Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Default Sir Moose is Home from Surgery

Sir Moose is home with some good news, some not to great. Surgery went well and we just have to wait on the biopsy report as to if the tumor was benign or cancer. It didn't really appear to be cancerous, but you just never know. He gets his stsitches out of his paw in 10 days and )sob) has to wear his "cone of shame" until then. and no walks.

We had the blood work done and x-rays. His liver enzymes were 4 times as much as they should be and hepatitis is suspected. I was also given all the info on Cushings, tho he has no real symptoms of that--just covering every thing. He will be on meds to clean out his gall bladder and is on (gasp) Royal Canin hepatic food He is to have NO treats of any kind, NO human food of any kind until we know for sure about what is causing this high liver enzyme trouble. He has no lack of energy, is not lethargic, no yellowing of eyes, etc, nothing. The only hint of any thing is his turning into a picky eater. My vet said before running all kinds of tests, we will do this first because he truly thinks it is caused by gall bladder.

But some good news--all else looked good and his chest x-ray was "great" his lungs and heart, etc were perfect. So it is all around a wait and see as to what comes next if anything.

Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

So glad that Moose is back home...with relatively good news..

that does look nasty!

Nice that your vet wants to rule the "easy" things out first, sounds like a very honest person....

Heal fast dear Moose...and if anyone can wear that cone of shame with style...it's you!!

Jewel`s Photos

Has Moose by any chance been on any pain meds, or for that matter, any flea/worm meds?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Glad to hear Moose's surgery went well and he is back home.

I too am curious if Moose is on any flea meds/worm meds and sometimes even heartworm meds can be the cause of his liver count being so high.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Been 9 or so months since last flea med. BUT heart worm prevention, another story. It is MUST here on the coast. NOW I think I may hae talked about this before. He had been on Heartgard for the few months with his foster after he was picked up stealing food from salad bar at open air café on River Walk in San Antonito, and the people that adopted him kept him on it the 4 years they had him. They were fostering him until their movie when we got him Sept. 20, 1014 and I kept him on it.

In Nov. he got lethargic, and "mopey" a few hours after getting his chew. We remembered he had been this way once the month before but didn't remember if it was following his chew or not. I still had some left from Sophie (she had died Oct. 12) and we wondered if possibly we had gotten a bad batch of Heartgard, so in Dec. I gave Sir Moose one of the remaining ones from Sophie. Same thing, only this time he actually threw up later on. That did it. We figured something in there had started to not agree with him and ordered Interceptor. He got one Jan. 1 and one Feb. 1 and no trouble with either one. He was on antibiotics for ear infection in Dec.

Had been on Taste of the Wild grain free food since we got him but we did change flavors from time to time. But then he got to where he didn't want it. We got Purina One and he ate it all for a about 3 days, and then then would not touch the plain kibble in the mornings. I would put his home cooked stew (lean ground turkey, chopped apples and sweet potatoes and green beans) and he would get all the stew out and eat some of the kibble. He had been eating this stew ever since we got him as I had cooked it for my goldens. His previous owners had fed him Pedigree, so I even resorted to that, and once again, he ate it for a few eays, dry in the morning, with stew at night, then started ignoring breakfast, eating the stew out and part of the kibble at night. We had tried to just put plain down and leave it til he ate, and he might not eat at all . He was losing weight and we were worried, so would give in and add the 1/2 cup of stew at night. Then again, forget the kibble. SO we even got a bag of Iams and I opened it yesterday morning and he ate every bite of the dry kibble for breakfast. Ane he ate all his supper. No breakfast this morning.

I didn't think he would want to eat tonight, but did as directed and totally softened some food and then hand fed him and he ate almost all lf it. He would not try to eat with the cone on. And we ran into another problem. He will only drink out of the ceramic water dish--use to be the pot in my crock pot. It is oval shaped and not made for a cone to fit over. I tried to give him water out of a glass bowl and he wouldn't touch it. When we took him to the beach we took water and a metal dish and he would not touch the water. When walking he makes no attempt to drink any standing water. He only wants to drink from that one ceramic bowl. But I found if I fill it to the top he can drink, so we have to make sure it stays full to the very top.

Oh, another bright spot tonight, besdies his eating--when he went out to dohis business, he had to talk a "little trash" with the dogs behind us. No much, but he did let them know he could bark louder than their terrier ips.
    Jerry and Moose

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Terry's Avatar

Great stuff with Moose SM. A little trash talking is a good thing for sure.

Murphy had the cone of shame on for about 2 minutes as he filled it up when he drank outta the toilet.