Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

In my experience, my pups all seemed to run hot in their first year. So all of them drank plenty of water. Ren has shown the most interest in water by far. When he was I guess around 3 months old and able to climb into the bathtub, he used to climb into the tub while I was taking a shower. He's stopped doing that now, but he has no problems climbing into the tub to take a nap after I've taken my shower. He doesn't mind that the tub is all wet. He also doesn't mind going outside in the rain and going to the pond at the dog park.

As to dream running and making all sorts of vocalization, all of my dogs have done it. The 3 purebred pyrs, the 1/2 pyr mix, as well as all the non-pyrs. For the first month or so after Ren came to us, he would make suckling noises when he slept.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Kit makes the same bubbling noise as Sahara. I haven't heard it in a long time. Seeing it made me want to cry because I kept thinking it was like having my old dog back.
    I am dealing with one issue that bugs me. She seems to be bonding with the Goldendoodle over everyone else. She sleeps, eats, and plays with him. I prefer if she cuddled me but she always go to him in the crate and lays on him like a puppy pile. The only time she hangs with me is if I have a treat in my hand. I have taught her "sit"( for real this time hehe) and "focus". She also knows the clicker. I tried having her sleep on my bed last night but she cried a lot and I had to return her to the crate to sleep with the doodle. Any advice? I'm jealous of my other dog.

Also I remembered Sahara hated strangers. Kit loves everyone but particularly strangers because she has been stopping traffic around my neighborhood. She loves the attention! I don't blame her. Do you think Sahara started out like this too? Kit's parents are both much friendlier and I think the breeder must breed for wonderful temperament. Sahara also hated dogs she didn't know whereas kit wants to play with everyone. Does anyone have insight? I only had Sahara as an adult so I have no experience how LGD develops.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Ya know Apollo loved everyone as a pup, people, dogs and cats. Now that he is almost 3 he likes maybe 5 humans, he is hit and miss with dogs. He tends to love tiny dogs, except chihuahua's. Larger dogs it just depends. Apollo slept with me as a pup, but now as an adult, its a rare treat when he climbs into bed with me and then he stays just a few minutes than is gone. As to the doodle? Ya know this is a baby, she is going to identify more with the other dog because well they are both dogs. Encourage them to have a close and loving relationship. She is used to sleeping with her mother and siblings and she is doing what comes natural with the doodle. Maybe you could try interacting with both dogs and create a bond that way. Play a game that involves you and both of them together, do training exercises with both dogs, taking turns back and forth as a way to integrate yourself into that relationship.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Ru definitely preferred playing with Tyro and Lily when she was a baby but especially Tyro. She was sure the sun rose and set on him. I made sure to have sessions every day where I would remove her from the other two and have one-on-one time with her. You have to do this is you are raising two pups at the same time too or they will have primary bonding with each other and largely ignore their humans. It is great that she is bonding so well with your boy but important that she be getting one-on-one with mom. Your doodle is just more interesting that you at this point.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruzha hug Tyro.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	8526

snow0160`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Christi View Post
    Ya know Apollo loved everyone as a pup, people, dogs and cats. Now that he is almost 3 he likes maybe 5 humans, he is hit and miss with dogs. He tends to love tiny dogs, except chihuahua's. Larger dogs it just depends.
    My dog Sahara only liked animals smaller than her as well. Thats how I have small dogs. She was lonely but hated large dogs. I don't think she considered them her equals but more like children she had to guard. It used to get a bit complicated walking her because sometimes if there is a retriever she would snap at them. She really hated Goldendoodles, Goldn Retrievers, and labs any large high energy dogs. She also hated puppies. She was very grumpy but I kinda missed her grumpy attitude.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I think what people are trying to say is that just because Kit loves everyone and everything now, doesn't necessarily mean that she will continue to love everyone and everything three years from now.

Sebastian was a lover of everyone and everything up until he was about 2 1/2. He's still great with humans, he tolerates little dogs and puppies, and is hit-or-miss with new dogs taller than about 17 inches. When we go to the vet, I have to wait in the car until they have a room ready, then take him in through the side door.

This is a dog who was extensively socialized. He went with me to work nearly every day for the first two years. We lived in an urban, dog-friendly neighborhood, where he got to go to Crate and Barrel, the Apple Store, Jonathan Adler, and a host of boutiques and restaurants with dog-friendly patios. He went to dog parks and day care, and loved every minute of it. He was also enrolled in several oobedience classes.

Kit and Sahara are two different dogs with different breeding and different backgrounds. Without knowing much about Sahara's past, it's hard to say if her issues were a product of bad genes, bad upbringing, or a combination of the two.

All you can do right now is give Kit the training and socialization that she needs, then agree to live e her unconditionally once her adult personality comes in. Adult Kit will be similar to the puppy you know and love now, but she will be different in other ways.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

snow0160`s Photos

Thank you Sebastian's Mom. I'm going to do everything I can do work on socialization and training. It is good to be mentally prepared for what can happen no matter what you do. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.

