Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Actually no, she's not on antibiotics. which makes me a bit curious. Ok i understand that using antibiotics should be the last method to avoid immunity, but i thought it's the only way to get rid of candidiasis :S Anyhow, we got some shampoo that should help us with it. We usually take Hilda to other doc but he was overbookked so we had to use this another one.

I don't really know about how hip dysplasia develops but i sure am concerned even vet said not to be

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

eljuko....keep her lean, watch her when she runs....

my first Pyr, Spirit, did not have hip problems....she had knees problems...luxating patella both knees...
    the first indication of it was her running...she used both her back legs, together...it is called "bunny hopping"
    also, at 6 months old she had great difficulty getting up from a laying down position...

so....if you have Hilda xrayed again, might I suggest that they do her knees as well as her hips

but if she is running & playing & getting up from a resting position with out complications....I would try not to be too concerned!

I'v always been worried bout the hips so i forgot the knees I'v been watching some videos and by the look it doesn't seem like Hilda has one but can u really ever tell without xray. Well she sure doesn't move like jagger and I never owned a large breed dog before so i can't really tell.

Also i'm a bit unsure bout the bunny hopping. The hip goes above shoulders while running and hind legs go down at the same time?

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by eljuko View Post
    i understand that using antibiotics should be the last method to avoid immunity, but i thought it's the only way to get rid of candidiasis
    I thought candidiasis is a fungal infection? If she doesn't have skin breaks that is causing secondary bacterial infection antibiotics may not be necessary. If it's her feet that are affected, you might want to use diluted apple cider vinegar so soak her feet. You can also give her yogurt once a day.

To Jewel: Yes i'm rather sure it's a fungal infection https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidiasis bare in mind i'm turning some words to english with wikipedia But yeah, currently we're using some sort of shampoo to get rid of it; at least i hope so. Well she isn't limping anymore, only licking her paws.

- eljuko

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

eljuko..."bunny hopping" is when a dog uses it back two legs as one..it's as if the two together gives them extra stability & strength...

look up "bunny hopping in dogs" I'm sure you'll be able to find a video somewhere showing what this action looks like

and if your vet is not too concerned at this point & you trust their judgement, then just do as you are doing, keep her lean & healthy as she grows

Yeah, will do just that. Thanks for all the support and guidance

- eljuko