Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post

Selective hearing already!! Sounds like there is some Pyr in her!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Pyrfect...you got it!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    I wonder if pyr x anatolian could throw solid red like that. Anatolians could have different colors and patterns but it seems they are not striking red like hers. But she's still pretty young and that color could lighten up.
    It is completely possible for that mix to throw off a solid red. We had a litter at GPRNC and there were solid reds in the mix. I have had people ask me if Missy was part Anatolian because of the red she is.

UPDATE:

Pippa is now 9 months old and she is a pretty good girl. My Great Pyr/Anatolian Shepherd likes to swim and sleep during the day.

We had some issues with barking at night, but we have made a lot of progress. She used to go outside and bark at things (animals and people). She would never bark inside the house unless we were vacuuming or making popcorn (she hates the sound of popcorn in the microwave). I knew I had to be patient with the barking issue and before I went crazy, I decided to try to understand what was going on in her head. For the past three months I have been taking her to a dog park where she plays with other dogs for around an hour a day. This parks is in the middle of a forest, it's around 8 acres and fully fenced. There are trees, hills, a river, and small animals inside the park. It's $20/year but totally worth it. I also take her for extensive walks in the woods, and I believe that has helped a lot. I think she is more aware of the stimulus outside (people, animals, smells...) and somehow she has managed to understand that such things exist outside the house, and that if she behaves well, every day she will be in contact with those stimulus. So, for those people who are dealing with bark issues, maybe it could be a good idea to have your dog face those stimulus frequently so your dog is more relaxed at home. But I'm not an expert. Spending 2 hours a day exclusively with your dog is tough though. She is good with people too, but she interacts with people every day at the park. Sometimes when friends come over to my house, she gets a little bit excited and jumps on our guests but when you tell her to stop, 10 times though, she actually stops.

Something that I have not been able to "fix" is digging. I honestly don't know what to do. She does not dig when we're at the park, walking in the woods, etc... But she loves to dig in the yard, when she is by herself. She has a thing for squirrels and birds too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7710.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	9187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8040.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	9185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8041.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	9186  

Jewel`s Photos

Pippa is sooooooo pretty!!! And that's a mighty impressive hole she dug

I know of several people that make a designated digging spot. Maybe they'll chime in on how they did it.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Shr is so pretty!. DIGGING! Our Sir Moose loves todig. he has dug in the sand under the cedar tree where it is socool. BUT he has also dug in other spots where there is sand in the shade. We just had to putupnew fence after Hurricane Harvey and that meant removing snapped off posts set in 2 feet of dement, etc. Lots of digging. Well, that mean sand forhim to do in and he has done so. We actually put 16X16 stones along the fence, but he found a couple of places..

He is really good about sitting and laying down and coming when called. I usually just have to say "Sir Moose, in" and he comes in from wherever heis in the yard. Barking...well, we sometimes think he sleeps somuch in the day so he can stay away and listen for boogers at night!
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Pippa is absolutely gorgeous!

Both of my dogs love to dig. When we first moved to our current house, the backyard had a thick carpeting of Asiatic Jasmine, which the dogs quickly killed. For the moment, our yard is in really sad shape. To avoid them making things even worse, I agreed to let them have one (1) hole they can work on. Itís in a part of the yard that is out of the way, so there is little risk of me falling into it and breaking my ankle. I make sure that when they are outside, I am somewhere where I can watch them, and shoo them away if they try to dig anywhere that is not ďtheir holeĒ. I have to say, Iím pretty impressed by their handiwork. During periods of heavy rain, it turns into a tiny little pond.

When I do finally figure out exactly which type of sod to put in back there, I plan on setting aside an approved spot for digging, in hopes that they donít tear up the whole yard. Fingers crossed that it goes well!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

I feel "relieved" that not only Pippa but also Sebastian and Moose are big diggers. I'm going to let Pippa have a hole to work on and "have fun".

Thank you guys.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Pippa is a beautiful girl, I love the red.... and she is so proud and happy of that hole! That dog park you belong to sounds amazing! my baby is almost 5 months and I have to say digging is his favorite skill... We let him have a dig spot then we'll fill it in and he'll get to make another, but that is in my back yard which is mostly slabs of I want to say slate but the word is escaping me LOL... and then the entire outer sides are just dirt for gardening... I think a designated area to dig is a great idea plus he has so much fun at it!