Current Great Pyrenees Owner

a601mom`s Photos

Unhappy Ike loses his kitty

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO_20170117_171145.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	8607

Sad weekend for us. My granddaughter brought a 2 month old kitten into the house when Ike was 7 months old. Kodak and Ike immediately bonded, to the point that every time I took Ike on a walk, the kitten joined us. Wednesday, the kitten was nowhere to be found. Each time we went for a walk Ike would hunt for him in all his favorite places and was obviously upset. Friday afternoon, my neighbor found Kodak dead on her front porch. No signs of trauma just looked like he went to sleep and never woke up. Before we buried him, I took Ike over to where Kodak was. Ike smelled him, ruffled his fur and then wanted to go back inside. So sad...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

That is sad and I am sorry for the loss of your kitty. We lost our cat, Pippi, 11 years ago--had her for 17 years. Her best friends was the 3 pound Chihuahua next door, and a fox terrier, Prissy from 3 houses down. Pippi was an outside cat who actually stayed right in our yard. When shed saw Mary coming with Prissy,she would go down to the sidewalk to greet her. Whenour neighbors let their 3 Chihuahuas out Tara always came straight to greet Pippi, and Pippi went to greet her. Pippi was twice as tall, more than twice as long and about 3 times heavier than Tara.

I have had dogs grieve when we would lose another. KayCee and Hunter were littermates (golden retrievers) and when ProHeart6 killed Hunter, KayCee grieved for a month or so andit took our younger golden, Honey, to puller out of it. They bcame best buds and when KayCee wastaken by cancer just before her 9th birthday, Honey refused to stay outside where she and KayCee had napped together, played with the dogs behind us together, etc. Animals can and do grieve.
    Jerry and Moose

Tessy`s Photos

That is so sad. None of my pets have had to deal with a dead pet friend. Just recently, we rescued a cat and her four kittens. We wanted them to be outdoor barn cats that would deal with the mice. But, we got too connected to them over the winter, and decided to keep them indoors. One of the kittens looks just like the kitten in your picture.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I'm sorry to hear about yours and Ike's loss. Unfortunately Missy has suffered the loss of not only human family members, but also four legged family members. I know Missy grieved for a long time over the loss of Monty her older Shar Pei brother and then just one week short of a year she lost Tipsy one of her cats. It was rough on her needless to say. Now she has two kitten siblings who love her a lot, but pretty sure sometimes she wishes the original one we planned on keeping stayed alive instead of the twin terrors.