Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

I was watching a documentary on wolf hybrids. Apparently, the pups are highly unpredictable in the same litter. Some physically resemble wolves than others and some have wolf personality. Sometimes you can get a dog that looks nothing like a wolf while in the same liter to have one that looks completely like a wolf. It is like with people, some folks look exactly like their parent's mini me whereas some are 50/50 blend. Genetics is funny that way so it keeps you guessing.

riley`s Photos

He is about 85 lbs. It's funny, in a few pics I've snapped of him he's reminded me of an Aussie for a split second.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3973.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	8666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4140.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	8667

The other 99% of the time he looks totally Pyr.

I would love to do a DNA test, but when I've looked into it a lot of them require a photo of your dog as well, which I read as a scam. (Send me a photo of your dog and I won't need to do a DNA test to give you my best guess lol.) Maybe I'll ask his vet for a test recommendation. I'd be very interested to know!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

not sure which DNA tests you've found, but the one that is highly recommended is the Wisdom Panel test...

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by riley View Post
    I would love to do a DNA test, but when I've looked into it a lot of them require a photo of your dog as well, which I read as a scam.
    Just earlier we had a chat with a couple who had a DNA test done on their streamlined built yellow coated medium sized rescue. That test also required a photo. The test came back stating the dog is 70% rottweiler, a little bit of chow and a little bit of pyr... The dog is solid blond all over. Slim head, long snout and slim boned. There was no mention in the report of lab or golden which the dog physically resemble... So they are not entirely convinced of the accuracy of the test.

I am tempted to do one on my puppy Ren who is a purebred pyr just to see what it says... Ironically I never was that interested in having a DNA run on my pyr mix Bro. We were pretty sure Bro was half pyr because his mother was picked up by the rescue from a ranch where she had been hanging around while in heat and there was an intact working pyr. We also believed he was part aussie. Our agility trainer is an aussie breeder and Bro competed in the Australian Shepherd Club agility trials and so we came across a lot of aussies and we realized Bro's head shape was actually just a big aussie head. Bro was all white, that was the extent of his resemblance to a pyr. The rest of him, the coat, the bone density, head and ears were not pyr. However, most people who are not pyr owners believed he looked just like a pyr.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Those DNA tests are a joke. I have asked numerous vets about them as well as other pet professionals. When I worked at Petsmart I had a co-worker buy two and then one of the vet's bought one. One did their test on a purebred border collie the other did hers on her purebred schnauzer and her Lab mix. Both purebred dogs came back as mixes and the Lab mix they said because both parents weren't purebred they couldn't give a result.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    their test on a purebred border collie the other did hers on her purebred schnauzer and her Lab mix. Both purebred dogs came back as mixes and the Lab mix they said because both parents weren't purebred they couldn't give a result.
    LOL, now I am even more tempted to get Ren tested one day...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    LOL, now I am even more tempted to get Ren tested one day...
    Hey when you do and your results come back as a Tibetan Mastiff mixed with a Pyrenees or something it will explain his amazingly thick fluffy coat.