Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Linsul's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Linsul`s Photos

Default Callous and Collar question

Ahsoka is starting to get hot weather callouses on her elbows from flopping on tile, cement, and dragging her mat out of her crate because it's too warm. I got some elbow butter as it was highly recommended online, but I can't get to the callouses because her fur is so dang thick!! I feel like I'm using the product as gel more than for skin lol. Should I cut the hair around the area, any drawbacks to that? She'll be getting groomed soon, I could have them shave it if that would be better. Not sure what exposing the skin might do if shaven, so I figured I'd ask. I just want to get rid of these callouses.

Collar question is one of width. We finally, after years of dithering have chosen a Paco Collar for her. It's the royal glow deluxe collar. Figured the deluxe would help show it better with all her fur, but not sure if 2 inches is too wide aesthetically? These things are approximately the cost of our first born child so I'm trying to get it right. No Google images for Pyrs with Pacos, I looked. Online it says that thicker collars can look goofy with shorter necks, and she's got that, but also fur that will hide the collar so striking a pleasing thickness and non-hiding balance is what I'm after. When I called Paco Collars they had to Google what a great pyrenees is LOL, so I figured I'd ask what others here would do. Their advice was to stick with 2 inches since the summer and winter coat difference might be a thing, but they've offered to remake it if it looks super goofy at 2 inches. 2-3 week turnaround though, yikes!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

No experience using topicals to deal with calluses. Our dogs love the cool tile floors and will not use mats/soft beds except at night during the winter. They will use their elevated mesh Coolaroo beds so this is what we have for them both inside and out. We have no callus issues at all since we got them the mesh beds.

I only ever tried a 2" collar on my Pyr x Anatolian boy. I did not like how it looked and it matted the fur underneath because of the width.

Jewel`s Photos

Hey Linsul! I am very sorry to hear of Anakin's passing. She had a good life with a loving family and a wonderful companion in Ahsoka. She is up there in Doggie Heaven with my Bijou and Bro, running free and happy.

I don't have anything to offer on the callous issue. As to the collar, I am generally not a fan of wide collars because of the long coat, especially around the neck, of pyrs. When I walk my current puppy Ren, I use a 1" martingale (it was actually Bijou's) and when he goes to daycare, he wears a 3/4" collar to hold his tag. I used to use thin rolled leather collars for Bijou and Bro to hold their tags. I don't like the look of a wide collar breaking up the neck line. But that's just my personal preference.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Linsul, since she's going in to get groomed soon, talk to the groomer about trimming her elbow fur, maybe not completely shaving it. I think I would be concerned that the callous would get more exposure then develop fluid & have to be surgically removed...I wonder if a cool type of bed might work for her & get her to use something soft instead of hard cool surfaces.

I looked at the Paco collar site....I couldn't come up with one at 22-24 inches that was wider than 1.5 inches..
    But, I think I am in the same frame of mind as Antonia & Jewel...wide leather collars just seem to mat the fur under them....which to me means more aggressive grooming in that area, time consuming & literally a pain in the neck for her!

I hope that Ashoka is getting more comfortable with Anakin's departure....I'm sure it has been difficult on everyone...

Linsul`s Photos

Thanks for the kind words about Anakin, we do miss her! I still have her crate up, I should probably take it apart but it was her "den" so it feels weird.

On the bed thing, I think I'll try a cool type bed. She hates regular beds though and I don't know why. We have 3 big padded beds and she never ever uses them. She'll sit on them if we beg her to, but never stays. I think they might be too hot, especially as she lays on it and warms it up. Hopefully a cooler raised bed will help? I hope they aren't expensive, that's a guarantee she'll ignore it LOL. Okay, maybe not, but it wouldn't surprise me. She'll keep a thin pad on her crate in the winter, but she won't have it in the summer. Sometimes I'll put it in there and tell her to "leave it" and she does, but she pants like it's a heat lamp. Tile is her favorite thing, but her elbows Cooler raised bed is a great idea, thank you!

