Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dis-A-Pyr

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Tofino!!!!

have been there, beautiful place...tho that was over 25 years ago, I'm sure it's changed....

we had a boat & circumnavigated Vancouver Island several times...you must live in a lovely spot!

I think by keeping his long lead on is probably the safest for him...sounds like he is a very social boy!

Puppy (New Member)

I don't live in Tofino, but we do go there once or twice every year, it's a family favorite! The only problem with the long lead is that, in his exuberance, he almost hog tied a couple of surfers and tourists by running around them, and racing in and out of the surf after my kids, so now I make sure to take him away from the main crowd.

Do Pyrenees usually like swimming? Mine is actually very reluctant to go in past his belly, but he loves the water and will charge in and out of the surf happily. He has found himself swimming a couple of times with my husband or kids getting himself caught in a wave that comes in or following someone into a deep tide pool, but he looks very worried while swimming and such a very small bit of his nose and eyes are the only thing above water!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I had one Pyr that loved to swim, she was actually a very good & strong swimmer...

But the rest are like your guy...up to their tummies...just enough to cool them off...

a601mom`s Photos

Ike loves water and especially if it is muddy. Lately he has taken to swimming but is learning to stay out of river currents after getting caught in the current once. I look for large eddies and the only problem I have is that it is winter so if he does not come when we need to go, he knows that I don't want to wade in after him. During our flooding here in NorCal, a pond formed in one of the meadows. I found out that he hoes swim and seems to enjoy it, but the issue continues to get him out of the water. He is learning that if he does not come when called it is back on the leash for a while.
    I continue to let him off leash on trails where he is far away from roads and other hazards. He is very good until he senses we are getting close to the end of the trail and the end of the walk so I have to judge when to put his leash back on.

Tessy`s Photos

That has happened twice with our eldest Pyr. Once, our Pyr had a collar on, but no leash. She slipped through the small opening between the two gates and ran down the driveway. I ran as hard as I could, eventually, I reached her and brought her back safe and sound. Another time, more recently, it was the evening and we were watching a movie. When the movie was over, we got up and saw a big white dog sitting at the kitchen door. Somehow, she jumped over the gate and decided to come to the door, instead of running away. Well, since then, she has not left.

Young Dawg (Member)

Gracie is our first experience with a Pyr and the Dis-a-Pyr trait is a very common thing we have read. After 6 months of being with us (3 years old) she has only exhibited this once and that was in the first weeks home. She instantly learned to open the bar type handle to the door and let her self out. Our neighbors told us they saw her prowling the neighborhood and she would run from them when they tried to call her. She had returned by the time the dog walker came over to take her out. Needless to say the door handles were changed that evening to the knob style.

Since that time Gracie has displayed the exact opposite behavior. She respects the Invisible Fence and does well off leash during our walks around the neighborhood (the leash is draped on her back so we would have something to grab if she does take off). Gracie is never off leash when we go out to a strange place even though we have never seen her try to push past.

On thing that has eased my mind from all of the Dis-a-Pyr warnings is a device call Whistle. It is a small GPS tracker that goes on her collar and she can be tracked via a cell phone. It will provide a text message if she goes out of a set boundary and then can give updates to her location every 3 minutes. This extra precaution has eased my mind a bit in knowing that when there is an incident we will be well prepared to quickly locate her.

PS I am no way associated with Whistle or any organization selling or promoting it. The device is just something that has eased my mind and I thought this group might like to hear my experiences with it.