Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Oh...rx... FYI...dogs get teeth for almost a year....our little McNab/Aussie is 18 month old and he still loves ice cubes!!

we started giving them to him when he was a young guy & teething...as you can imagine it helps numb the pain associated with teething...

you can also try wetting an old washcloth & freezing it, then let her "play" with it...just like a teething ring...can make a bit of a mess, but the alternative of "shark" teeth on skin is worth it...I would usually keep 2-3 in the freezer just to keep my pups busy.

Jewel`s Photos

Yep, at 5.5 months she'd be right in the middle of teething. Ren is just about 7 months and he's sporting a brand new set of very pearly white big boy teeth. The big canines were the last ones that came in and they are still growing.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I was also concerned about the 5 mins in the crate for a time out being associated with dislike for the crate. She is so good now going into the crate at bedtime, for short periods during the day (1-2 hrs) during grocery runs, etc. Hate to ruin that, so yes I stay nearby, she still sees me, but I try not to interact with her for a few mins. Exiting the crate is a upbeat experience. Maybe I am expecting a bit much, but she seems to process pretty well.

So, my wonderful little girl will be popping teeth till she is over 1 yr old? Oh my. I've lost ten pounds since we adopted the pup, looks like I might lose some more.

Well, at least I'm not putting peanut butter on Kobi's ears .... yet

Still doing well with the PB kisses exercises.

Oh yeah, suddenly she is the guardian of our back yard. I think she likes hearing herself bark. Those birds and moths are in for a surprise if her needle sharp teeth catches up to them!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Usually, the active phase of teething, when the baby teeth fall out and adult teeth come in, ends when they are somewhere around 6 or 7 months old. However, it takes some time for the new teeth to come in completely. Their gums and jaws tend to be pretty sore for months afterward, as they adjust to holding teeth that are just a little too big for their mouths. I don't know if you've seen those ads for Dentastix that have the dogs with gigantic human teeth. That's kind of what Sebastian's mouth looked like after all of his big boy teeth came in. Fortunately, the rest of his mouth eventually caught up, and his teeth now look more normal.

Sebastian was a very destructive chewer up until he was roughly a year old. By the time he was two, the destructive behavior had, for the most part, stopped.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by rx4bills View Post
    Oh yeah, suddenly she is the guardian of our back yard. I think she likes hearing herself bark.
    That is typical for a purebred pyr at that age. Ren is going through the same barky phase. He is also going through a chasing bugs, birds, and squirrels stage.

Ren is just about 7 months old and his teeth have all come in. But they are not done growing. Right now, just like SM said, he's got all this big boy teeth crammed into a teenager's mouth. It basically looks like there are too many teeth for the size of the mouth. I can see some of the teeth jammed right against the one behind it and how the gums are kind of red between the jammed teeth. I expect him to grow a good bit in the next couple of months. There is a big growth push between the age of 6 to 9 months.

Ren is not known to be a destructive chewer of our stuff though. But I do provide him with quite a bit of chewing options. We buy the bones they sell at pet stores, I give him knuckle bones from the grocery stores and he gets beef ribs packed with meat and other types of chew treats like pig ears, fish skin and bullysticks (which he is not that crazy over). So he usually sticks with stuff that we give him to chew. On the other hand, I noticed some time ago that Ren is not interested in dog chew toys, such as the Nyla bone type hard chew toys. So instead I got him bathroom brushes, tooth brushes, and spatulas that are hard plastic that he can chew but not really break easily as his chew toys. He is far more interested in stuff that the humans use than toys designed specifically for dogs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I found pictures!

Here is Sebastian's mouth when he was about 6.5 months old
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	8591

Here he is now that his mouth is big enough for all of those monster teeth
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2335.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	8593

It's no wonder his mouth was so sore!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2370.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	8592  
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Sebastian was a very destructive chewer up until he was roughly a year old. By the time he was two, the destructive behavior had, for the most part, stopped.
    By the time Kali hits 2 yrs, our 4 bdrm house will be reduced to 2 bdrms, and we could be sitting on lawn chairs. Well, hoping the chewing destruction at least slows soon, she has increased desire to be out in the back yard, monitoring, and often just picking up sticks or branches to chew on. I am ok with that, till she tries to bring the branch into the house to chew on. She really is so much fun to interact with, getting talkative. I talk to her, she barks back. Not a mean bark, just a bark, but her bark is getting more like a big dog bark now so fairly loud. Barkers and diggers, yup, I see it.

Sebastian is such a handsome dog! I can see our Kali has the eyes and ears of a Pyr, more the muzzle of a GSD. I need to check out her teeth, see if any of the needle sharp teeth have been replaced yet.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by rx4bills View Post
    I am ok with that, till she tries to bring the branch into the house to chew on.
    Maybe if you let her bring them inside to chew on, she would leave you some furniture. When my boy was teething, he had some favorite pine logs and took one everywhere with him. Very inexpensive chew toy and it was his favorite.