Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Default Two Weeks Post Surgery

When Sir Moose had the benign tumor removed 2 weeks ag yesterday (we didn't know it was benign until biopsy report came in) we had the pre surgery blood work down and it was found that his liver enzymes were 4 times normal. Also white blood count was below normal.

He was put on Royal Canin Hepatic kibble and canned and a drug to work on his gall bladder called Ursodiol. No people food at all. Just those two foods and drug (oh, he could take his cosequin). He had lost 10 pounds between the first of Dec. and Feb. 23. He had not been eating well and seemed to stop eating a food after only a few days.

Well, he was in a cone, of course, but only took him 3 days to get the stitches out of his foot--he figured out very fast how to get at that foot even with cone on. and he does not like this hepatic food at all. I can only manage to get him to eat about a cup a day (normal for him was 2 1.2 cups of food a day) He has not eating ONE KIBBLE from a dish. I actually have to put 3- in his mouth, he chews them and then he will et 3-4 hand fuls from my hand. Then he walks off. I formed meatballs out of his canned and he will eat 2-3 of them, then walk off. I have to offer him food 6-7 times a day to get him to eat a cup of it.

He had his 2 week check today (foot is great) and he had lost another 2 pounds, which isn't quite as much as I would have thought. As for his blood work, a little4 better news. His liver enzyme report was a little better--3 times the normal where it had been 4, and his white BC was normal. All else was normal.

We are going another 2 weeks and see how things work out. There is the possibility fo Cushings, but he just doesn't have the symptoms you would expect. Except for the not wanting to eat and elevated liver enzymes, he is acting normal--usual amount of drinking and peeing, normal stools, tho smaller since he doesn't eat as much. he wants his morning walks and since he gets to pic the route, usually picks the longest one. He carries on conversations with any dog that barks. He tears across the yard if he sees one of those feral cats or possum on the fence at night.
    Jerry and Moose

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Terry's Avatar

Sounds like Moose is doing pretty darn good SM!

Jewel`s Photos

Glad to hear he is acting normal and happy. Sending all positive energy that the liver numbers will continue to improve.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I'm so glad that he is showing signs of improving! I hope his numbers are even better at his next checkup!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

I was told by a nurse that sometimes liver disease affects the taste buds in humns and nothing tastes good. She wondered if this could happen in a dog and that is why he eats so little---a d only eats what I had feed him. He will not touch food in his dish or even off a plate or one of our bowls. Has to be hand fed and then he eats so little.
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Hope Moose gains at least some of his appetite back...you are doing all you can for him, and I'm sure he knows it & that's why he's at least eating what you hand feed him.

Thanks for updating us on your boy...it sounds like he is still enjoying his walks with "Dad" and has enough energy to let every critter know he's still around & in charge!