Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rachel's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Whining/yelping when pooping?

About four times over the past two weeks or so I have heard or seen Fin whining or yelping while having a bowel movement. He has had completely normal bowel movements with no pain during this time, but I'm troubled by the yelping as I know Pyrs have high pain tolerances (so something must be up). I made an appointment for Tuesday (I anticipate a long appointment and can't get off work until then) but I wanted to see if any of you had heard of this or experienced this to see if there are any tips I can try in the meantime.

Some more info: the times he does yelp or whine, he'll have just gotten out a bit of stool that seems wider than normal but is also shorter (as if he stops pooing abruptly), he'll cry out, jump forward and out of his squat, and then sometimes a few minutes later he'll try again and have a good poo (and other times he has no interest in going again til much later). The poo has no blood, it's normal brown, well-formed. The times he yelps it seems like it might be a bit drier than the times he poos without incident, but it's not the pebbly look of constipation either. I don't see any irritation at his rear though he did have some dried poo around his fur that I tried to clean off (always a struggle as he hates things under his tail). He is just as perky on his walks as usual and seems mostly himself despite. He is eating well.

Right now I'm wondering if it could be constipation...he has never been one to drink a lot of water and lately it's been even more of a struggle (he will only drink water from the toilet, outside my car right after a walk, or outside in the yard from a special bowl; I have to mix something in his water in the house to get him to drink inside). Is it possible for dogs to have normal bowel movements while also being constipated? I was thinking about mixing goats milk into water in the house to try and get his fluid consumption up, does anyone know any other methods to get them to drink more?

He also loves to destroy paper towel rolls and toilet paper rolls. He doesn't swallow the pieces (that I can tell) but I'm wondering if he could have a small obstruction from a swallowed bit of cardboard?

Another guess is his hips but I really really hope it isn't that i haven't tried any pain medication yet because he takes Prozac which limits what pain meds he can take.

If anyone has had this happen or has any ideas, I would be very grateful!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Your situation reminded me of this thread from a few years back:

http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showth...ain+defecation

I feel like if he had something obstructing his intestines, he would be showing signs of serious illness or distress. A small dog I know who swallowed part of a tennis ball had terrible vomiting and diarrhea for days before he passed the piece. Sebastian has had several pseudo obstructions (also known as paralytic ileus), and showed clear signs of distress each time.

If you feel like he's not getting enough water, you can try adding canned pumpkin or a bit of wet food to his kibble to see if the increased moisture helps him while you wait to take him in.

Sending lots of good energy that this is something minor, and that your vet can figure it out before it gets too expensive!

Please keep us posted.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Hoping nothing serious too! Good that his stools look fairly normal, and he has an appetite. Always good to keep dogs well hydrated but they drink when they want. I would think any type of infection would affect the appearance of the stools, his energy, and appetite. We have had several Golden Retrievers that tended to swallow stuff, get blockages. One swallowed drip irrigation stuff, the other a rock, and once a dish rag. Each time the stools got smaller, watery, difficulty passing, due to obstruction. I like canned pumpkin too (not the pumpkin pie filling), just regular can pumpkin. Soothes intestines, makes stools easier to pass, somewhat helps inflammation too. Doesn't hurt. Sounds like some irritation on passing stools, the Vet can check that. If Finn runs and plays normal, not as likely to suspect neurological or hip issues. Some food ingredients may be irritating too, so a review may be in order.
    Do you deworm on a bi-annual or annual basis? Something I have been thinking about as preventative since we had giardia when Kali was a puppy, then worried about tapeworms. Sorry about the shotgun response, keep us posted and will try to focus response as more info is known. Healthy thoughts!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Ya know one thing I do with mine, is when I use canned veggies I give the dogs the water off of them. Also, have you tried giving him refrigerated water, or adding ice cubes? Apollo loves ice I will sometimes fill a bowl up with ice cubes and he chews it up. The pumpkin is a great idea, along with adding moisture it fixes poop, whether he is constipated, or has diarrhea will get his stools healthy.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Sounds like wat one of my rescued feral pup had a year ago.. a constipation problem.
    Dry puppy kibble is the cause, so switch to canned food or watery chicken porridge...meaty soups to get her to drink more. Our vet also gave duphaloc to ease her pain when pooping. After that incident she doesn't have the problem again, I am not sure why maybe she grew out of it...maybe she chews less "rubbish"...perhaps home-cooked food (with some kibble for convenience).

