Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rena450's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Rena450`s Photos

Default 2017 Great Pyrenees National Specialty

This year it will be held April 9-16, 2017 (Show dates 12-16) in Wilmington Ohio.

http://www.gpcaonline.org/2017.htm#RV

Has anyone ever attended one of these as a spectator? It's about a 4 hour drive for me and I was entertaining the idea for a getaway weekend. Was just wondering if it would be worth the drive .....

Jewel`s Photos

I thought about going to Nationals a few weeks back then decided it was too far to drive.

I've been to 3 Nationals, 2010, 2012 and 2013. The 2013 Nationals was in Texas and Bijou and Ren's breeder was the judge. She got to see Bijou who was 4 at the time and she hadn't seen Bijou since the pup left her place at 8 weeks. I went just as a spectator.

We had planned on going to the 2015 Nationals because Bijou was going to receive her Performance Hall of Fame award. But alas Bijou fell terminally ill that year and died 4 days after her breeder accepted her HOF and other awards on her behalf. She made her breeder proud that day.

If the Nationals were 4 hours away from me, I'd definitely go. I'd be there on Friday and Sat. Friday is when the young dogs show. Sat is when the champions compete for the top pyr in the country honor.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rena450's Avatar

Rena450`s Photos

Jewel:

Thanks for the info on the Nationals, especially which days to go ...... think I'll start looking at hotels today.

So sad to hear about Bijou ..... let alone her winning the awards ..... I know you were proud of her as well as her breeder.