Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Christi`s Photos

Now the energy thing isn't an issue. I happen to have a Pyr with a higher than normal energy level. And my other dog is an Aussie/Border Collie mix. So she is fairly High energy as well. Any pup I bring home with have 2 resident dogs that are still playful and energetic to romp with. You were not here when Apollo was a pup, but I had untold issues draining his energy and was not able to take him places like the dog park or encounter other dogs for quite some time because he had parvo, and was quite ill. Once he cleared the Parvo the issue was he couldn't be around other dogs because of a seriously compromised immune system. A simple cold could have been a death sentence at that point.

Tommy is now rethinking his stance on the newf, but is more interested in a berner. He looked at the dogs, likes the markings, coat length and personality traits, then discovered they are also droolers. We sat and talked about it and with any dog there is a con, the point to look at, for us, is does the pro's out weight the cons? All this being said we are not taking another Pyr off the table, but if we go with a pyr puppy we are looking into a breeder with a good reputation that is close by, about 2 hours, and has bred for a long time. She is also willing to hold my puppy till the 3rd parvo booster. If I get a puppy I do have to take into account that I may still have parvo in my soil. My house is fine, I bleached everything, the yard I was not able to and so we have to err on the side of caution.

Tsuni, if we get a collie its the rough coat he would want. But as you can see he has changed direction. I just remembered that Missy is a berner mix, and she is smart and sweet maybe that is the direction I need to look in.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

I'm sorry your dog had Parvo. That sounds like a painful experience for your pup. The Bernese Mountain Dog is IMHO the most beautiful dog breed out there. One of my friends in high school had one but I met it not long before he passed away at the age of 8 to cancer. This was so long ago so I don't remember much about his dog. I do know that cancer is quite common for these guys. Their temperment seem very well rounded as well. I do, however, think that a good breeder makes a huge difference. I heard so many good things about the Maremma breeder I got Kit from but she said there were only two females and she was keeping one. So I doubted her when she said this pup's temperment is exactly what I was looking for. Here is the thing, it has been 2 weeks and Kit's personality is EXACTLY what I was looking for and even better! This breeder is incredible! I love her! She OFA test the parents for hip and elbow and gave me a health certicate complete with microchipping. I can't tell you enough how happy I am about Kit's breeder. I really do think a reputable breeder where there is a waiting list is worth the effort especially for a breed that are more prone to health issues. I also think that you can find breeder who breed berners for health and temperment. I also agree that rescuing is a wonderful thing. My first maremma was a rescue and I had thought she was a pyr for the longest time. The reward in rescuing Sahara was the fact that I saw her personality blossom and her come out of her shell. I was happy to give a senior dog a wonderful home after she has been through 3 homes prior to mine. Another benefit to rescuing is that the rescue agency typically knows the dog's adult personality and what their limitations are.

Christi`s Photos

Oh the parvo was horrible, Thank goodness I had found this forum. I don't know how I would have made it through without this forum.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Just remember with the Berner you have a short life span. It's the biggest downfall to the breed so if you can find a Missy mix or another type of Berner mix you are better off then a purebred Berner because it gives you the chance of it living longer then 9 years. It's not fun looking at Missy and hoping she took after the Pyr on her life span because, this year she will be turning 8 years old and since turning 4 years old we have been finding lumps left and right on her and removing them just in case, but as she ages we want to do that less and less. So there is a real worry for me that I won't get lucky and have her make it to the double digits due to half of her DNA. So keep that in mind if you go with a Berner I just don't want to see you heartbroken in a couple of years.

In all honestly Berners are smart, yet they still get into trouble. If you are thinking about getting a Berner might I suggest you read A Bad Dog Martin Kihn. A lot of things Missy did as a puppy was thanks to her Berner side and that book let me know that.

