Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Make neutering? What age?

I've heard different opinions on this, don't do it until there fully grown & then I've heard there bed behavior is impossible to deal with & bad to start the bad habits & behavior?!?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Waiting to Neuter has more to do with growth and joint issues than behaviour. You want to try and wait till a male is over a year, my Vet wouldn't even discuss it till mine was 18 months old. I wanted to wait till he was 2 but he was becoming aggressive and we went ahead with surgery. How old is yours, and what issues are you having?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, there is no difinitive "right" answer, here.

The most recent studies show that waiting until his bones are fully developed (around age 2) markedly decreases the risk that he will develop osteosarcoma later in life. However, waiting is no guarantee that he won't develop osteosarcoma later in life anyways.

Behaviorally, it's just as tricky. Some boys are able to remain intact during puppyhood and adolescence without developing any major behavioral issues. Some boys develop issues during adolescence that neutering greatly helps. Some develop issues that neutering might help some, but not entirely. Then, there are the ones who are neutered early, like my Sebastian, who exhibit behavior similar to that of intact males. He was three months old when he was neutered, and last Summer, we had to run a blood test to make sure his neuter was complete. It was.

The best advice I can give you is to hold out as long as you can. If you can wait until he's two, great. If he starts becoming too much to handle, and you have to neuter him before the age of two, that's okay, too.

The best option is the one that works best for the two of you.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Christi View Post
    Waiting to Neuter has more to do with growth and joint issues than behaviour. You want to try and wait till a male is over a year, my Vet wouldn't even discuss it till mine was 18 months old. I wanted to wait till he was 2 but he was becoming aggressive and we went ahead with surgery. How old is yours, and what issues are you having?
    He's doing great No issues yet, but he's 5 months and I have a intact 13 yr old Brittany that tends to not think he's so cute like us. They scaubled the other day about food, my moose (Pyrenees) wanted his and he got shot down. But I don't want fights, so I'm trying to eliminate any issues immediately. Once boys start to brawl even after there fixed it could be to late Right? Moose does not tend to be a fighter so he now ignores my old man, hopefully he will continue?
    He's just turned 5 months & 70 lbs the older he gots the more damage he could do

Christi`s Photos

I would think your older guy was giving him a lesson in manners. If it happens again separate them when they eat so that it doesn't become an issue. I have 2 dogs and they are fed separately because my girl is a pig and will run the Pyr off his food. I would honestly wait if you can, something like a spat over bad manners like that is bound to happen, and it sounds like the older dog was just teaching.

For sure keep an eye out but I don't think its something that would require him getting neutered for. And if I am reading it right it sounds like the pup tried to steal some food and it was the Brittany than resorted to a fight. And the Pyr is now maintaining his distance. So the pup learned his lesson, and the brit is still in charge

Puppy (New Member)

Yes he definitely was teaching him manners, and at 5 months he's learning daily how to behave. But I do have a vet that is telling me to fix now & the farm I got him from says to do it now. I'm truly confused Everything I read says No

Jewel`s Photos

They need to be separated when they eat. Yes, the pup might be run off by the old dog right now but very soon he will figure out he's bigger and stronger than the old guy and he may become more insistent. I have a pup the same age, also male. I can see him starting to test boundaries. We had our friend's 10 yo male pyr staying w us over the weekend. The old pyr outweighs my pup by 70 lbs. Weekend started w the old pyr growling and chasing off the pup when he got annoying. One could say the old guy was just teaching the pup manners. But the pup was actually testing the old guy's attitude. By Sunday my pup could make the old one get up and move off the dog bed just by applying psychological pressure; no aggressive posturing needed. The young ones are always observing and learning.

If you catch your pup use aggressive posture w your old guy, you do need to think about neutering sooner rather than later. The waiting for later is so that they grow with the benefit of hormones as nature intended to. The bone cancer concern is not black & white. I've known several intact males that came down with it anyway.

Christi`s Photos

It does get confusing, I always neutered early, but I also have never had a giant breed dog either. I waited as long as I could. Mine was about 17 months old, but he showed aggression to me, my husband and my other dog. I had every intention of waiting for 2, but it didn't work out that way. It is really hard to know what is the right thing to do in cases like these.

Sebastians Mom gave sound advice, by saying do what fits for you. There really are no wrong answers.

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you to all that replied, I'll be on my toes and watching them close and will wait as long as possible. My old man is doing his job that's why I didn't get another male until now, I think it's great to have a male role model for a young pup. This is my first giant & what a great breed! This is a great web sight. Thanks ya'll