Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rena450's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Rena450`s Photos

Question Chasing critters

I live in a more rural suburb and have a fenced in yard ...... we do have some woods and treed areas around us, so, there is wildlife close by. At night we've even seen deer in the front yards of the houses here.

The other night I let Lyric out and we both saw something on the deck at the same time, Lyric ran over to it and all I could see was some brownish fur and it was larger than a cat, it slide between the railings, but was still on the deck. I grabbed Lyric by the collar and brought her back into the house. I waited a bit then went back out and it was gone, in the meantime Lyric was going crazy wanting to go out. The day after, I let her out and before I could get to the bottom of the deck I could see her chasing something along the fence line. It must have gone out of the yard through an area in the fence where it doesn't touch the ground very well.

Oakley (my Golden who is not with us anymore) caught a bunny and brought it up to me on the deck. When I told her to drop it, the poor bunny slithered off the deck. Oakley didn't realize how delicate there bones are.......

I'm wondering what Lyric would do if she caught a rabbit? And I hear raccoons are quit vicious when it comes to cats and dogs, so I don't want her to get tangled with something like that either. I thought Pyrs have a low prey drive. Anyone have any experience, advice or thoughts on this?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

They have low prey drive, not no prey drive. Lyric is still pretty young so it doesn't surprise me. Apollo at 3 years still chases pigeons, tries to catch rabbits and gives every indication that he would love to have a fuzzy tailed squirrel for dinner. And yes coons are vicious creatures, is she up to date on rabies? That would be my biggest concern. Also I would turn the porch light on and wait a couple minutes to let her out to make sure whats out there has a chance to get itself gone

Rena450`s Photos

Yes, she's up on her rabies, I just got her 2017 dog license.

Good idea about the porch light, think I may swap it out for one of those motion sensor lights.

P.S. Squirrels are Lyrics favorite thing to watch/catch also. When she sees one in the neighbors tree, she literally jumps up and it looks like she is hopping, she gets so excited.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

I have motion sensor lights and cats, coons and bunnies don't trigger them, but deer do. I would add a motion sensor, and still have the other light myself. That way you can be assured to scare the little critters off. Being a Pyr, I am sure she can handle herself with a coon, but always best to try and avoid a confrontation.

Road Dawg

My 2yo caught a rabbit in Jan and ate some of it any buried the rest of it for later. She caught a squirrel in the summer and it got away. So she has a prey drive that my other Pyr didn't. She is also amazingly fast.

The other night a coyote tried to get her. My farm fence has squares large enough for a coyote to get through. When I was alerted by her barking and body language indicating the a doggy friend had come to play, I flew out the door with a bright LED flashlight. It took my yelling and shining the light in the coyotes eyes for it to slowly meander away. In continuing to shine the light I could see a second set of eyes. SCARY! She could have been the prey.

Christine

Rena450`s Photos

Christine:

Coyote ....... very scary. Sometimes I can hear them at night in the woods away from our subdivision, thank goodness I live in the middle of the sub and not the outskirts (and that the yard is fenced in). Your Pyr that caught the squirrel must be very quick ..... my Lyric is fast, but, I don't think she can out run a squirrel.

Thanks for the reply.....

a601mom`s Photos

Me: Ike, Stop!
    Ike: But mom, I want to go play with that pretty black kitty with the white stripe.
    Me: Ike, that's not a kitty. It's a skunk and if you play with it, it will spray you with a horrible smelly substance.
    Ike: Oh, that sounds wonderful. Please mom!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Ha!!!
    Rudy doesn't stop...

Just had his 3rd encounter early Sunday morning....we usually let him out around 4-5 AM, then call him in for breakfast around 6:30, hubby opened the door to call him in, I could smell him in the bedroom...about 50 feet away....not a nice way to wake up...

Rena450`s Photos

OMG! I have never had that happen to my dogs ......

What do you do for Rudy? Tomato juice bath? Just wondering ..... in case Lyric gets into trouble like that.

a601mom`s Photos

Tomato juice does work but if you ask at the pet store, most do have a spray or shampoo that works, however, everytime they get wet, you do get the smell back at least for a few weeks. We used Nature's miracle on our Golden and that worked well. (Unfortunately the couch did not make it, finally had to drive it to the dump). More important, as mentioned, are rabies shots. In Northern California rabies is endemic in skunks although the vet tells me that most of those that spray rather than attacking are probably not sick.