It's really funny how co-incidently (timing-wise and i am sorry if this may sound gross too...) We had some really sweet gorgeous navel oranges just yesterday when my daughter made a comment that the base of the navel oranges looked excatly like the puppy's anal when it was constipated... I had truly forgotten until she brought it up

Road Dawg

Have you considered a problem with swollen or infected anal glands? One of my old dogs had issues with his anal glands no expressing themselves regularly and he'd get an infection. It hurt for him to poop and another sign was that the base of his tail would be straight out with the rest of the tail relaxed.

Christine

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rachel's Avatar

Thank you all for the advice! I ended up taking him to a walk-in vet on Saturday morning because he was crying every time he pooed and it was breaking my heart. She expressed his anal glands and said if he wasn't better by Monday that x-rays would probably be the next step. Said he didn't feel constipated (no hard mass in his colon or tummy) and said his anal glands didn't look infected, but I'm still wondering about both constipation and infected anal glands. SebastiansMom, the thread you linked sounds a lot like what Fin is going through and that dog's multiple vet visits missed his infected anal glands, so I might ask for antibiotics to try just in case if this keeps on. He hasn't been on antibiotics in at least a year so I don't think it would hurt anything to try!

One thing I forgot to mention to the vet on Saturday was that a week or two before all this started, I switched Fin's homemade portion of his diet from ground chicken/turkey + parboiled rice to chicken/turkey + sweet potato, and now I'm wondering if the sweet potato caused some digestive issues and previous constipation that possibly caused a fissure or tear in his rear? Maybe the higher moisture content of the rice was helping to keep things on track and then the switch to sweet potato plus his dislike for drinking water caused issues. We asked the vet and she said fissures/tears are really rare, but the way he acts makes me certain it's something "superficial"...his pain comes right as he's trying to get the poo out and when the poo is soft he doesn't seem to be in much pain. The times he's cried out the worst are the times it's been dry and hard. I started making him "soup" (basically mixing unsalted chicken stock and water with a bit of rice and turkey or chicken) a few times throughout the day and a day or so after increasing his liquids his stool got a lot softer and he hasn't cried out since early Sun morning (he had two poos Sunday afternoon where he didn't cry.) He hasn't pooed today yet but I'm hoping the increased water content (I also gave him a canine stool softener yesterday-- it's basically just psyllium husk and pumpkin) will continue helping him.

One thing I noticed yesterday during one of his "successful" poos was a dreaded tapeworm segment! I saw rx4bills mentioned parasites and I hadn't even considered it before because his stool sample was clean during his annuals and I've never seen any fleas on him recently! Waiting to get in contact with my vet to treat the tapeworms...now I'm wondering if the tapeworms could have anything to do with his recent digestive issues or if it's just an unfortunate (and costly) coincidence.

Assuming he's able to poo without pain this evening as well, I'm probably going to ask the vet about treating the tapeworms (and maybe getting antibiotics) and giving it a few more days before resulting to imaging scans. Ordinarily I'd want to x-ray and ultrasound for everything under the sun, but money is extremely tight right now and I'm afraid to drop hundreds on unnecessary testing since everything is still so vague...hopefully a few more days will enable me to either see encouraging improvement or at least completely rule out some more simple causes. Of course, if he's yelping again once I get home this afternoon, I'll take him into his regular vet tomorrow for the first appointment I scheduled.

Hope Finn is doing better! Hard to replace the skills of a good Vet. I'm a retired pharmacist so I am probably guilty of self medication with my dogs, more than most. Stool sample is always a good test. Only thing that bothers me is some Vets have really bumped up the charges on testing stool samples, so good to ask up front on that. As for tapeworms and treatment, I've used Panacur, its a 3 days treatment, get on Amazon about $25 for 80 lb dog. Just as a reference point for you.

No signs of scooting his butt along the ground, licking the anal area excessively, signs of itching there?

I agree with the idea of a course of antibiotics too, at least a mild one.

Sending your pup healthy thoughts!