Thread: Emotions?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Default Emotions?

I have always believed dogs had emotions. I remember how hard my golden retriever KayCee grieved when her litter mate brother was taken by Proheart 6 at the age of 4 years and 2 months. It took our young golden girl a month to bring KayCee around. Then whne Kase died 5 years later, Honey was in a funk for weeks. She would not even stay outside, she no longer ran up and down the back fence barking with the dogs behind us as she and KayCee had done.

Some 35 years ago I had a miscarriage and had I not been in the doctor's off, I most likely would have died> Anway, I was in and out of the hospital up to a week for over a month. Every time I came home, infection would flare. I had an Irish Setter who had shown up as a stray and I took him in. He was never far ffrom me for the next 8 years and Jerry called him Sandra's Shadow. Well, when I was in hospital. Red would not eat, or only nibble. Jerry even resorted to calling me and holding the phone downe to Red's ear so I could talk to him. Our eighbor said Red would sit in the dining room and howl the most pitiful howls she had ever hear. Had never done it before, didn't do it afterwards. Said she felt so sorry for him.

Well, Friday Jerry caught the toe of his shoe on a stepping stone onto the patio and went down and skinned up both knees pretty bad and cut one hand. Now he is 73 and does not need to be falling, much lesss falling on the cement. Saturday he barly walk so didn't taken Sir Moose for his morning walk. Ritual is Jerry gets up, takes his thyroid med (as to wait at least 30 minutes before breakfast or coffee), takes Sir Moose for his walk, they gt back and both eat breakfast. No walk Saturday and Sir Moose moped and pouted all day. He would NOT EAT HIS BREAKFAST, NOT ONE BITE. He didn't want to go out side to argue with the pesty Chihuahuas next door that raise cane every time he goes out. He did eat supper, but not all of it. Sunday Jerry was feeling better and took him for a walk before church, Sir Moose came home and devoured his breakfast.

Nobocy can convince me that Sir Moose felt disappointment in not getting his walk and was sulking. Nobody can convince me that dogs do not have emotions, some stronger than others, some show their emotions, some do not.
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

You might be interested in reading Patricia McConnell's book, For the Love of a Dog. It is about the emotional life of dogs.

I have no doubt that Moose was pouting about not being able to have his special walk time with Jerry. I hope that Jerry is feeling much better, and able to resume walks with Moose, soon!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Hope Jerry feels stronger every day...

and I agree...these 4 legged companions have many emotions

glad Jerry & Moose were able to have their walk together on Sunday & things are back to normal!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I definitely agree. Dogs have emotions and can totally pick up on our emotions too. When they are worried just like is it can effect their appetite.
    I am glad Jerry is feeling better.

Tessy`s Photos

I have always noticed that with any dog we have ever had, whenever someone would get hurt and cry, the dog would go straight up to the hurt person and sit next to them. Our elder female Pyr doesn't show her emotions nearly as much as our younger male Pyr. Dogs certainly have emotions.