs up; he's always enjoyed chewing on sticks for some reason, but I stop him as soon as I notice the chewing. And the other day at the dog park he was trying to escape an over-excited pitbull puppy; he ran to the one mud hole in the park and jumped in. If I could remember how to upload pictures I would post some here; he was solid black from the hips down but he had fun. It was really funny until I had to load him into my car in that condition - and giving him a bath was also a blast! I believe either a baby pool or a sandbox is in our future.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by CaseysMom View Post
    I believe either a baby pool or a sandbox is in our future.
    The girls think he needs both.

Name:	029.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	8747

Name:	030.jpg 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	8748

Name:	033.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	8749

Name:	101.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	8750

Old Dawg (Senior Member) CaseysMom's Avatar

CaseysMom`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    The girls think he needs both.

Name:	029.jpg 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	8747

Name:	030.jpg 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	8748

Name:	033.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	8749

Name:	101.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	8750
    Love the pictures, Sr. Antonia! The third one is the spitting image of Casey after a day at daycare or a good run at the dogpark.

Young Dawg (Member)

I must get a sandbox! Delilah digs. She buries and retrieves bones. Sometimes I think she digs for the same reason birds peck the ground: Sounds of worms and bugs down there! She also does something very odd to me: She sort of digs before doing her business and then covers it. I would hate for a sandbox to become a litter box! : ) Has anyone else ever heard of this cat-like behavior before?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Our dog is a prodigious digger and so was our last LGD. I think they dig to find a cool and comfortable spot especially if the weather is hot outside. I think the kiddie pool idea is a good one because it gives them somewhere cool to lay.