Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Step 1: Keep Fido outside

You'll probably want to keep your dog outside while you get it together so they don't carry the smell indoors. Check their eyes; if they're irritated or red, immediately flush them with cool water.
    Step 2: Mix the Ingredients

Mix together:

1 quart of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide (available at any pharmacy)
    1/4 cup baking soda
    1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap

De-skunking Shampoos on Amazon.com

Wearing rubber gloves, wash your dog with this solution immediately after they've been sprayed. DO NOT get the solution in their eyes. (If you don't have peroxide, baking soda, and liquid soap on hand, use vinegar diluted with water.)

Caution: Do NOT store this mixture or make it ahead of time, as the mixture could explode if left in a bottle.
    Step 3: Clean and rinse

Rub the mixture through their fur, but don't leave it on too long (peroxide can bleach fur). Rinse them thoroughly.
    Step 4: Shampoo

Next, wash your dog with pet shampoo and rinse thoroughly. By now, they should be de-skunked and smelling sweet. Thoroughly towel-dry your dog, and be sure to place them in a warm, sunny room for the next couple of hours so that they don't get chilled.
    Owner cleanup

If your dog rubbed some of the stink onto you, you can rid your clothes of the smell by using regular laundry detergent mixed with a half-cup of baking soda.

this is what I normally do (Rudy has encountered skunks several times in his short 4 1/2 yrs.)

I did try the Nature's Miracle Skunk Stink Removal this time, followed by a shampoo said to help "eliminate" odors...

Nothing works all that well...multiple washings of the area helps, as does lots of fresh air...and time...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Tsunibear`s Photos

Go to the store and buy vagasil douches and let your dog soak in them.

Honestly if you wet them before putting something on them it gets worse. When I work on a skunk dog I don't turn the water on it until after I put the douches on them or the peroxide, baking soda and dawn dish soap on them. Once I put it on I can wet them and get it to lather, but getting them wet before treating them makes that smell last longer.