Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Great Pyrenees mix puppy

Hello,

Last weekend I adopted Pippa and I couldn't be any happier. She is so calm and full of love. She loves meeting new people and doesn't mind other dogs. So far it has been very easy to potty train her. She hasn't had many accidents in the house

She loves her crate. She goes there at night without telling here to do so. She's getting better at walking on a leash. The first day that I took her out for a walk she would't move, but now I can walk her for 30-45 minutes without any problems.

I do have a question though. Since Pippa is a rescued dog, they couldn't tell me what other breed is she. At the Humane Society where I got her from, they assured me that she is GP mixed with either Mastiff (I don't see the Mastiff at all) or Anatolian Shepherd (can't see it either).

So I was just wondering if any of you who has a lot more experience than me could tell me if she really is a Pyrenean dog or not.

Thank you!

Mikel

P.S. Although I live in the US, I came from the North of Spain, exactly from a village by the Pyrenees
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6736.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	8622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6741.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	8623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6791.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	8624  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome to the forum, Mikel and Pippa!

Pippa is one seriously adorable puppy! How old do they think she is?

Looking at the markings on her face, I think that it is definitely possible that she has some Anatolian in her mix. However, it can be hard to tell with puppies, and I am definitely no expert.

I think as she grows, and you get to know her personality better, you will get a better idea of what breeds could have combined to create your sweet girl.

They do have the DNA tests, but the last I'd heard is that they aren't always 100% accurate in determining breed mix.

Whatever her mix is, she is absolutely precious! I look forward to learning more about her!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

She is adorable x cute, that's what she is!

She looks like she could be pyr x bernese mountain dog, or possibly anatolian x bernese mountain dog, or possibly pyr and something. Her mask is what is suggesting anatolian. I have a heavily masked 7 month old purebred pyr and because of his mask, we've had several people asked if he's an anatolian mix.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Does Pippa have double dew claws? Anatolian a definite possibility given her facial features. Also reminds me a great deal of our Pyr x Swissy pup we had. She had a much shorter coat than a purebred Pyr has. Looks like Pippa's coat is on the shorter side?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

She is adorable!

I just worked on a Pyr/Lab mix who had a sibling who looked just like Pippa. Missy also looked very similar to Pippa as a puppy marking wise and she is a Pyr/Berner mix so it's hard to tell what she is mixed with being so young. Either way she is adorable.

Thank you for the great comments! Pippa is doing so well. Yes, I would say that her coat is on the shorter side. And she definitely has double dew claws! She is 3 and half month old. My guess is that she is pyr and Anatolian, but it's too early to tell. I will keep you guys posted. I have been reading the forum for a couple of days and I love it! I find it very useful. I can't wait to participate more and learn from all of you. Can't believe growing up all I saw was Great Pyrenean dogs in my hometown in Spain, and now I can have my own GP in Michigan

Have a good day!

- Mikel

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

If Pippa is mixed with Anatolian, the breeds have more similarities than differences from my experience. Individual dogs have more differences but by and large, the basic breed characteristics are extremely similar and should do well with the same type of positive training methods. Id she has some of a softer breed dog mixed, she may be a bit more tractable but this will depend on which parent/breed she takes after. My Pyr x Swissy girl was all Pyr in temperament and my current Pyr mix a very soft and non-Pyr temperament. They are great dogs no matter where they fall. Just need to altar expectations.

Thank you

Jewel`s Photos

I wonder if pyr x anatolian could throw solid red like that. Anatolians could have different colors and patterns but it seems they are not striking red like hers. But she's still pretty young and that color could lighten up.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Another thought is that she could possibly be a Saint Bernard/Anatolian mix. Sebastian's rescue had a litter of Saint/Anatolian puppies a while back, and if I remember correctly, some of the puppies resembled Pippa a little. It's not uncommon for shelters to see a large dog with double dewclaws and assume that they are Pyrs - not knowing that Saints and Anatolians can have them, too (as can a number of other breeds).

Full disclosure, though, Sebastian is a Saint/Pyr/Anatolian mix, so I often have Saints on the brain!

Also, I say Saint/Anatolian mix as opposed to Saint Pyr because the Saint/Pyrs that I have seen tend to have more of a white coat with reddish-brown spots. Also, Pippa's mask looks more Anatolian than Saint to me.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian