Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Christi`s Photos

They say that the furminator is for double coated dogs, its marketed towards them, and if you look though the grooming thread you will see Tsuni, a professional groomer, say over and over to never use it, it shaves the undercoat and ruins it, cause it to grow back in a felt like consistency that is hard to groom, cause the dog to be uncomfortable and all around a bad idea. It also has a blade and can cut the dog.

As to the shedding, the whole country is have the strange ups and downs in temp, Apollo is shedding worse than he ever has before. I can see clouds of fur flying when he runs in the yard, and he is dropping it all over my house. I thought at first it was because I had him neutered and this is coat turn over from that, but Roxy has been fixed for 3 years and she is just as bad, but has a short coat.

I used a pin brush and an undercoat rake when Apollo was super young, now I use a slicker and the rake, and if he is in a good mood a comb. The comb he doesn't like so its hit and miss.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Throw that Furminator away...no don't throw it away burn it then throw away the ashes. If you are wanting your pup's coat to stay nice get rid of that now. Since you groom your doodle on your own I am assuming you use a 40 on the pads? You know how on your blade there is the outer blade which creates the length and the tiny sharp one on the bottom that cuts the hair? The furminator is basically the underside with a handle so does help remove dead hair? Yes it does. That doesn't mean it is doing it right it is cutting as it removes which will screw your dog's coat up. I have seen it happen first hand...when Missy was a puppy I used it on her and it took me a year and half to fix the damage that damn thing did to her coat. So throw it away, burn it, bury it, throw it off of a bridge I don't care what you do with it so long as you never use it.

Get yourself an undercoat rake and a curry comb and go for gold, but know that she is a pup and so she will be shedding like crazy and that's to be expected. Shed happens is my motto.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

I have a standard rake but i see ones online for undercoat rakes that look different. Should I get those.
    https://www.amazon.com/Oster-Profess...words=dog+rake

Also. I have been using the furminator to remove cat mats rather than preventing shedding. To me the mat removal function seems okay for the furminator. I have a dematter as well and it isn't as good as the furminator in removing close mats.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

No, you want a rake like the one I linked. Here is the line to be concerned with

Easily removes dead undercoat with minimal cutting <----- means it is cutting the under coat. You never want to cut the under coat. If you do get a mat and can't remove with a slicker, then cut it with scissors leaving as much fur as possible. I have cut into the mat a bit and was able to brush it out that way without cutting it completely off the dog. I have also had to cut a mat entirely off. It was super close to his dangly bits and there was no way I was gonna cause him that kinda pain in that sensitive of an area. I now shave his belly around his privates because he tends to get mat's there. It seems to keep him cooler and he doesn't really have undercoat there. I don't shave to the skin, I use clippers for people and use the largest guard so he is left with about an inch and a half of fur around his privy area. I used to shave up to his butt, but he doesn't care for that much and give's me a hard time about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Und...ake+double+row

This is the rake I have now. It does not in anyway cut the undercoat. It pulls it out gently, and both of my dogs seem to enjoy and good raking. I rake maybe 2 times a week, and try to slicker daily now that we are shedding so horribly. Generally they get both once a week, I am just dealing with soe pretty heavy shedding and stepped it up for that reason.

snow0160`s Photos

Thank you for letting me know. I had no idea that the cutting was bad for them. I mostly used the pin brush on Sahara and the slicker. I am gonna get this rake now. Your explanations are really helpful Christi and Tsunibear.

snow0160`s Photos

Default Potty Training

Progress:
    1. Kit is super Duper Smart! yay! She has learned "sit", "down", "up", "paw" and "touch". She will do anything when you have a treat basically and it takes almost no time to teach her.

2. She also learned grass is for peeing and pooing. She goes to the same spot and goes immediatly usually under 2 min.

Need Advice:

1. She still pees pretty frequently and close to where she plays. We have at least one accident per day. I take her out about every 2 -3 hours. It is almost after every activity she pees: after training, eating, drinking, playing, sleeping. Sometimes within 20 min of peeing outside, she pees inside for no apparent reason. Do you think maybe I need to look at the floor with a uv light? Maybe I am not cleaning it well enough?