Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Genetics and double dew claws

I know with genetics absolutes can sometimes be difficult to come by but I would like to know what the chances are of a sire being 1/2 Anatolian and 1/2 GP (with double dew claws) and a full blood GP dam (with double dew claws) giving birth to a litter where none of the pups have the double dew claws..

Jewel`s Photos

A white LGD with double dews doesn't mean the dog is a purebred pyr. A lot of pyr mixes have double dews. Unless the dam's bloodline can be traced to absolutely confirm she's a purebred pyr, there is no guarantee she is nowithstanding her double dews.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    A white LGD with double dews doesn't mean the dog is a purebred pyr. A lot of pyr mixes have double dews. Unless the dam's bloodline can be traced to absolutely confirm she's a purebred pyr, there is no guarantee she is nowithstanding her double dews.
    I understand there are no guarantees but I'm thinking that if a purebred female Pyr with double dew claws was bred to a 50% Pyr 50% Anatolian with double dew claws that chances are that some of the pups would exhibit double claws..Would you be surprised if none had them?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

My boy Zaki was from a litter such as you describe - mom full GP and dad 1/2 GP and 1/2 Anatolian. Both had double dews. One of the pups had no double dew claws and Zaki had double on one side and what looked like double on the other but not really a true second nail. Just a tiny projection.

Puppy (New Member)

I guess I shouldn't come to any conclusions regarding this..Thanks