Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default 4 month Pyr/Gsd mix female biting older dog

We adopted a wonderful rescue pup, female, at 9wks old, Pyr/Gsd mix. Very affectionate, smart, lots & lots of energy super sharp needle puppy teeth. Been in puppy school with her, doing well, housetrained pretty quick. Never pooped in house, knows to go to back door to go out. Pee in house few times as accidents. All in all, going well. We know going in that a Pyr would be different than the previous golden retriever or GSD pups we had, but the stubbornness and strong personality was still a surprise. Kali is now 18 weeks old, about 42 lbs, the biting to us is much better, my god she chews on everything, mostly rugs though, when she can navigate through the sea of chew toys we got her. Hoping her adult teeth come soon and chewing slows.

Our issue is we have a 8 yr old Golden Retriever male, very sweet, and they got along awesome from the beginning. Kali would cuddle up to our Golden, they can sleep next to each other, she totally is comfortable with him. Well, he is the sweetest Golden, hardly a mean bone in his body. Issue is Kali, since day one, when she plays she likes to bite the Golden's ears, head, cheeks, fur, legs. Sometimes not too hard, but I have found scabs on his head. He will loudly scold her, growl a bit, Kali runs and backs up, then charges back onto his head again. She just loves jumping onto the poor older dog and chewing on him. Kali is getting pretty big now, and I am worried it will be too much for our old Golden. As is, I separate them for hours at a time so my Golden can rest, take a nap, he appreciates it. I take Kali for walks, play Frisbee, burn off some of her energy, but she honestly has more energy than me.

I have to think as she gets older, she will slow, and be less physically playful, but is that a fair estimate?

Our last female GSD probably would have put this pup in her place, but our Golden was never an alpha type dog, always deferring to our former GSD female.

Do we have hope?

btw, the suggestion of peanut butter on fingers worked really well. She never bit the fingers with the peanut butter, only licked. We will continue to practice with this exercise to maintain her gentleness with us. The thought of peanut butter on my Golden's ears seems a bit messy

I usually distract Kali from biting Kobi's (the golden) head/ears with a quick practice exercise of sit/down/come using treats.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Well, yes you do have hope, but I would suggest a flirt pole and some mental energy training type stuff with her. You can buy a flirt pole, but I made one with a mop handle, paracord and a big rope toy. Apollo couldn't be around other dogs, was fairly high energy and the biting/teething was horrific. We have scars from being chewed on, but ya know a tired dog is a good dog, and I wore him out with the flirt pole, then let him chew on a frozen rope toy. We always had about 10 in the freezer for him. I also buy marrow bones at the grocery store, in the meat department, I ask the butcher to cut into about 3 inch lengths. They are also called soup bones, basically just femur bones. The marrow is very nutritious, and they would keep his attention for a good long time. My suggestion would be watch a video on how to use the flirt pole get the pup good and drained and then do short 5 to 10 minute training sessions throughout the day and see if she calms down. I am older and kind of low energy so the flirt pole was a god send! You just basically turn in a circle while the dog chases the toy Apollo is close to 3 now and is much lower energy, and has no desire to chase the flirt pole anymore. As I recall the chewing/biting/maiming slowed way way way down at around 8 month. THe flirt pole was the biggest factor. So was doing the "kisses" command.

Another thing my boy really enjoyed was the Yak Milk Bones, they are kinda pricey, but last quite a long time. Well worth the cost.

Christi`s Photos

Now the idea of the sweet kisses is to teach the command. Say she is biting the golden tell her hey sweet kisses, when she licks give her a treat to reinforce. I would do that several times a day just to keep it fresh in his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Christi View Post
    Now the idea of the sweet kisses is to teach the command. Say she is biting the golden tell her hey sweet kisses, when she licks give her a treat to reinforce. I would do that several times a day just to keep it fresh in his mind.
    Thank you for the tips! I will put together a flirt pole! Sounds like a good exercise! Hoping the kisses command helps with the chewing on the old dog too. I've worked harder with this pup than all our previous pups combined (over 30 yrs), but I really feel she has lots of potential to be an awesome dog when she matures a bit. She has good grasp of the basic commands, learns fast, but acknowledges the commands when she is ready

Trying to expose her to lots of social stuff, go places, meet people and dogs. She really is my sidekick. Since I'm retired now, I can give Kali quite a bit of attention to training, outings, playtime. Sure, it kinda exhaust me, but she's only a puppy once, right?

Christi`s Photos

One day, you will miss the puppy antics. Pyrs really are hard dogs to train and live with, but totally worth it in the end. So many times I just wanted to throw in the towel with mine, but I made a commitment and then he would do something sweet and I would forget that 10 minutes before I couldn't do this. It gets easier, the shark teeth fall out and then it is far more pleasant.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

rx4bills....as Christi says...this too shall pass...

but I wonder if you shouldn't let Kobe continue to "scold" her, she may finally "get it" that she is playing too rough & she needs to respect him....growls are a good tool

and I think it's great that you are home to help her through this stage of her life...and yes...exercise...exercise...exercise...you've heard the old saying...."a tired dog is a good dog"!!

Nancy & Rudy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy is as gentle as they come now...so they do grow out of it. Honestly it sounds like she is playing with your Golden as if he was another Pyr or large dog. Let's just say when you get two big dogs together they play bitey face and make the walls shake by slamming into them. Now that's not a good thing for an older dog and your Golden may very well get tired of it and scold her enough to where she stops. Until then though like Christi said a tired dog is a good dog. With Kali being part GSD it might take her longer to wear out and because GSD's have a prey drive that flirt pole will be your best friend. I tell my clients who get new hyper dogs about the flirt pole all the time. Missy has no prey drive or urge to fetch so it never worked for her, but I have made some for clients and they thanked me for it.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by rx4bills View Post
    I have to think as she gets older, she will slow, and be less physically playful, but is that a fair estimate?
    A lot of that depends on how much GSD she is exhibiting. If she's got the energy of the GSD, she may not slow down much for the next several years. However, if she's more GSD, her energy can be channeled into training and other focused mental and physical work. If she's got the energy level more like a pyr, then she may start to slow down by the time she's two.

The best way really to help your golden is to find ways for the pup to play with other young dogs. We are raising a pup right now without the help of an adult dog - a first for us. What we found with him was when he turned 3 months old, his energy level shot up 25% overnight. Then when he turned 4 months old the energy level shot up another 30% literally overnight. We were no match for him and he was driving us nuts counter surfing and playing rough with us. I started taking him to daycare to play with other dogs. That was the key to his not using his human parents as chew toys. He is now 6 months old and we take him to daycare once a week, have play dates during weekends, we go to the dog park, and take him on trails where it's safe to let him run offleash. Mind you, he is actually not every high energy, not compared to my prior two (my last female pyr was very high energy for a pyr). Even then, it requires planning to make sure he is adequately exercised.

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    rx4bills....as Christi says...this too shall pass...

but I wonder if you shouldn't let Kobe continue to "scold" her, she may finally "get it" that she is playing too rough & she needs to respect him....growls are a good tool

and I think it's great that you are home to help her through this stage of her life...and yes...exercise...exercise...exercise...you've heard the old saying...."a tired dog is a good dog"!!

Nancy & Rudy
    Thank you all for the helpful, encouraging comments! I do let Kobi have his time scolding Kali, and he get pretty loud with the verbal shouts at her. Loud enough that with teeth baring and doggie yelling, she backs up, often hunkers down, or backs up for a bit. However, tenacious little pup she is, she comes bounding back for more. She probably just feels so comfortable with him, and I believe its really just energetic play, not any sort of aggression or viciousness. Still, I agree he needs to scold and "school" her, and try to let them have their quality time together. I think it is getting a little better!