Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Unhappy Itchy Puppy! Red Belly and Hair Loss

Hi Everyone!
    I have a 16 week old Great Pyrenees with a very itchy belly. She is our first Great Pyr. We brought her home at 8 weeks old and her belly has always been on the pink side, but over the last couple weeks it has started to go more and more towards red. It is warm to the touch, and over the last couple days I have noticed some hair loss on her chest and black pin prick sized specs lower on her belly. She has seen the vet three times (9 week, 12 weeks, and today - her 16 week birthday) and he does not seem concerned/did not offer any solutions, but I can tell that she is not comfortable - lots of itching and chewing, and just a finger on her belly gets her back legs going. Anyone had any similar issues? Any suggestion on how to make her more comfortable?

Food = Fromm Large Breed Puppy Food
    Supplements = 1/2 TSP Fish Oil Daily
    Treats = Stella & Chewy's: Stella's Super Beef Meal Mixers
    Medication = Heartgard/Revolution
    Shampoo (3 baths in the last 8 weeks) = Colloidal Oatmeal Dog Shampoo with Pure Lavender Essential Oils - No Tear Shampoo for Dry Itchy Skin Relief

Topical treatments I have tried: Veterinary Formula Clinical Care: Hot Spot & Itch Relief Medicated Spray (active ingredients: Lidocaine, Hydrocortisone, and Allantoin).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rachel's Avatar

Do the black specs look like they could be scabs/dried blood from where she's nipping her sensitive belly while itching? Had a problem similar to this with my Pyr at the end of last summer...He had an irritated belly, hair loss, and weird black scabby spots. Finally figured out that his "dirt nests" were home to ants living in a nearby pecan tree! He'd get bitten then nip at the bites and bleed. Could your girl be lying in something irritating when she's outside (lawn chemicals, pesticides, bugs?).

I'm assuming the vet ruled out fleas, bacterial infections, and fungal causes...I would wonder about allergies next. Fromm is a good brand but there's always a chance your girl is allergic to the main protein. Or even to something in her treats or her heartworm prevention. If your vet has ruled out everything they could test for maybe start doing process of elimination with your girl's diet and everything she comes in contact with. Most laundry detergents on the market and especially dryer sheets have chemicals that can really mess with those with sensitive skin...Has she been lying on a bed cover laundered in a commercial detergent lately? I would go through the environment and see if she's coming into contact with anything on a daily basis (even something like lying on the kitchen floor after a certain floor cleaner has been used), and if you can't find anything in the environment, start switching out the things she's eating one by one. For example, switch her to another great brand for a week, see if it gets better, if it doesn't, return her old treat brand and then try switching out her food gradually over a week or so, then once she's adjusted give her a full week on the new, see if it gets any better, etc etc. In the meantime you could try frequent "washing" of her tummy (with a soap free natural dog shampoo) and I've had some success with Burt's Bees soothing skin cream but if her skin is VERY raw and irritated she might not like the cooling sensation of it.

Young Dawg (Member)

Kjern1112`s Photos

Default Itchy, red, scabby skin!

I'm in this exact same scenario. I have a 16 week old male Pyr who has been to the vet three times with dry, itchy, red skin that he's constantly scratching and biting. I have tried a steroid shot, antibiotics, and all natural skin relief balm.. I even took him to the groomer and they bought near shaved him to try to get relief and nothing has worked. My poor baby is miserable! I have another vet appointment Thursday so maybe they can actually do more tests and figure something out. This is getting expensive and irritating because my puppy cannot get relief. My boy stays scabby, bloody and purplish/ pink in color.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNova View Post
    Hi Everyone!
    I have a 16 week old Great Pyrenees with a very itchy belly. She is our first Great Pyr. We brought her home at 8 weeks old and her belly has always been on the pink side, but over the last couple weeks it has started to go more and more towards red. It is warm to the touch, and over the last couple days I have noticed some hair loss on her chest and black pin prick sized specs lower on her belly. She has seen the vet three times (9 week, 12 weeks, and today - her 16 week birthday) and he does not seem concerned/did not offer any solutions, but I can tell that she is not comfortable - lots of itching and chewing, and just a finger on her belly gets her back legs going. Anyone had any similar issues? Any suggestion on how to make her more comfortable?

Food = Fromm Large Breed Puppy Food
    Supplements = 1/2 TSP Fish Oil Daily
    Treats = Stella & Chewy's: Stella's Super Beef Meal Mixers
    Medication = Heartgard/Revolution
    Shampoo (3 baths in the last 8 weeks) = Colloidal Oatmeal Dog Shampoo with Pure Lavender Essential Oils - No Tear Shampoo for Dry Itchy Skin Relief

Topical treatments I have tried: Veterinary Formula Clinical Care: Hot Spot & Itch Relief Medicated Spray (active ingredients: Lidocaine, Hydrocortisone, and Allantoin).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!