Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Some bad behaviors I need help breaking

I have a 7 months old Great Pyr/Shepherd mix. I have had Shepherds most of my life and read up on the Pyrs before we got the mix bread. This one seems to be more Pyr than Shepherd. My Shepherds trained soooo easy comparatively. We have a fenced in back yard, so I let him out to run and explore much of the time. But when it is time to come in, he refuses and plays keep away. He does decent with commands in the house, but outside not so much.

Also, he loves the mud and digging in the dirt. So I have had to start taking him out in the back yard on a leash instead of giving him his freedom... Any suggestions??

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rachel's Avatar

This is an ongoing problem with my Pyr as well, though at this point I consider it more of a breed trait than a problem...As a general rule, Pyrs aren't too great at coming when called, and I think this especially is true when you're trying to get them in from a lovely muddy backyard!!! It's possible you could eventually teach him unconditional recall, with him being part Shepherd, but it'll take a lot of training with varying degrees of distraction to achieve I think. You could try stocking the fridge with special treats he only gets at night when you're trying to get him in (I've used hot dogs, pieces of string cheese, sliced nitrate-free deli meat, Greenies, etc) and call him in...If he gets a whiff of the "new treat" and comes in, he'll get a great reward and might be more willing to come in at night the next times if he knows it means a special treat.

All that being said, my Pyr gets so keyed in on "intruders" beyond the fence that he'll only come in for first rate treats half the time. I once walked out with an entire sausage link and waved it under his nose and he wouldn't give it the time of day. Due to an unrelated issue I ended up installing a smaller pen right outside the back door...During morning and days he gets roam of the full yard but after he poos after dinner, he goes into the "small yard", and as soon as I made his spot to patrol at night smaller (and kept him away from the fence that juts up to the woods surrounding the yard) he got much calmer at night and usually sleeps outside for a couple hours then comes right inside when I ask at bedtime. Leashing does the same purpose as this so if the training doesn't work I would keep taking him out on leash after that point at night when he no longer wants to come inside...I have spent many nights in my yard in pajamas and slippers at 2 am playing a came of "chase" with my Pyr and it is not fun!!

As for the digging and "dirt nests", it changed with age for my Pyr. He grew out of the wild hole digging around 2 1/2 for the most part but still will dig to creat "dirt nests"...The places he naps in my yard are completely without grass and I don't really mind it because it's only 2-3 spots and now all he does is dig there to get comfy before he lays down and then he sleeps like a baby. The digging was a big problem when he was younger though because he would dig huge holes in the mud after rain and run in and ruin the carpet...I eventually had to take him out on leash when it was really muddy or stand out there and supervise...Times when I couldn't do that I had to spray his paws off before he came inside.

Here he is at 10 mo after digging up a tree...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150522_200056536.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	8555

And here he is at 10 mo again after digging his night away after some rain!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170307_115503.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	8556

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Hi and welcome Neither of these are "bad" behaviours, these are both breed traits. Pyrs do not have good recall. Pyrs also dig, a lot! With my boy after about 5 in the evening, he only goes out leashed. I walk him around my fenced in yard, looking for holes so i don't fall. Its debateable whether you can train this out of yours or not. Personally its not a big deal for me to take him out on a leash at night so I didn't bother trying to change how he acts. As for the digging, mine digs, sometimes more than others, my other dog also digs and its just not worth the hassle of trying to stop them. Once a year I fill the holes in with top soils, but they just dig it back up.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Part of what you have going on is your boy's breed mix, and part of it is his age. At seven months, your boy is just entering the dreaded bratty teenager phase. Some dogs have a worse adolescence than others. Just for a frame of reference, when my Sebastian was seven months old and I wanted to take him somewhere in the car, I had to put him into the backseat, climb in behind him and close the door quickly, then climb into the driver's seat from there. If I tried getting into the car through the driver's side door like a normal human being, he would take the opportunity to jump out of the car through the open door, push me out of the way, and run wily-nily until I caught him. It was one of his favorite games.

At about that same age, he started refusing to come inside, which is funny, because I did not have a fenced in yard, and he was always on leash. Fortunately for me, he is very treat-motivated, so I started keeping treats by the door to lure him inside. The new rule became that every time he came inside, he got a treat, whether he was cooperative or not. It started working.

