Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Best food for my new 9 week old male pyr

Hi all....
    I am brand new to this forum! I will be getting my Pyr on Saturday....2 days away!! He was born on Dec. 29 and will be my first Pyr. I currently have a 3 1/2 yr old male St. Bernard, Rufus. Rufus is being fed Blue Diamond Lamb/Rice. Will I be able to transition the puppy to this food or do I need to get something different. I have had 3 newfoundlands, a pug, every color of lab and a golden retriever so I am not a new pet owner, but times change and so do food recommendations. I look forward to your help and thank you in advance!!
    Thanks,
    Debra

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Christi`s Photos

Hi and welcome, I would think that would be just fine. A lot of people never give the big breed puppy foods and diamond is a good food with the right needs for his breed as I recall. How funny I am seriously contemplating getting a Newf, in a year or so. I have a thread discussing what type of dog to get next I am contemplating another Pyr, a newf or a berner.

Jewel`s Photos

I just tried to look up Blue Diamond dog food and found Blue Buffalo and Diamond but not Blue Diamond. Where do you get it?

Christi`s Photos

Ohhhh I looked at Diamond naturals, I didn't catch that.

Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking!! It is Diamond Lamb/Rice food that I am currently feeding the St Bernard, Rufus. Also, I free feed Rufus and his is a lanky Saint, in no way a heavy dog and I am glad for that, hoping it may help extend his life. I have found that free feeding stops the gorging and frantic eating. Also, will taking the water away from the puppy at 9, in the evening be ok? We go to bed at 10 so this may help his nighttime potty breaks....Thanks!!

Christi`s Photos

Ah ok, diamond as I recall was well within the protein,calcium recommendations. Mine I never restricted access to water, but then mine is a parvo survivor. We went out every 2 hours, around the clock and with him almost not making it taking water up was not a good idea. I would think though that in your case with a healthy pup it would be perfectly reasonable. I would still take him out in the middle of the night though.

Jewel`s Photos

Yes, Diamond is suitable for your pup. Some people don't use puppy food at all. My breeder is one of them.

As to free feed, it's up to you to determine if it works for your dogs. I am not a big fan of it to be honest.

Picking up the water dish at 9 pm is fine. Pups tend to drink a lot anyway so I should think yours is plenty hydrated throughout the day so there are no concerns of dehydration.