Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Specific food ingredients for growing puppy?

Hey everyone, this is my first post here. We have a 12-year-old labrador and will be getting a Pyr puppy in about a month (when it is 8 weeks old). The question I have is about food.

It seems like these dogs gain weight rapidly in the first year, achieving practically adult size by then. Given how fast they grow, should I be looking out for something specific in the food ingredients?

I was thinking of using this for dry food (I get all my dog food from them):

http://www.feedyourpets.com/product/TPP001.html

as well as a variety of the Natural Balance LID soft foods.

Any thoughts?

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

I think the articles linked in thread is informative if you are not familiar with giant breed pups. http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showth...ight=nutrition

The food you are contemplating seems fine for a puppy. The biggest issue for giant breed pups is the calcium/phosphorus ratio. The other is protein content. This food isn't high protein so it's not controversial.

When we got our puppy in November he was being fed the Kirkland brand all life stage chicken & rice formula. I continued with the same food (80 lbs worth) until he seemed tired of it. To be honest, I didn't like the poo consistency but he was growing at a even steady pace without any visible big growth spurts so there was no huge complaints. At 6 months I switched him to Organix Ultramix as it contains similar level of protein, calcium & phosphorous. But his poo situation remained the same. So last week I switched him over to Orijen large breed puppy which is high protein. We'll see how he does.

My pup just turned 8 months. We got him when he was 8.5 weeks old. He gained a steady 10 lbs a month until he hit 6 months when he reached 63 lbs. He just turned 8 months and he's now 75 lbs. He never went into huge growth spurts. He just continued to grow at a even pace throughout. I am totally in the camp of feeding by body condition. I've always kept him where I can feel his ribs without being able to count them.

By the time a pyr pup reaches 12 months, it would have reached most of its height but certainly not its weight or its overall bone structure. They continue to grow for the next 3 years. It is also not uncommon for pyr pups to grow taller after their first birthday. Recently people have asked if my pup is full grown already at 8 months. I think he'll grow taller but I don't know how much. But I am quite certain his body will grow longer and his head, chest and shoulders will broaden out in the next 2-3 years. He is our 4th pyr, and our third to raise from 8 weeks.

Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

thanks! Will have a look.