Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Lol, busted!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

love that smile....how could you reprimand him!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

His face is absolutely priceless!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Kholts View Post
    Not supposed to be in the bed....who lifted you in there?

Attachment 9519
    Obviously, it was the baby!!!

Road Dawg

Judge had his 1 year check up and boosters today. He is weighing in at 97lbs. The vet said he’s pretty lean but that’s what she prefers for a growing large/giant breed. she talked to me about neutering which I told her I just wanted to wait until closer too 2. Surprisingly she didn’t push me on the issue. YAY! she also talked to me about possibly racking the stomach at the same time as his neuter. This is the 1st time I had ever had a vet talk about it. I understand the concept and that deep chested dogs are prone to stomach flips but never really read that Pyrs are prone to it. Anyone had issues with stomach flip in their Pyrénées?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I am fortunate never to have had a dog develop GDV. Sebastian has had several episodes of what is called paralytic ileus (or pseudo obstruction), where his small intestine stops contracting and fills with gas. If not treated, it can be fatal, or it can develop into GDV. I talked to my vet, and we decided that the risk of anesthesia was not worth having the gastropexy done alone. However, if he needs to have general anesthesia for some other reason, we will go ahead and perform the procedure at that time. My next dog will definitely have the gastropexy performed at the time of spay/neuter - unless, of course, I adopt an adult who has already been altered.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

My understanding is that Pyrs are grouped with the deep-chested breeds. Tyro, my male Kangal, has repeated episodes of torsion that was not complete and therefore was not life threatening. However, the repeated torsion created massive scarring to his inner organs. He had repeated bouts of GI issues (vomiting, etc) that we could never get to the bottom of. The last time it happened, we finally caught the stomach twist on x-ray during his barium swallow. We've made the decision to have all future dogs tacked. It is a peace of mind I am grateful to have after going through this experience...

Road Dawg

Thank you everyone for letting me know your experiences. Maybe it is something I will have to consider and get them to give me an estimate of price. In Canada here our vets are $$$$. I took my cat in a couple months ago for an abscess and the bill was $580.00 (CAD). They also mentioned she has a dental disease that is super common in cats and will need dental done sooner or later and quoted me upwards of $800.00(CAD) minimum depending what the situation is once they get a better look.

I’ve been saving up some cash to put in the” Animal Care” fund but it is slow going lately. Luckily I have about another year before I ideally want to get Judge neutered.