I have been really sick this week so I hadn't walked her and my husband had to do this. She had several accidents inside. :sad: I had a smartwatch and set a schedule to take her out every two hours and she had zero accidents. She seems to be recognizing that grass is for peeing and pooing. She is such a smart puppy and is very food motivated. Sorry I hadn't been updating any photos in this thread but I am feeling better today so I will add some here. Here are some photos of the food I've made her (liver treats and dehydrated sweet potato chews). Boy she is getting long. She was smaller than my pug when I first got her and now she is 25% larger in a week. I hope you guys like the photos. Sorry I ramble a lot. I am so in love with the puppy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender 30.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	8527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender 34.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	8528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender 32.jpg 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	8529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender 31.jpg 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	8530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5118.jpg 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	8531
    Issues I am working on:
    1. Seperation anxiety: when me or my husband leaves the room she whines even though Lucky is there.
    2. She is very vocal. My husband said I forgotten that Sahara was very vocal. He reminded me that LGDs are bred to be vocal. The only differene is she barks when she wants to play which Sahara did not. Kit also barks when she wants something ie attention, food, potty. Lucky is practically mute so it is a big difference. Ironically, the rest of Lucky's littermates all have barking issues. Could I train her to be less vocal? I realize it is unreasonable to make her not barky being a LGD but maybe just a little less.
    3. Ahhh the shedding. I forgot that I have 5 vacuum cleaners for Sahara. I don't know if it is because she's lived her whole life in snow or because FL's odd winter at 84 degrees one day and 46 degrees the next but she is shedding like crazy. She enjoys being brushed so I brush her every day but there is hair everywhere. She has really adorable puppy fuz. My husband said she is much less fluffy since coming to FL. I wonder if they shed as a reaction to the temperature. It isn't in the low 20s here that is for sure. My dear old Sahara used to shed so much that she broke a new Oreck commerical strength vacuum. Now, I have two dysons to do majority of the work and a roomba that doesn't do very much. Should I give her a bath? The brushing isn't working. I've used a very comfrotable human no pull brush on the pup so she doesn't hate brushes. I used to use slicker brush and sometimes furminator on Sahara and I remembered frequent brushing did the trick.
    4. Can I upload photos from my phone? I use tapatalk for other forums and you can do a direct upload. Is there a faster way? How do I change the orientation of the last photo?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Barking, good luck, if you discover how to make her bark less please share!!! Fur will be everywhere, and for a good long time. Toss the furminator, you cannot use it on a double coated dog, it will ruin her coat, increase the shedding and increase severe matting. Get an actual undercoat rake

https://www.chewy.com/conairpro-dog-...edium/dp/43141

That is the one I used when Apollo was a pup, now we have a double rowed, much larger undercoat rake. A bath could help, just make sure to use a very gentle shampoo on her.

https://www.chewy.com/nootie-sweet-d...uppy/dp/113374

That one I liked back when he was smaller.

https://www.chewy.com/sheapet-organi...mpoo/dp/107089

I use this one now, mainly because roxy has rather dry skin and tends to be a little itchy, and because I love the smell. Tsuni may have a better suggestion, being a groomer she is far more knowledgeable then me. I change things up here and there and I tried that particular one and with the scent, and how much it moisturized Roxy I decided to stick with it. I do like the Nootie products as well and have a bottle of a leave in conditioner that I spritz the dogs with between baths. Helps to loosen mats on Apollo before a deep brushing.

Jewel`s Photos

On the issue of the pup bonding with the older dog instead of humans, it happened with both Bro and Bijou. I didn't worry much about it. I let the pup learn from the older dog for the first year and only started to do training once the pup turned a year old. It wasn't as if the pup ignored us completely. The pup learned interaction with us humans by observing and copying the older dog anyway. As each pup matured, each sought out relationship with us on his/her own. That was particularly noticeable with Bro. He actively sought out my husband like he was looking for male bonding.

Interesting that Kit is shedding heavily at her age. You should switch to dog brushes if she's shedding. Human brushes don't do a good job of getting coat out. Here is Tx we have the same crazy temperature swings. Ren came to us from New York in November and he's only just started to shed a little in the last 2 weeks. Prior to that shedding was minimal. I could pull on his coat and come off with just a few hairs. He's a very full coated puppy too.

The puppy vocalization may reduce on its own with some pups once the pup learns the routine of the house and other ways of communication. Ren was more vocal a couple of months ago with different things. But is no longer that bad. He's by no means quiet, but he was worse before.

snow0160`s Photos

I literally have every single kind of brush due to the goldendoodle. He is the most difficult dog I've ever had to groom. However from an early age he has become super amazing about grooming so I decided to do him myself. I am not joking that I have 20 brushes at least. I even have a grooming table, arm, and a force dryer for this guy. I didn't have any of this for my Maremma but it will come in handy.

Question, are furminators not for double coated dogs? I don't use it on the doodle at all unless it was very close to the skin. I had thought it was for double coated animals.

Jewel, I am not going to lie. I was shocked myself at the amount of coat this puppy is shedding. There are tumble weeds in her area and I vacuum every day. I will try to use a dog brush maybe a pin brush and a rake. I think there was a huge temperature difference. FL was 86 degrees and it was 9 degrees in Minnesota. I had thought that I preferred a nonshedding doodle but I'd rather deal with the shedding than the 2 hour weekly grooming and 30 min daily brushing.