Jewel`s Photos

Berners are great dogs, great looking and more biddable than pyrs. But of course that also varies from dog to dog. We've had 3 berner friends over the years. Of the three, two of them were very friendly and happy. One was more aloof; she wasn't aggressive, just not gooey friendly. The health issues are very real. Of the three 2 of them died around 7 or 8. One got (but survived) meningitis as a pup, which is apparently not uncommon for berners. Our current berner friend is 3 or 4 and she is very sweet and playful. Her mom walks her offleash in the park.

Christi`s Photos

I like berners, but the more I read about them the more I am concerned with health issues, and life span. Same with Newfs, they don't generally make it to double digits either. Now this being said, plenty of people have had dogs die long before expected life span, and its hard to lose them no matter what age they are.

Now realistically there are Pyrs that do not have the aggression issues that Apollo has. The more I think about it the more I see that is what really bugs me, I can handle the barking, I can handle the shedding, stubbornness but all of that factored in with the aggression seems to compound the other things. I wouldn't even mind a dog being aloof with strangers, its the down right aggression that bugs me. The reason I wanted a Pyr was not only companionship but also the protectiveness. Now on one hand I got what I was looking for. I feel perfectly safe at home alone at night. It just never occurred to me how far to the extreme he could go.

Considering he is the first Pyr I have owned I was pretty low on the learning curve. Now I understand all the things I read about and can apply them to a real life situation. Maybe its best that I got a worse case scenario dog, because now I know what to look for, I have had to address issues that most people have not had to deal with. My instinct tells me to stick with a Pyr, but to use a good breeder, who I can research and see the lines and how their pups turned out. Tommy loves dogs and would be happy with which ever pup we get. As far as he is concerned we could go to the shelter and pick one up there and be perfectly happy with it.

Maybe I will take a walk on the wildside and get a newf and a pyr :P

Tsunibear`s Photos

Remember with Apollo's issues adding another Pyr into the mix could create more chaos then you expect. I have a friend who had a Pyr like Apollo and he decided to get a female Pyr because, opposite *** tends to get along and he had WWIII on his hands once she hit maturity. He learned how to break up a dog fight really fast. He ended up rehoming the female, because she was younger and easier to rehome. I just want to give you that warning. Sometimes a strong willed dog won't back down and adding another strong willed dog just makes more friction.

Christi`s Photos

Good point, and one I hadn't thought of. I have to ask though, if I get a puppy when he is 4 then when the new puppy is 2 or so, Apollo will be 6, will that make a difference considering he will have slowed down? I have to add Apollo seems most concerned with other dogs that are not leashed when he is. He also doesn't seem to like Bully type breeds. Although the female pit that is allowed to roam free doesn't bother him, and he is friendly with her. Now granted she is not fixed and generally she comes around when she is in season, that could be why he likes her. I imagine she has an alluring smell that he likes, in spite of him being neutered.

So back to the stubborn type dog issues it seems that perhaps a puppy that is not so willful could be a better option.

Tsunibear`s Photos

Puppies are great, but they tend to change as they grow. Apollo started off amazing and then he changed. My fear is that will happen again, maybe a more laid back young adult who has already shown that they aren't dominant or looking for a fight is the way to go here. I personally think with how Apollo is he should be the one to pick the next dog. He is going to know who he gets along with best.

Also Missy still had her puppy fits when she was 6 years old. She still has them now from time to time depending on how her back and knee are feeling. Just earlier today she was chasing me around the parking lot at work and playing a game of chicken with me and she will be 8 years old in March.

Christi`s Photos

I know what you mean, he is still active and playful, although I have noticed a decrease in energy since the neuter. We seem to be getting into a nice groove at the moment. He still gets attitudes with us, but is easily calmed now. The biggest "aggression" issue we have now, is when he is sleeping on my bed and we try to move him he "grumbles" at us. Its a growl, but not a serious one. He has shown his teeth once, he got a ham bone out of the trash, and I took it from him and he showed his teeth and went and flopped down in the hallway and ignored me for an hour. It didn't seem threatening to me, more like a teenager mouthing off and sneering at me.