Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

I totally agree with your point, I'm not wanting to train an attack dog. Most of my rescues of various breeds, including three basset hounds, have acted as alert dogs though it was certainly not encouraged.
    As mentioned before, I'm hoping my older golden, Jesse, will help guide Darcy to life on the farm. I never expected a golden to act as an alert dog, much less stop someone from approaching me with ill intent and yet, he stepped up when needed. Seeing Jesse accept the comings and goings of family and friends, staying nearby while I feed and train horses, chilling inside while I work from home, and go to the feed store, Lowe's and the park to walk with friends will give Darcy an idea of what to expect as well as a canine buddy. After some time getting to know my husband and I both inside and walking around the farm where we'll spend the most time near the house and barn (we have 140 acres but Darcy will be kept on about 10), we'll introduce people and places.
    I hope to post pictures later this week, I'm sure I'll take a few Tuesday when he finally comes home.

Young Dawg (Member)

Finally, Mr Darcy is home. Approx 10 month old adopted from local animal shelter. I walked him around the barn a bit, introduced him to the horses from a distance then brought him in, threw a chew toy in the crate to see his reaction. He walked right in and laid down. He met one of our older dogs today and will meet the other two, a maltese mix and my older golden tomorrow when my husband is around to help. He's been out a few more times for short walks (he was neutered today), he's walking nicely on a loose leash and using the bathroom outside. How lucky am I!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darcy 1st day 03282017.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	8587

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Rena450 View Post
    Christi:

I've been keeping up with this thread and I am wondering if there is anything that I should watch out for (and take serious) in regards to temperament as Lyrics matures since she is only 1 1/2 yrs old and has been spayed.

I got Lyric from a breeder who owns a working farm and has been breeding Pyrs as working stock and family companions for quite a while. I did some research and heard from (and met) people who had got their Pyrs from her. ... all had been very happy with their choices. I talked to the breeder at great length about my concerns and, based on my family situation with my 26 year old daughter (who is mentally challenged), she said that Lyric would be a perfect fit/match for us. And, so far she really has been .... and, of course, I hope it stays that way. .... but, you never know.

Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any advice and/or suggestions that I could look out for as she matures? Anything that you may have missed or,now, when you look back on, realized that it could be a problem later on?

Ya know I cannot point to any one thing that was a warning sign. He was a pretty active puppy but that is not unusual, it just happened. His parents were young, and his breeding was accidental so their temperament was not known. They are working LGD so the temperament isn't a big issue, They don't have people on and off the property all the time. It is only an issue with mine because I live in town and Pyrs are people magnets. He is big and fluffy and cute, and everyone wants to pet him lol. I would just continue to socialize her as much as possible and keep building that trust with her.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Sassy, Mr. Darcy is one handsome bear! Congratulations on your new family member!

I am looking forward to hearing more about him as you get to know him!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rena450's Avatar

Rena450`s Photos

Sassy:

Mr. Darcy is just beautiful .......... !

Young Dawg (Member)

Many thanks to all who answered my call for information; I have read books but find the best sources are owner experiences.
    Darcy is doing very well hanging out with me inside, walking on a loose leash as I feed the horses and donkeys in the morning and playing in the fenced area. He sits to be rubbed, to have the leash put on and taken off, to wait for release when fed. I realize these are situations where he knows good manners are to his advantage and he gets what he wants with lots of praise, this is my way of setting him up for success. While he has good recall in controlled areas, I'm not ready to let him off leash between the house and the barn though that is my goal. We've been going to the local parks, pet stores and Lowe's large home improvement store for socialization and he is doing wonderfully.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rena450's Avatar

Rena450`s Photos

Sassy:
    Good to hear that Darcy is doing so well ........
    I sent you a PM, by the way.

Sharon (Rena450)

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Good work team!!!

Sounds like you & Darcy are figuring out how to communicate...with positive results..

Thanks for the update...hope all continues to get Darcy to be the best boy he can for you...

Young Dawg (Member)

I tried to respond to your pm and hope you get it as I'll never be able to get those thoughts together again.

Jewel`s Photos

Sounds like you & Darcy have a great start to a long happy life together! Congratulations!!