Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default my GP mix ran away on Saturday

Hi! I am a first time Pyr owner. My Biscuit, a Great Pyr mix ran out the open gate on Saturday, March 11 about 6am with his sister pit mix. She finally came back on Sunday, March 12 at 5 pm. I am so worried about Biscuit. My south back yard is attached to about 40 acres of field and forest that use to have horses or cows in it. Across a lightly traveled 2 lane highway there is thousands of acres with very few houses or roads. I walked for two hours on it Sunday trying to find my big guy. I found some paw prints and what I believe was his fur on some barb wire at a place that would have been a pretty logical entrance point. There is a heavily traveled 2 lane highway about 1/10th of a mile west from my house. How far will he go?

Would he stay in a fenced in pasture?

He has always stayed just fine in my fenced yard. he has never tried to dig out or climb over. I have driven 5 miles in every direction and realized that if he stays off the roads, I will never find him. I picked him up off the highway about a year ago and he weighed only 55lbs. it took me three days before I got hold of him and I probably wouldn't have except he had laid down right on the edge of the highway. I thought he was dead! He is doing so well. He weighs about 95lbs now. He and my other dogs went running once before but they all came back on the same day.

After I found him, I could not even begin to guess what his genetic make up was so I used a doggy DNA site and the results were 50% purebred GP and 50% too mixed to know.

Any and all advice is appreciated!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

sorry to hear your guy went walk about...

paste his picture on Facebook..if you do that kinf of thing

go around & distribute his photo & your number to neighbors....vet's office, local humane society

put up posters every where!!! grocery stores, feed stores, Home Depot...

make the back ground of the poster board a bright color....put his photo in the middle of it..make it large....and put it on every road you can think of that he might wander onto...

finally...can you leave the other dogs in a secured area so that you can leave your gate open in case he wanders back home?

please let us know if he returns..

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rachel's Avatar

I second everything nick's spirit said! I would also probably email or call every Pyr rescue in a very large radius...(TN, Mississippi, Arkansas, AL); often times humane societies/pounds will call breed-specific rescues when they receive dogs who they think are pureblooded or close to it, so it's possible that if he ends up at a humane society he won't be there for long because a breed-specific rescue will pick him up (or at least that's how it is in GA). There are much fewer rescues than human societies so even if he ends up in a humane society in a really small town that you wouldn't think to call and check, it's possible that humane society would automatically call the nearest Pyr rescue in the state, so if the rescue knows about your situation you've got a good chance at being contacted when one matching your boy's description comes in. I would research and call every single one!

Any chance of getting a search group together to try and search at least some of the 40 acres behind your house or the large expanse past the 2 lane highway? if it's not too densely wooded, could you get people on bikes or 4 wheelers (assuming this wouldn't spook your boy-- mine would try to chase them!) to try and cover a lot of land? I would absolutely make signs (sort of like campaign signs) and stick them on both sides of the highway, as many as you can, with "LARGE WHITE DOG, LOST, (PHONE NUMBER)" in huge, bold letters (as many people might not know what a pyr looks like immediately). You could even put REWARD which might get attention easier. I would also try to get in touch with the few people you mentioned who live on the acres past the 2 lane highway...I know you said there are only a few houses, but if you could take a day to travel and put flyers in mailboxes of the houses you can get to or even knock on doors and talk to the people, they might be able to help if he happens upon their property.

Let us know what happens!

Puppy (New Member)

Hi! Thank you for your tips! Today, i printed up flyers and got my sister started distributing them. Almost the first house she stopped at said they had seen him. They chased him away!!! She said she had seen him yesterday and chased him off cause he was eating garbage. Just a little down the road, another lady said she had seen him today. he is right at the edge of 1 mile away. We walked the fields looking for him before it got too dark. A lady that lives behind the houses that saw him let me set up a crate with a bedsheet and some food. I am thinking of asking a drone pilot to come here tomorrow and fly over the fields. He said he could cover 40 acres in 10 minutes. Keep your fingers crossed that I can get him home soon. i really wish I had gotten him tonight.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I am sending good energy your way, in the hopes that you find your sweet boy tomorrow! I can't imagine how scary this must be for all of you! I hope he is home soon!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I am sending positive energy your way. I hope you get him back soon.

Puppy (New Member)

Just wanted to let you all know that Biscuit came home last night!!!! Literally as soon as I finished typing my previous reply, I noticed my Chihuahua mix look at something out the front door. Then he sniffed at the crack under the door and just as I got up to see what was there, Biscuit kicked the door!!! He was so happy to be home. We were so happy to have him home. Funny, as soon as he finished greeting everyone (me, my son, and the other three dogs) he ran out the dog door and secured the perimeter of the yard. Then he came back in to eat and have lots more cuddles. This forum really helped my to have hope each day that he would come home. Thank you all so much!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Such great news!!!

bet he got lots of wonderful hugs & treats....now he really knows what a wonderful home he has!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I am so happy to hear that he made it home safe and sound!!!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian