Current Great Pyrenees Owner

riley`s Photos

Default Mason, our new rescue Pyr

We fell in love with this guy.

He is a 14 month old Great Pyrenees/Australian Shepherd mix. Rescued from a high kill shelter in Kentucky, he arrived at the rescue in horrible condition with mange, fleas, and heartworm. He also has/had lyme and ehrlichiosis, both tick illnesses. The rescue treated his heart worm and nursed him back to health; he goes for a final heart worm test in a few months to make sure he's clear.

He is SO SWEET! And he is quiet, and super mellow, and great in the house.
    But we are worried that he seems depressed. He perks up when we take him outside or he gets to hang out on our deck...which I know is the Pyr in him...but still in the house he sometimes looks so sad Do you think he doesn't feel well after all he's been through? He was only rescued about 3 months ago.

Either way...we absolutely love him!!!

riley`s Photos

And the before picture.... :'(

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Congratulations and Thank you for saving Mason! He is so handsome! I personally think he looks happy. Unless there is a camera out Missy doesn't smile and just lays around. They like to reserve their energy and I like to call them hairy speed bumps. All Missy does is sleep when she is inside.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

What a handsome boy! He looks content. Sounds like he has been through some rough times and been feeling pretty sick. My Pyr rescue was in a similar condition when she came to us. While she did begin to work on trusting, I honestly would say that it took 2 years to show her complete personality and who she really is. It took a while for her to feel confident that this was her new home, she was not going to be in trouble and we would always take care of her. Give him some time and I think you will see his true self emerge. He is a fortunate boy to have found you!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rena450's Avatar

Rena450`s Photos

Awwww ....... what a sweetheart. I got Lyric when she was about 9 months old back in July of 2016. Lyric came from a farm and was an outside dog. I feel it took a good 6 months (so, just recently) for us to trust and understand each other and it's still a work in progress. Although every Pyr is different, give him some time ..... they are wonderful dogs and she is lucky you found her.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Thank you soooooo much for rescuing Mason.....he is a very handsome guy.

and as everyone says...it will take him time to adjust & trust & learn love....I know you will get there

we rescued our Aussie when he was about 3-4 yrs., he had never been out of a crate, been de-barked & his muscles were so weak they were almost atrophied....he turned out to be a Therapy dog...and a do who loved to cuddle (I see your Mason already knows how to give a "pyr paw"!!

here is Dancer when we got him home...and the last photo of him
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dancer.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	8523
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dancer last photo.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	8524

Jewel`s Photos

I agree, take your time with Mason. I think you will see the real Mason emerge in time. May you have many many many happy years.

riley`s Photos

Many thanks. He's already settling in much quicker than we expected. He didn't eat anything the first day or the following morning, but ate all his dinner last night. So glad and thankful for him...he's the best dog we could have asked for