Edit: will def talk to the groomer about the cutting back the elbow forest option. She's at the vet, so if the groomer doesn't feel confident about it for whatever reason we can ask the vet for sure. Fwiw this will be our first time going to her, she's a new addition to the practice but I really like the pics they've shown online and love the vet so I feel pretty good about this.

As far as the collar goes, I usually use a 1 inch martingale as well. I think I'll keep that as her default collar and only use the Paco for "special occasions" whatever those end up being. She gets a lot of grooming between her regular visits to the groomer and the child labor I enforce, but they love brushing her so it's a win/win. The Paco people were saying the 2 inch one as a martingale (I ordered the martingale option) distributes the pressure over a wider area, so between that and a super fluffy winter coat that would cover it if it were narrower maybe it will be her winter "formal wear." Unless it looks totally stupid, then we'll remake it since they offered. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the matting advice though, we certainly don't want that so she'll keep old reliable.

Linsul`s Photos

You guys use large or xl coolaroos? I'm at Amazon now, but not sure which to try

Jewel`s Photos

I totally forgot that we did buy cooling pads for Ren - the ones that he uses every single day (duh!)... They are not the Coolaroos but Ren really likes them.

They are the Coleman brand. Got them at Ross or Marshall's for no more than $12 apiece. I have a 20x36 in one room which Ren can still put most of himself on at his current size (26" and 75 lbs) and then I have two 24x30 which I put side by side in my bedroom so to be big enough for him. They are like these: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_9l5pptpjq2_b

Linsul`s Photos

Great, thanks so much for the bed and collar help! I hope she'll be more comfortable. I have a coolaroo bed and one coleman mat coming tomorrow. I'm gonna squish it good and make it nice and cool, probably put it in her crate at first and if she loves it I'll grab another. Hopefully she will, and I can use it to tempt her onto the coolaroo bed if she resists its awesomeness.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I don't recommend shaving the elbows trimming yes, shaving no. I would suggest the cooling bed, because they are awesome. You can often times find them at Ross or TJ Maxx.

Now as for the Paco collar first of all Missy won one of their contests and so I got $25 bucks off if you want it just message me here or on Facebook cause I can't use it I love their collars, but they make me break out in hives. So no pretty collars for Missy. As for the width I only put Missy in 2" collars. She has two 1.5" collars and I don't like them as much as her 2" collars. She never has any matting with them because, they are so wide that they don't tend to grab and wrap her mane. The collar in that picture is a 2" collar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150703_143802.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	8683

Linsul`s Photos

Thank you Tsunibear so much for the advice and the coupon code! I'm going to look up Ella's lead and see what's up there, I've heard about them before so I need to see what they have. I hope they have a great Vegan leather option for you! I hadn't thought of the width being a deterrent to matting, but I can see how that makes sense. I bet it has something to do with the individual dogs fur length since experiences vary, I'm hoping we're in the non category but I honestly don't know. Ahsoka gets brushed often enough that I'm not sure what would happen if she wasn't. I love her, but I love my vacuum too so she gets brushed outside a lot without her collar on. Will try trimming her elbows soon

I have to share a photo of her coolaroo bed and cooling mat. I love both, they're genius so I really appreciate the recommends! They came with 1 day shipping on a Sunday of all days, go go Amazon. She was less than impressed though. She'd get on it if one of us was on it and calling her, but hop right off once we got up. My husband ended up picking her up (she loves that) and putting her on it and sweet talking her into eventually laying down. It was about a 10 minute process lol. We put the mat in her crate and she hopefully liked it. It's absolutely cooler with it than without so I'm hoping she learns that and will lay on one on her bed. Currently she's sprawled across the tile though.

I think this little punk will really enjoy using the bed as a trampoline though. So will the other 3 but him especially so it will have a purpose until Ahsoka decides it's not out to kill her.