Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Hi, I searched for help, hoping I'm not too late for my boy.

I decided to take a chance on my always favorite, a great pyrenees. He's beautiful, but...I am no longer alpha. I set up a training session this weekend. He is not a year yet, will I gain this back? He is my first working type pup, confused on how to show him dominance. He can no longer for now be loose to run like my other two pups, he won't come back. He chases cars, and he barks at my neighbors pretty wickedly. I have a large house in the country, but seems to not be enough for him. Help?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Hi and welcome, first, alpha and dominance NEVER work on a pyrenees. Take those concepts and scrub them out of your brain. You need to use constant positive reinforcement of good behaviour. Pyrs need to be leashed, or contained by a fence, they protect line of sight, the further he roams the further he can see. He will bark, that is what they do, they bark and its loud and its often. THat is a breed trait, how much research did you do before getting him? The barking, and the off leash behaviour are common in any LGD. They don't do dominance or alpha because they are not wolves, don't live in packs and are more often paired with an opposite *** companion. They were bred to think for them selves without much human intervention. He is still a puppy, and will be till about 2 years old.

http://www.great-pyrenees-club-of-so...behaviour.html

This is a nice short article that briefly describes Pyr's.

Jewel`s Photos

Alas, pyrs are notorious for not being good off leash. I am all for taking him to training classes, but you have to make sure it's positive reinforcement training. Pyrs in general do not do well with correction training. Also, pyrs are not easy to train. It is common to take a lot longer to convince a pyr to abide by your training. Even with training, you shouldn't assume that your pyr will ever be trustworthy offleash.

For now you need to have your pyr on leash. The more he practices bad behavior, the more likely his behavior might get worse.

Puppy (New Member)

I did research, and thought he would be okay here. We have a large yard. I am going to buy fencing with my return. But, something isn't right, this morning I saw him want to turn on my boy. It wasn't horrible, he did a slight growl and was going to grab his arm. My youngest is 17, he's not home much due in the evening, due to being a teenager, he does this every night with my middle son when he comes home from work. The only people he doesn't do this to is my boyfriend, me, and my mother. Could it possibly be a health problem? All the prys I know aren't like that, they are to strangers, and wild animals, but not to family.
    So, there is no dominant dog? All dogs think mostly alike, they see us as their family, like their own pack..prys don't do this?

Puppy (New Member)

I just want him to listen to simple commands. Like, I don't want him to attack people, like my family. The vet is scheduled for March, I might request a catscan. I know training does not work for prys, but he won't even listen to me now at all, and it's starting within the house now. I dont want to give up on him, but if he becomes too aggressive I might need to ask around for a new home for him. I don't want him to bite my kids. He's the only dog I haven't been able to do anything with. Breaks my heart when I see him look at me with those big black eyes.

Puppy (New Member)

Could he become too protective of me? My son was coming towards me and he has a deep voice and was telling me about a place he went last night, and was excited about it. Would he have felt that, and taken it as negative behavior? Even though he sees him every day

Christi`s Photos

Ohhhhhh now that makes a difference, he should see you as family. I would take him to the vet and look into hiring a Behaviourist. You can request thyroid testing for him, but most likely its a behavioural issue and can be worked out. I have went through that with mine, we neutered then worked with a VB and have gotten good results.

Puppy (New Member)

Okay, sounds good. The girl that is to see him this weekend said to have my son give him a treat each time he comes home, and to wash any evidence off of him from his friends dogs, until we can get a hold of this problem. She said she tries to think like a dog, which is smart. She said he can be trained, but he has to do what he's meant for, like protecting his sheep, we are his sheep, since we have no sheep. She said they can be trained, for their purpose. She helped me and you guys have too. Guess I'm panicking a little too soon. He'll be a year in April, we can do this. Keeping positive!

Christi`s Photos

Oh for sure, and I get that panic! Mine turned slightly aggressive against me and its very scarey. They are large powerful dogs and its frightening when you see instability in them. I was very afraid of my dog for a while, but we managed to figure out the underlying issue and work on that.

Jewel`s Photos

Based on your description it sounds like he's a late adolescent dog acting like a jerk. This is what I meant about his behavior getting worse. It's already beyond the lack of recall and into the using aggressive bullying stage. This trainer you are looking into may have the right methods, you won't know until you meet with her. Just remember, positive reinforcement is best.