Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default 8 month pyr looks more tired than usual, licking nose and sneezing occasionally

Hey everyone,

Described behavior is completely new to me and don't really know if i should take her to Vet today or should i wait and see couple of days.

I noticed today that my girl pyr Hilda was licking her nose almost all the time and occasionally sneezing. Also she looks more tired than normally and doesn't really want to sand, almost like he had flu of some sort. There's no reverse sneezing at least for now.

Any idea what it could be? should i be concerned?

- eljuko

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome eljuko & Hilda...

Since you are in a different country, and I don't know the regulations on puppy vaccines, but I assume your vet has seen her at least a couple of times & declared her healthy at those times.

My first reaction would be to call your vet, describe what is going on & for how long.
    You are the only one who knows what she is like normally and are the best at knowing when something might not be "right"...the only thing that you said that concerns me is her lack of wanting to stand....that would definitely send me to the phone to discuss the symptoms with my vet.

My other thought is reaction to something in the air, some type of allergic reaction...maybe even a new laundry detergent, floor cleaner...those types of things...would be something to search your memory if anything in that category has changed in or around your home.

Please let us know the outcome of this...hopefully it is something that will pass & she will be her happy healthy self again!

Nancy & Rudy

Hey Nancy and Rudy. Thanks for the reply.

So a little update; saw Hilda licking her front paw and she didn't want to put pressure on that leg. So that might explain the unwillingness to stay up. I'v checked the leg and looks like it doesn't have any external reason. I'v seen her limping quite often (like 3-4 times within 6 months) but it's almost every time a different leg and they'v healed up within days. Any idea when i should go check her for hip / elbow dysplasia?

But back to the subject. She's still a bit sleepy and sneezes especially when she gets excited with our other dog. I'm rather sure nothing has changed in near weeks. Only thing i could think that might cause such behavior is that i made noodles last evening and added chili powder in it. At least i sneezed once i put it in the food But hilda was a bit further away and also that could it really cause such long term issues?

I'v heard dogs can have parasites in the nose but usually they involve reverse sneezing and it's a bit hard to believe that Hilda could get them in this season since only GP:s and polar bears are able to live outside here during winter.

Will call the Vet tomorrow if sneezing continues at the morning since its already 11pm here. I'll keep you up to date.

- Thanks, eljuko

Get some rest!!!

Hope Hilda feels better in the morning...at least that her sneezing stops!
    I agree, would be hard to imagine that some parasite could live through a winter such as you have there!

Just for your info...look this up when you have time tomorrow

panosteitis in dogs

it is a condition that puppies get (and even tho Hilda may seem large, she is still a puppy!)

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Ticks can live through freezing temperatures so if ticks are in your area it could explain all of the symptoms. I would definitely talk to your vet about it and possibly get her tested for tick borne diseases.

Ok so, i called to vet and she said something like it could be ticks or it could be kennel cough, but my other dog doesn't show any symptoms. Hilda has vaccination against kennel cough but vet said it doesn't necessarily exclude the possibility to get one but symptoms shouldn't be that bad. Also she said I should try to measure the temperature of the dog, which can be a little tricky i can believe. But Hilda should get some rest now and see for couple of days and get back to vet if it continues.

- eljuko

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

There are two forms of getting the kennel cough vaccine and one of them is better then the other. You can get it through the nose which most of them sneeze out right after making it a waste and then there is the shot which is my preferred choice cause it guarantees that they get the whole vaccine. Either way kennel cough is very easy to catch because it is air borne and so if a dog coughs or sneezes near your yard your dogs can get it.
    I think rest is a good idea right now.

A little update. Hilda actually looked very energetic last evening, we were pulling a rope and she started to run around the house like she normally does every evening. Still sneezing especially outdoors but will be keeping an eye for now.

Hilda sure has been unlucky. There's always something with her but i hope the illness list runs out eventually and we can start worry free living

- elJuko

Ok so we went to Vet at Monday, not because the sneezing since it ended by itself, but because of the limping. There was candidiasis in both of the front paws. Also i demanded xRays from hip and there was slight loosenes in right one. Vet said its nothing to be worried since Hilda is only 8 months old. Personally i don't really know if i should worry or not, but will keep here in good shape to avoid unnecessary weight on the hips.

Regards, eljuko

glad you found out what was causing her limping...I assume she's on an antibiotic?

since she's still growing, your vet might view that as a reason to not be too concerned at this point....but keeping her lean is always a good idea for her health later in life