Flash forward four years, and we finally have a house with a yard. The rule still is that every time he comes inside, he gets a treat. Usually, I just have to open the door for him to come inside voluntarily. Sometimes, I have to count to three, the way one would with a stubborn toddler. It is very rare that I have to put on shoes and go outside to get him. Usually that indicates that he perceives an imminent threat from a neighbor dog, squirrel, possum, or kitty cat. I should note that Sebastian's spirit of cooperation has taken years of patience and persistence on my part to achieve. If I had expected him to come inside when asked when he was two, I would have been sorely disappointed. At seven months, I imagine he would have lead me on a wild goose chase.

As for the digging, yes, Pyrs dig. Some people have had success with setting up a designated digging area in their yard - think large flower bed or sand box. They have taught their dogs to dig in the designated spot by leading them over to it, and burying a favorite toy (or two). It is something that I plan to try when I am ready to redo my back yard.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

[Thanks so much for sharing your experience and the Info! He definitely wants to play chase and I am relating to the pajamas and slippers trying to get him in. I will keep working with him and be patient. He is adorable, but drives me nuts with some of his quirks I am not used to with my Shepherds. He seems to be more Pyr than Shepherd. LOL]

This is an ongoing problem with my Pyr as well, though at this point I consider it more of a breed trait than a problem...As a general rule, Pyrs aren't too great at coming when called, and I think this especially is true when you're trying to get them in from a lovely muddy backyard!!! It's possible you could eventually teach him unconditional recall, with him being part Shepherd, but it'll take a lot of training with varying degrees of distraction to achieve I think. You could try stocking the fridge with special treats he only gets at night when you're trying to get him in (I've used hot dogs, pieces of string cheese, sliced nitrate-free deli meat, Greenies, etc) and call him in...If he gets a whiff of the "new treat" and comes in, he'll get a great reward and might be more willing to come in at night the next times if he knows it means a special treat.

All that being said, my Pyr gets so keyed in on "intruders" beyond the fence that he'll only come in for first rate treats half the time. I once walked out with an entire sausage link and waved it under his nose and he wouldn't give it the time of day. Due to an unrelated issue I ended up installing a smaller pen right outside the back door...During morning and days he gets roam of the full yard but after he poos after dinner, he goes into the "small yard", and as soon as I made his spot to patrol at night smaller (and kept him away from the fence that juts up to the woods surrounding the yard) he got much calmer at night and usually sleeps outside for a couple hours then comes right inside when I ask at bedtime. Leashing does the same purpose as this so if the training doesn't work I would keep taking him out on leash after that point at night when he no longer wants to come inside...I have spent many nights in my yard in pajamas and slippers at 2 am playing a came of "chase" with my Pyr and it is not fun!!

As for the digging and "dirt nests", it changed with age for my Pyr. He grew out of the wild hole digging around 2 1/2 for the most part but still will dig to creat "dirt nests"...The places he naps in my yard are completely without grass and I don't really mind it because it's only 2-3 spots and now all he does is dig there to get comfy before he lays down and then he sleeps like a baby. The digging was a big problem when he was younger though because he would dig huge holes in the mud after rain and run in and ruin the carpet...I eventually had to take him out on leash when it was really muddy or stand out there and supervise...Times when I couldn't do that I had to spray his paws off before he came inside.

Here he is at 10 mo after digging up a tree...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150522_200056536.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	8555

And here he is at 10 mo again after digging his night away after some rain!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170307_115503.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	8556[/QUOTE]

Puppy (New Member)

Thanks! For the information, I will keep working with him and see if I can at least train specific areas for him to ruin!

Puppy (New Member)

I have been using treats to get him inside. And right now while it is wet out I am taking him out on the leash. I just hate not being able to let him run since if I do all he does is find mud, and I can't get him cleaned up very easily. This is right after I caught him digging for just a few minutes in a mud puddle, then had to bribe him with bacon to get close enough to catch him and hose him down... LOL. I will keep working at it! Thanks! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Muddy Puppy.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	8557

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Treats don't work me in luring mine in anymore. Which is why i have the regimen I do, mine is also full blooded pyr, so he has the self cleaning coat. When he gets muddy I leave him in the mudroom and once the mud dries the dirt falls right off. If I hosed him down to come in, I would never get him to come near me again.