Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Growing up mentally, when will it happen?

My Pyr is about 10-11 months old now and seems like she is still in full puppy mode. The only thing she doesn't do anymore is chew on us. But everything else is fair game. She eats and chews on EVERYTHING. Secondly we are struggling with housebreaking. I have never had a dog this hard to potty train. We have tried everything in the book (and advice here), and she still doesn't care less. She is still in a crate, and is stuck to a consistent schedule. I can watch her go outside, then bring her in for some play time and as soon as I look away there is either poop or pee on the floor. And I am not talking about "looking away" as in heading upstairs, or even going to the bathroom. I am talking about turning around for a few seconds, when I catch her I make her go backside and then right back into her crate.

I believe they do take a long time to mature, but the chewing thing is still extreme. Did anyone else have trouble with potty training?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aleforge View Post
    Did anyone else have trouble with potty training?
    *Raises hand*

Sebastian was pretty difficult to house train. He had his last pee pee "accident" (in quotations because he fully intended to pee inside at that point) at around 16 months. His last poop accident happened when he was just a few months shy of his second birthday. We were at his BFF's house for a play date, and he wasn't sure how to ask to go out. He went upstairs and pooped on their white carpet. We were not invited over for any more play dates after that.

Some dogs are just easier to house train than others. Chester, my non-Pyr, had most likely been an outdoor dog before he came to live with us (at around a year of age). Chester was far easier to housetrain than Sebastian was.

I have to say, though, that once Sebastian caught on to the concept of housetraining, he accepted it with gusto. He will now wake me up at 4am if it's a potty emergency, rather than go inside.

As for Meera's puppy-like behavior, well, she is very much still a puppy - and an adolescent one, at that. The worst of Sebastian's adolescence lasted roughly through the age of 18 months. At the age of two, his puppy behavior ratcheted down a notch, then again at 2 1/2, then again at 3, then again at 3 1/2, when his adult personality was fully developed. He will be 5 in a few months, and still has some silliness in there, but he is a much easier dog to live with than he was at Meera's age.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy didn't stop going Wreck it Ralph on my house until she turned 3 years old. Then it was magically something clicked and she stopped.

As for the potty training I had Missy potty completely potty trained in a month. It was all about taking her out often and phrasing for her. It was no longer "We don't potty on the floor." (She pooped on my table when I said that.) Instead we said "We don't potty in the house." Then proceeded to take her out all the time. She would wake up, she would go out, she would eat, she would go out. It's been two hours let's go outside just in case.

Jewel`s Photos

When you say she's still in a crate, can you explain what that means? How long is she crated a day and how much freedom does she have around your house when you are home? This may be important in assessing her behavior.

At 10-11 months she is still very much a puppy. Chewing stuff at this age is quite common. It also has to do with how much other activities she engages in per day to expend some of her puppy energy.

My puppy started going to daycare at 4 months. I boarded him with a friend who has several dogs a couple of times a week so he got to play with them. Before daycare he was pretty mouthy on both his human parents. But as soon as he started daycare, the mouthing on human flesh decreased drastically. Within 2 weeks, it had decreased by 90%. Mind you, my current pup isn't as high energy as my last two pyrs.

SebationsMom: Well that makes me feel good and bad. The stupid thing on my part is I did research the breed pretty extensively. So I should of caught on how long the puppy stage lasts. I really did not give much thought on housebreaking in that regard. The good thing is that I shouldn't be so frustrated at this point. And it's nice to hear that you had the chewing problem for awhile. Also we all love puppy's right? Having a giant one romping about should be fun... lol - Thank you for the reply!

Tsunibear: 3... so I guess as I mentioned to SM I shouldn't be too stressed out over Meera still chewing on things. Man... 3... I have had a bunch of puppy's and I think most of them had stopped by one year. Are you talking about Missy at 1 month old being potty trained, or after you started the process?

Jewel: She is crated over night and on and off through the day. From the suggestion I got earlier on we do the, crate, outside (potty), playtime schedule. If she ends up going during play time she goes right back into the crate. As I mentioned she will go if you turn your back to her, she usually does not if we are keeping an eye on things. So I would say she is out more often than not during the day. However she isn't allowed upstairs yet. Our basement is finished with hardwood flooring and its much easier to clean. Plus our office is down there and someone is in it all day, so she is never fully alone. I am really looking forward to having her trained so she can run the house.

We have a large yard and basement, so she gets to run a lot. We also take her on walks, although it isn't as often as we would like. My middle child spends a ton of time playing with her (and taking pictures, lol), but we don't allow her to walk Meera as my daughter is small for a 14 year old. Overall I feel she gets a lot of attention, but needs socialized more beyond our other dog. I don't see many others around though.

The puppy play / daycare sounds like a good idea. We don't have any friends that we can do that with though. I am really glad Meera stopped being mouthy, all we did was ignore her when she did it. I will say she "seems" fairly lazy, her favorite thing to do is climb up into our chair. lol

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Aleforge View Post
    Tsunibear: 3... so I guess as I mentioned to SM I shouldn't be too stressed out over Meera still chewing on things. Man... 3... I have had a bunch of puppy's and I think most of them had stopped by one year. Are you talking about Missy at 1 month old being potty trained, or after you started the process?
    One month after I brought her home she was completely potty trained which felt like a life time for me because, my Shar Pei was completely potty trained in 72 hours after bringing him home. My Shar Pei was so well trained that one day I didn't get home in time to take him out so he used the cat box to go because, he couldn't hold it any longer. The cats were mad and he felt bad, but we were impressed.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

With Sebastian, the chewing of objects declined dramatically after his first birthday. I seem to remember the very worst of his destructive behavior lasting from when he was about 5 months old until he was maybe 11 months old. He still got into mischief after that, but he wasn't destroying the expensive "indestructible" toys within an hour of me bringing them home. I like what Tsunibear said about something in Missy magically clicking. I had the same experience with Sebastian and his annoying puppy behaviors.

I thought I had researched Sebastian's Pyr side before bringing him home, too. The truth is, nothing I could have read would have prepared me for what living him was really like. I am just now to the point where I am far enough removed from the "Sebastian Puppy Horror Show" that I can even imagine raising a puppy again.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    I am just now to the point where I am far enough removed from the "Sebastian Puppy Horror Show" that I can even imagine raising a puppy again.
    Hahaha every single time I say this Missy does something to make me wish I never said it. Which is why I will be a one dog household until she is gone. She is getting too old to deal with a puppy and well every time I think I can handle it she wrecks something or does something to make me realize that she can still be young when she wants to be.

I do not think I have had one dog that did not make me think from time to time "WTH was I thinking". I keep doing it over and over again, but I guess after awhile you forget. Plus well I love dogs and puppy's are cute. =)

I appreciate everyone's responses, it does help put me more at ease.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

With Apollo, he was the easiest dog I ever housebroke, 3 accidents in my house ever. But he was a brat, he didn't destroy things, that would have been preferable to him using humans as chew toys. He chewed on my hands, my ankles, and eventually tried for my jaw. Took months to curb the mouthing. He was also hyper and didn't listen. Even when I knew good and well he knew what I was asking him to do. What helped all that was getting and adult dog for him to play with. It wasn't me that taught him to curb his bite, that was all Roxie. She helped give him an outlet for all that pent up energy and he learned some manners in the bargain.