Thread: Benign Tumor

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Default Benign Tumor

The biopsy report came back today and the tumor removed for Sir Moose's paw was benign. So we are thankful for that. He has managed to get the stitches out and has a gaping hole in the top of his foot. He found a way to lick it even with the cone on, so I had to resort to taping a sock on. He managed to get it off during the night--and got the stitches out. I was so worried about getting the tape on to tight and left it far to loose.

Now we are very worried about his other condition. He is on Royal Canin Hepatic kibble for the hepatitis and he doesn't like it and if I get him to eat a cup a day, I am doing good. He has to take these pills, Ursodiol once a day and that is a nightmare. He clamps those jaws and it almost takes one of those "jaws of life to get his jaws open. THEN he makes a sawing motion with his mouth and flicks that tongue. And always, at least one cap comes out, sometimes managled. So today I asked about the canned and they said yes, and we got one this morning and I put his pills in balls of it and he gobbled them right down.

That 26.4 pound bag kibble is $99 + change at my vets and the cheapest I have found it is $85 at Chewy. Is the same price most palces as at my vets. The can of food is $3.38. And on top of that, he takes 2 of the Ursodiol a day, and they are $$$$$. Walmart was going to charge $220 for 60 pills (month supply) but I found a coupon on lie , actually a place with different coupons, and we got it at Walgreens for $149. The vet said me may be on it for life.

I was quote a price of $43 for it at Diamondback Drub in Arizona. I had never heard of them and do not like to use off the way places, will not use them. I asked about it on my golden retriever forum and two on ther replied they get meds from there all the time . I had seen they had an A+ rating with the BBB. So if he has to be on it forever, I will be ordering it from there and getting his kibble from Chewy. I already get his Cosequin from there.

But we are really worried about him. He stil insists on walks and hubby only takes down about 5 houses and back. But if he doesn't start to eat more, he will be nothing but skin and bones. We are worried.
    Jerry and Moose

Jewel`s Photos

Awesome news on the tumor!!!!!

As to the liver food, when was it that the last blood test with the high count was done? My old boy had a blood test 2 months after we lost Bijou and his liver numbers came back 8 times higher than normal. We freaked of course. For him we thought it was likely the NSAID that he was on for 7 days for general aches and pains. We stopped it and took another blood test not long after and it was back to normal. If it's been more than a week, I'd ask for another blood test just to see if there has been any improvement. If there has been no improvement, then I am not so sure the food is going to be your fix. If there has been improvement, maybe you can compromise on the food before he loses more weight. With Bro I made my own liver cleansing diet.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Good news on the tumor....sorry he got the stitches out...you did all you knew how.

I had ordered from Diamondback Drug when our Aussie was on Fluconazole for Valley Fever, they did have the best prices around.
    I never had any reaction or problems with them in any way.

Hope he gets his appetite back & gets back to his strong self!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

So glad to hear the tumor is benign! We've ordered from Diamondback Drug in the past and everything has been fine. Would second Jewel's suggestion about checking his liver function again. When Lily started Ketoconazole for her Valley Fever a couple months ago, she was having a very difficult time and a lot of side effects from the medication. It is very hard on the liver. After doing some research, we started her on Milk Thistle extract and SamE supplements. These made a very noticeable difference in her reaction to the medication. Might be something you'd want to look into for Moose ih he continues having liver issues. I sympathize with the costs. I about fell over when I found out how expensive the meds for Lily's Valley Fever were! Praying for all of you and that this is just a bump in the road for Moose and he'll be feeling better soon!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

My vet will run another blood work in 30 days. He is really concerned about the weigh loss and the not wanting to eat. I take milk thistle due to some of the meds I have to take are hard on the liver. It seems most of the drugs for diabetes is hard on the kidneys. metformin was what sent me into total kidney failure 3 1/2 years ago. Victoza is hard on them as well. I take cranberry capsules daily at my kidney doctor's suggestion--juice has to much sugar, hence the caps. I do love cranberry juice, but Dr. nooruddin said that is a no-no, use the capsules.
    Jerry and Moose