Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default New puppers....Judge

Hello everyone,

I have already left an introduction in the "New puppy owners" page but have decided to start a thread for updates and pictures as the time progresses.

We are still about 2 weeks from bringing the new pup home(currently he is only 6 weeks old) . Here is a picture of him at 5 weeks old. Note: he is a GP with a smidge of Kangal hence his colour.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0701.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	8706

My husband has pretty much finalized his name. We are calling him Judge as we wanted something strong sounding with out sounding aggressive or intimidating.

For the last 2 weeks I have been phoning groomers for pricing & procedures. I am going to be doing most of the grooming and upkeep myself but still want to get him acclimated and used to going to the groomer so that I can take him during those blow out days. I believe I found one that is willing to work with the breed as well as using only positive reinforcement (treats)as he is a puppy to build a good association. Also I made sure they will not ever shave his coat even for mats without contacting me first.

I have also been researching good Large breeed puppy kibble with the correct range calciumhosphorus levels. I have decided on ACANA large breed puppy(new formulation not the old). We are going to schedualed feed him as I have a young son and want to control any situations between food, dog and kid.

We will be crate training as a young pup for potty training purposes and hope for it to be a safe place as the dog grows ideally. I also have a dog bed in a quiet corner in the living room for his own space as we are doing the "no furniture" rule (for th sake of my couches lol).

I have a large backyard that is fenced as well as has a shaded under the deck area where the dog house will be located. also have 2 large apple trees that give plenty of shade cover.

Well I can't think of anything else at the moment but I'm looking forward to updating all of you once our pup arrives home.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Kholts....love the name & really like the fact that you are preparing for him already!!!

my only suggestion....you can get him used to being groomed, just by playing/touching his toes & ears, take a brush let him sniff it....run it over him with the flat end, not the bristles at first...have to admit, I have even let my pups chew on the end of some brushes, I have little teeth marks over several of them!

take him to the vet for fun visits....I used to take Rudy to the vet just to weigh him & let him get treats from the front desk people, just so that he would have a positive association with going there. Some pups don't take to car rides at first, they get sick, I had Rudy in a crate while he was in my car for his first 4-6 months (until he out grew it!) it seemed to help him with car sickness.

Thanks for the update!

Road Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    Kholts....love the name & really like the fact that you are preparing for him already!!!

my only suggestion....you can get him used to being groomed, just by playing/touching his toes & ears, take a brush let him sniff it....run it over him with the flat end, not the bristles at first...have to admit, I have even let my pups chew on the end of some brushes, I have little teeth marks over several of them!

take him to the vet for fun visits....I used to take Rudy to the vet just to weigh him & let him get treats from the front desk people, just so that he would have a positive association with going there. Some pups don't take to car rides at first, they get sick, I had Rudy in a crate while he was in my car for his first 4-6 months (until he out grew it!) it seemed to help him with car sickness.

Thanks for the update!
    All great points. The getting him used to grooming how you explained is exactly the way I was going to do it here at home. I was talking about getting him used to being groomed by a stranger(essentially) in a completely different environment with out the family around.

The vet visits are a great idea and something I will probably do.

The crate in the car was something else I was planning on doing while he was a pup not only for the car sickness but also to learn to be calm in the car.

Road Dawg

So a better update now that we have had Judge for a couple days now.

He has a few quirks I noticed. He only seems to eat (I scheduale feed) if I'm around. I have to be in the same room with him for him to eat. He is also a slow eater...I'm talking lays down and nibbles 1 kibble at a time.... I am hoping that all this means I'm not going to have a resource guarding issue. That is something I've had to deal with in the past and it is a doozy! In regards to feeding he is also almost I dunno scared or at least doesn't like eating out of a dish. I've tried the stainless steel dish, a glass bowl and right now I'm using a plastic shallow Tupperware container... he will go to eat and then pull his head out sit down and look at the dish and me. He will eat his food off the floor just fine. I do wonder if it's his name tag hitting the bowl but he conquered the water dish just fine.

He is also super sensitive with meeting people and other dogs and takes a bit to warm up to them. He especially gets scared or overwhelmed when they try to coddle him or go up to him before he's ready. I tell them to just ignore him and let him come to you which after a while does happen and then he's absolutely fine with them and will come when they try later. I am really going to work on the socializing.

Kennel training is going great (after the first couple nights) He now goes in with out fussing for the night then will whine in the morning when he needs to go out.

He's great travelling in the vehicle. He lays on the floor and sleeps. Very content it seems. This is also something I am hoping sticks!

All in all I'm super happy with him.

Name:	IMG_0742.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	8745Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0746.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	8746

Old Dawg (Senior Member) rx4bills's Avatar

Handsome pup! Sounds like he's doing just fine. Lots of new changes for him, so I'm sure once more settled in all will be fine. Welcome!

Tessy`s Photos

With the eating outside of the bowl, my dog does the same thing. I think she just likes it better when it is spread out on the ground. Sounds like your pup is settling in nicely.

Road Dawg

Hey everyone,

Just thought I would post some more pics of Judge since you are about the only people who aren't sick of puppy pictures lol.

Name:	IMG_0810.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	8831
    In His bed which he uses for anything but sleeping.

Name:	IMG_0817.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	8832
    There's no such thing as privacy even while using the bathroom.

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	8833
    It seems the puppy coat is coming out (notice the ball of hair on table) during brushings.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	8834
    Favorite toy. A squeaker Mat Cat.

Road Dawg

We are going to love Judge know matter his big or small he is and I know we really don't have any control over his size (unless we over feed or under feed, never would happen). My guess is fully mature he's going to be 110-120 going off his parents weights. That's half the fun is wondering what he's going to look like and how big lol.

Tsunibear- wow she's a big girl! I don't think I've seen a female that big!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Kholts View Post
    Tsunibear- wow she's a big girl! I don't think I've seen a female that big!
    Yeah she is a big girl. She is about 31.5" inches tall at the withers and is mostly muscle. Her Mom was 100 lbs after giving birth to litter of 9...her Dad I didn't meet in person, but drove by and he was a huge. I had never seen a Berner that big before and solid muscle because he pulled weights and carts. Both her parents did what they were bred to do, her Mom was a working dog protecting a herd of miniature horses and her Dad was a puller. If she didn't have a messed up knee she could probably be an amazing puller too with how she is built. My customers call her a tank because, they have all seen and felt her in person. Funny thing is she was the runt too.

Road Dawg

Judge likes the water and swims a little. He also does not mind lounging in the boat while we fish.

Name:	IMG_0842.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	8844