Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Barking 6 month Pyrenees Mix

I know, silly title as everyone should know pyrs bark, and apparently like the sound of their bark, thus more bark.
    My question: does my 6 month old Kali, barking at the wind, birds, airplanes, trucks on the other block, moths, get used to these common background noises and bark less as she gets older? I would guess (and hope) so. I know she is not putting out an angry or viscious bark, really its just a big, deep, bark, fairly neutral in emotion, but loud.

This barking in her yard just started about 1 week ago, and she has also become more vocal in the house too. The communication barks are appropriate, just loud. I can live with the inside barks, they are meant to convey a message.
    I am more concerned about the outside barking. Trying to be a considerate neighbor, and some amount of barking is expected, but I swear she just likes the resonance of her barks in the yard!

She is teething like crazy now, so maybe she is annoyed easily due to the dental discomfort. I hear a light wimper occasionally, giving her a frozen towel to gum on. She seems to like it. Noticed slight bleeding in some gum areas, missing some teeth. See some big ones come in too!

I guess if I had size 16 teeth growing into a size 10 mouth, I'd be barking too.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by rx4bills View Post
    My question: does my 6 month old Kali, barking at the wind, birds, airplanes, trucks on the other block, moths, get used to these common background noises and bark less as she gets older?
    I don't know... she's a mix of two very barky breeds....

It is very normal for pyr pups to go through a seemingly nonstop barking phase anywhere between 6-9 months. My 1/2 pyr mix actually didn't inherit that barky gene so we never had a barking issue with him. But my 3 purebreds were/is definitely barky. As they mature, they do generally become more judicious about what they bark at. However, it is also very common for pyrs to insist on having the last word if there is another dog in the neighborhood barking. They also tend to engage in the "announcement bark" once the sun sets to let the entire neighborhood know that they are on duty. That type of "announcement bark" can go on for a long time. It's not a super loud bark, and it's not insistent, but it's just something they keep up for a while when they feel like it. That's why I usually bring mine in before 10 p.m. My neighborhood is pretty tolerant though.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Have to say that my Pyr mixes have all been much more barky than my Kangal dogs although they too are considered a "barky" breed. My experience with pups is that they will be come more judicious about barking as they comprehend what they are seeing and hearing but it may be a while. My Pyr x Anatolian boy and Pyr x Aussie girl were almost two before the endless alerts were toned down a notch. My present Pyr mix girl pretty much barks all night long but there is a noticeable rhyme and reason to it. She makes rounds around "her" area in a very methodical fashion and anything outside of that is generally for a good reason.

I see, so she is just starting to get good at it

My goodness, she has a big bark for a almost 6 month pup. Yes, maybe it is more of an "announcement" bark, making her presence known, to all. I will try positive feedback to comfort her in the uncertain wilderness of our backyard. I really don't mind the big bark, when there is a real situation, just hope the needless bark doesn't last too long (fingers crossed).

Thanks for the feedback, I really am enjoying my little Kali. She has done wonders for encouraging the family to pick up stuff normally we leave around. That or it gets chewed and destroyed

Jewel`s Photos

With my first pyr, we were actually able to tell her "no barking" if she were barking in the backyard and she would actually stop... well... ok... so she wouldn't actually just shut up but close enough to what we needed her to do. Once told "no barking" she would continue to bark, except in soto voce, so that she made a point of continuing to bark but not get in trouble with us...

Bijou my last female, was not as easily dissuaded. I tried shaking a can filled with coins and she would turn her head, look at me, look at the can, then went right back to barking.

Ren my current 7 month old started barking pretty early but started to bark a lot more at 5 months going into 6. His barking isn't over the top by pyr standards but it can be annoying when we are watching TV... He has separation anxiety issues that we are working on right now and so he doesn't stay out in the backyard by himself for any prolonged period of time. The unintended benefit of that is that we don't need to worry about barking bothering the neighbors.

Well, at 7 months old, Kali is barking more than ever. I hope this is the peak of the barky efforts and it tones down from here

In the daytime, she roams the backyard and barks at stuff I can barely hear, same in the evenings. She has a habit of being outside watching her yard till about 9pm, then comes inside and is about ready to settle down and go to sleep by 10pm. I didn't help that one day she was laying down on the porch and a small bunny crosses our patio. Of course that set all the wheels in motion, and she fortunately didn't catch the bunny, but I think now she is looking for it to appear again. She still barks in conversation with some dogs that are almost a block away, barely audible to me, but she hears them. The good thing is I can redirect her when in a barking frenzy to come and do some exercises with me, working with treats, practicing heeling, sit, down, play some Frisbee. Keeps her quiet a bit. Rather than negative responses to her barking, I have been praising her when barking, transitioning to doing the other activities. Read this somewhere. Yelling at her never has worked. Positive praise seems to reassure her. I have read that wonderful book, "Other end of the leash", and will read it again. Lots of good info there in the psychology of dog, especially our dog.