Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Looking for the most effective training method for a new 8 week old male pyr...

Hi all....
    I am brand new to this forum! I will be getting my Pyr on Saturday....2 days away!! He was born on Dec. 29 and will be my first Pyr. I currently have a 3 1/2 yr old unaltered (as of now) male St. Bernard, Rufus. I have had no reason to alter him, but that may change now. I have had 3 newfoundlands, a pug, every color of lab and a golden retriever so I am not a new pet owner, but times change and so do training methods. Unfortunately, my saint is not well trained because shortly after I was gifted him, my daughter and her 3 very young children came back home due to a house fire. They stayed 2 years before they moved into their own house so the training to a very far back seat!
    I understand Pyrs are their own dog and their training is not always as easy as the other dogs I have had....SO, I ask you for your expertise so that I will have a dog that is not only a companion but also one that will be a part of my family and friends. I just told my grandchildren that the new rule of the house is: NO DOG GOES OUT WITHOUT A LEASE!!!! Every door will have a lease hung from it's handle!!
    Please point me in the right direction!! I look forward to your help and thank you in advance!!
    Thanks,
    Debra

Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

I also need to add that I am almost 63 years old with some physical limitations (joint problems)....which is why it is imperative that this puppy be trained to listen and become attuned to my limits rather than taking advantage of them...LOL!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

dnelson252....

there is no guaranty on any dog on how they will grow up & act....as you probably know.

If possible, I would rethink getting the same gender dog as your St.
    And, I would look into neutering for your St. as well....
    It may not happen, but usually around 18-24 months a Pyr will show his/her true personality....no matter how they have been socialized.

Leash...definitely....fence would be even better

Not to discourage you, but instead of a Pyr, you might want to reconsider & get a more biddable & manageable breed of dog....one you can train to your needs & wants...

Nancy & Rudy