Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Another thought is that she could possibly be a Saint Bernard/Anatolian mix. Sebastian's rescue had a litter of Saint/Anatolian puppies a while back, and if I remember correctly, some of the puppies resembled Pippa a little. It's not uncommon for shelters to see a large dog with double dewclaws and assume that they are Pyrs - not knowing that Saints and Anatolians can have them, too (as can a number of other breeds).

Full disclosure, though, Sebastian is a Saint/Pyr/Anatolian mix, so I often have Saints on the brain!

Also, I say Saint/Anatolian mix as opposed to Saint Pyr because the Saint/Pyrs that I have seen tend to have more of a white coat with reddish-brown spots. Also, Pippa's mask looks more Anatolian than Saint to me.

Do you have a picture of Sebastian when he was a puppy?

EDITED:

Never mind, I can see Sebastian has his own Facebook page! What a cutie!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Thank you! He was quite the mountain of mischief as a puppy, but that face of his kept him from getting in too much trouble!

I have the feeling that Pippa's cuteness will keep her out of trouble, too!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    I wonder if pyr x anatolian could throw solid red like that. Anatolians could have different colors and patterns but it seems they are not striking red like hers. But she's still pretty young and that color could lighten up.
    Very good point. Red not impossible in Anatolians but certainly not the norm. Anatolians tend to be more a fawn color and not so red. My Pyr x Swissy much more red like this...

In case someone is interested, the Humane Society where I got Pippa from has her listed as:

http://www.lenhumanesoc.org/content/puppies-are-coming

Great Pyrenees/Anatolian Shep/Mastiff mix
    will be extra large

You can all see all her sisters and brothers

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I can see where they got the Anatolian now...that Jersey!!

very interesting puppy mixes...but I think you got the cutest....!!!

That is an adorable group of puppies!

I agree that Jersey definitely looks like a classic Anatolian. I did a google image search both for Brindle Anatolian Shepherd and for Red Anatolian Shepherd, and some of the dogs in those image searches look a whole lot like those puppies.

Again, I am not an expert, but I think it's possible that they could be full Anatolian. There is a lot of variety within the breed, particularly with working dogs.

That is an adorable group of puppies!

I agree that Jersey definitely looks like a classic Anatolian. I did a google image search both for Brindle Anatolian Shepherd and for Red Anatolian Shepherd, and some of the dogs in those image searches look a whole lot like those puppies.

Again, I am not an expert, but I think it's possible that they could be full Anatolian. There is a lot of variety within the breed, particularly with working dogs.
    Oh no! I want a GP lol But I can see the Anatolian in her. Hopefully she is 50 GP 50 Anatolian

I went to Sebastian's rescue the first time, thinking that I wanted to adopt an older, female, full Saint at some point in the future (but not then). Of course, I fell in love with Sebastian that day, and the rest is history. I thought he was a full Saint at first. I didn't find out that he was part Pyr until after I had already decided to adopt him. The owner of his rescue and I figured out the Anatolian part later, as Sebastian's littermate boarded there when his family went out of town. Now that I see the Anatolian in him, I wonder what took us so long to figure it out. Even though his rescue says that they have a picture of his mother, and that she was a full rough-coated Saint, there are moments when I look at him and don't see any Saint at all.

He may not be the dog I thought I wanted, but he is 100% the dog I needed. He is the love of my life. His personality is nothing like any Saint I have ever met, but I will never love any dog more than I love him.

Since Pippa arrived at the shelter with her littermates, it is possible that they have information about her mother that they can share with you.

I went to Sebastian's rescue the first time, thinking that I wanted to adopt an older, female, full Saint at some point in the future (but not then). Of course, I fell in love with Sebastian that day, and the rest is history. I thought he was a full Saint at first. I didn't find out that he was part Pyr until after I had already decided to adopt him. The owner of his rescue and I figured out the Anatolian part later, as Sebastian's littermate boarded there when his family went out of town. Now that I see the Anatolian in him, I wonder what took us so long to figure it out. Even though his rescue says that they have a picture of his mother, and that she was a full rough-coated Saint, there are moments when I look at him and don't see any Saint at all.

He may not be the dog I thought I wanted, but he is 100% the dog I needed. He is the love of my life. His personality is nothing like any Saint I have ever met, but I will never love any dog more than I love him.

Since Pippa arrived at the shelter with her littermates, it is possible that they have information about her mother that they can share with you.
    Sebastian is so cute. He is so lucky to have you in his life.

Unfortunately, I know little about Pippa's mother. I wish they would have given me more information. The only thing that they told was that all the puppies came from a big farm in Tennessee with 150 dogs. Insane, right? I'm so happy that they all got adopted. They believe that either the mother or the dad is Pyr. But honestly, with so many dogs, who knows. At this point the mother could be pyr and the father Anatolian, or both Anatolian. I have no idea. There were also some mastiff in the farm, so to be safe, they had Pippa listed as: Pyr x Anatolian x Mastiff... Oh well... We'll see. I'm not concerned at all, but a part of me wants her to be partially GP because that's where I come from. The Pyrenees.

She loves people and other dogs, but she doesn't listen sometimes. I have to tell her come many times for her to come where I am. Not sure if it's because she is still a puppy or because it's her temperament. I love her though. I can't wait to grow old with her.

I will end up running some DNA test in the future to see what she really is.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
    Last edited by mikelg84; 04-28-2017 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Grammar typo

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Ha!!!

Selective hearing already!! Sounds like there is some Pyr in her!

As you probably know, Pyr's are not the best at commands....even tho as a pup they may seem to "get it" by the time they are 2 years old when you "ask" them to do something (like come) they look at you as if they have never heard those words before, and wonder if "come" is actually the act they should do at the time.

Some people call this stubborn, some even say the dog is stupid...neither...they are just acting as they were bred to do many years ago...think independently and act properly to the situation at hand....when a dog is out in the fields with their flock it's up to them to decide what is a threat & the proper action to take.

Since Pippa may have another LGD breed in her (Anatolian) this may mean that she is really an independent thinker!

Make your teaching times short & fun....coming to you have to means she's going to have fun or get a highly valued treat.

Since you lived in the Pyrenees, you may know something about theses dogs...if not...pick up a book on them & learn what helps motivate them. Pippa may never be the most biddable dog (like a Labrador or Golden) but she will be a great companion & your protector