Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default New puppers....Judge

Hello everyone,

I have already left an introduction in the "New puppy owners" page but have decided to start a thread for updates and pictures as the time progresses.

We are still about 2 weeks from bringing the new pup home(currently he is only 6 weeks old) . Here is a picture of him at 5 weeks old. Note: he is a GP with a smidge of Kangal hence his colour.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0701.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	8706

My husband has pretty much finalized his name. We are calling him Judge as we wanted something strong sounding with out sounding aggressive or intimidating.

For the last 2 weeks I have been phoning groomers for pricing & procedures. I am going to be doing most of the grooming and upkeep myself but still want to get him acclimated and used to going to the groomer so that I can take him during those blow out days. I believe I found one that is willing to work with the breed as well as using only positive reinforcement (treats)as he is a puppy to build a good association. Also I made sure they will not ever shave his coat even for mats without contacting me first.

I have also been researching good Large breeed puppy kibble with the correct range calciumhosphorus levels. I have decided on ACANA large breed puppy(new formulation not the old). We are going to schedualed feed him as I have a young son and want to control any situations between food, dog and kid.

We will be crate training as a young pup for potty training purposes and hope for it to be a safe place as the dog grows ideally. I also have a dog bed in a quiet corner in the living room for his own space as we are doing the "no furniture" rule (for th sake of my couches lol).

I have a large backyard that is fenced as well as has a shaded under the deck area where the dog house will be located. also have 2 large apple trees that give plenty of shade cover.

Well I can't think of anything else at the moment but I'm looking forward to updating all of you once our pup arrives home.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Kholts....love the name & really like the fact that you are preparing for him already!!!

my only suggestion....you can get him used to being groomed, just by playing/touching his toes & ears, take a brush let him sniff it....run it over him with the flat end, not the bristles at first...have to admit, I have even let my pups chew on the end of some brushes, I have little teeth marks over several of them!

take him to the vet for fun visits....I used to take Rudy to the vet just to weigh him & let him get treats from the front desk people, just so that he would have a positive association with going there. Some pups don't take to car rides at first, they get sick, I had Rudy in a crate while he was in my car for his first 4-6 months (until he out grew it!) it seemed to help him with car sickness.

Thanks for the update!

Road Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    Kholts....love the name & really like the fact that you are preparing for him already!!!

my only suggestion....you can get him used to being groomed, just by playing/touching his toes & ears, take a brush let him sniff it....run it over him with the flat end, not the bristles at first...have to admit, I have even let my pups chew on the end of some brushes, I have little teeth marks over several of them!

take him to the vet for fun visits....I used to take Rudy to the vet just to weigh him & let him get treats from the front desk people, just so that he would have a positive association with going there. Some pups don't take to car rides at first, they get sick, I had Rudy in a crate while he was in my car for his first 4-6 months (until he out grew it!) it seemed to help him with car sickness.

Thanks for the update!
    All great points. The getting him used to grooming how you explained is exactly the way I was going to do it here at home. I was talking about getting him used to being groomed by a stranger(essentially) in a completely different environment with out the family around.

The vet visits are a great idea and something I will probably do.

The crate in the car was something else I was planning on doing while he was a pup not only for the car sickness but also to learn to be calm in the car.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Former Great Pyrenees Owner

Tessy`s Photos

I love that you are so prepared and have done so much research! Your Judge looks so cute. Enjoy your pup!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Holy cow I had to do a double take on that picture. Judge looks almost identical to Missy as a puppy. It was very trippy for me.

I love the name by the way. As a groomer I also appreciate that you are doing your homework ahead of time and planning on getting him used to being groomed. It will make his groomers live so much easier. I can't wait to see pictures of him as he grows.

Included is a picture of Missy at 7 weeks old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Missy 7 Weeks.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	8710  

Road Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    Holy cow I had to do a double take on that picture. Judge looks almost identical to Missy as a puppy. It was very trippy for me.

I love the name by the way. As a groomer I also appreciate that you are doing your homework ahead of time and planning on getting him used to being groomed. It will make his groomers live so much easier. I can't wait to see pictures of him as he grows.

Haha I can see why you did a double take! She is a cutie! I'm interested to see how much his coat fades in colour as it seems from research it's inevitable. Also talking to my pups parents owners they had a previous litter and had 1 brown pup that ended up going to a child that is in 4H. His pups coat ended up a light honey colour when he hit adult hood.

When I was talking to groomers they all sounded slightly apprehensive when I said GP mix. I dunno if it was the work load of the coat or they were thinking full grown at first. Then I mentioned a pup I wanted to start bringing in through adulthood and they sounded relieved lol. So I'm sure it was the apprehension of an adult that's never been groomed before haha. I don't blame them as that's one big, independent thinking dog to deal with!

Road Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tessy View Post
    I love that you are so prepared and have done so much research! Your Judge looks so cute. Enjoy your pup!
    Thank you!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Kholts View Post
    Haha I can see why you did a double take! She is a cutie! I'm interested to see how much his coat fades in colour as it seems from research it's inevitable. Also talking to my pups parents owners they had a previous litter and had 1 brown pup that ended up going to a child that is in 4H. His pups coat ended up a light honey colour when he hit adult hood.

When I was talking to groomers they all sounded slightly apprehensive when I said GP mix. I dunno if it was the work load of the coat or they were thinking full grown at first. Then I mentioned a pup I wanted to start bringing in through adulthood and they sounded relieved lol. So I'm sure it was the apprehension of an adult that's never been groomed before haha. I don't blame them as that's one big, independent thinking dog to deal with!
    I won't lie I am excited to see how much Judge's color changes. With Missy she lost all her facial markings when she hit 3 months old. Her face went white and her body was an orange/red. So seeing how much he changes will be fun and interesting.

I won't lie if I didn't have Missy and work with so many rescue Pyrs I would dread having someone call my shop wanting to get their Pyr done too. Thankfully I have had so much work with the breed that I can deal with it, with little to no effort. I have a routine and I know what I can and can't do with the coat. Thankfully most of the time the coat blows loose and I can manage it with no issues.

The pictures I posted at Missy at 3 months, 4 1/2 months, 8 months and 6 years old...ignore the blue markings those aren't her natural colors.

Name:	36.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	8711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	8712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1188.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	8713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150822_181547 (2).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	8714

Road Dawg

Well today was the day we brought Judge home. We have only had him a couple hours and currently his is napping on the floor. The ride home went well. Had a little whining (understandably) and no car sickness(thank goodness).

He instantly seemed to take to my son who is only 1. Judge follows him around and lays by him. Closest thing to another puppy in his mind lol. The cats are...well being cats haha. My oldest cat just watches and sniffs the pup and is not to put of joint with having him around and my youngest cat is puffy and huffy but hasn't swatted. Judge just watches them and whines.

Updated pictures:

Name:	IMG_0730.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	8738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0735.jpg 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	8739

Young Dawg (Member)

Cameo`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Kholts View Post
    Well today was the day we brought Judge home. We have only had him a couple hours and currently his is napping on the floor. The ride home went well. Had a little whining (understandably) and no car sickness(thank goodness).

He instantly seemed to take to my son who is only 1. Judge follows him around and lays by him. Closest thing to another puppy in his mind lol. The cats are...well being cats haha. My oldest cat just watches and sniffs the pup and is not to put of joint with having him around and my youngest cat is puffy and huffy but hasn't swatted. Judge just watches them and whines.

Updated pictures:

Name:	IMG_0730.jpg 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	8738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0735.jpg 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	8739
    Judge is gorgeous! I suspect he will get a bit more adventurous once he settles in. My Darla sure did! :-)