Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default LGD development and motor skills.

Hi guys,
    I have an adorable 8 week old Maremma Puppy. I've never had a puppy this young. My last puppy is a goldendoodle and I got him at 16 weeks. I am posting about motor skills of LGDs. Our neighbor has a golden retriever puppy also at 8 weeks old. Their dog has better motor skills. Then I remembered that LGDs don't reach matureity until 2 years, I figure that included bone development. So other breeds could have better motor skills at this age? I was wondering if I should delay obedience basic training because of it. I thought I taught her sit but I realize she plops down becasue she is a puppy and didn't understand "sit". I have been socializing her to everything because I read that 8-10 weeks is a crucial window for socialization. I must say this dog is the most confident fearless puppy I've ever met. My goldendoodle was scared of everything. This ones wants to explore everything. She tried to go into a few resturants and goes up to every stranger. She even tried to go up to leaf blower man who had his loud blower on. So again, two questions:
    1. Do LGD puppies take longer to develop full range of motion?
    2. If so, should I delay obedience training and focus on socialization at 8 weeks?

snow0160`s Photos

Default Confidence

I seriously thought I would have problesm with socialization due to aggressive resource and aloofness of my rescue Maremma. Honestly, I wasn't 100% sure she was a maremma. This new puppy falls over a lot but she jumps into my car when the door opens. She likes to stick her head against the window to look out. She likes to poke her head into store doors to look in. She greets dogs of all sizes, which I've been hesitent because of her age. I mostly only let her greet dogs I know who have responsible owners and are vaccinated. Also, do ALL LDGs move their leg and make bubbly noise when sleeping? My old dog used to do that and I had not seen it for a long time. She has the EXACT same behavior tendencies as my old dog ie her gait, the way she sleeps, the way she looks at you. My old dog was not nearly this brave. She was terrified of strangers and of foreign places. I used to get scared when children come running up as if she would snap. This little girl is extremely confident and loves kids. I've mostly exposed her to kids 5+ with parents present. I am going to start another thread on Kit. I realize this section is about health. I was just curious about motor skills and I am gushing a bit too much. apologies.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

not sure what you mean by "motor skills"....do you mean walking & falling over her paws?...

most puppies seem to move their limbs & make some type of sound....so I don't find that unusual..

every day is obedience training!!! she learns by you telling her over & over what is good & what is not so good....so what if she is plopping down when you say "sit" reward her anyway...that's the only way she will learn...repartitions, patience, humor, patience, calmness...and oh...patience!
    for formal 'training" I would wait until she has had her full set of puppy shots & you have found a person who has worked with LGD's & knows their learning curves.

the one thing I hesitate to let puppies do is jump..either up or down...those growth plates are still forming...no need for stressing them any further!

relax & enjoy your girl!

snow0160`s Photos

Thank you! Yeah I mean she falls over a lot when she attempts to jump up. You are right, I should start obedience training now. It does take a lot of repitition. I have had some expereince with LGD with my last dog but she was 8 when I got her. Patience is really important beause I think LGDs are a bit more willful than other breeds at least this puppy is. This puppy doesn't jump up on people which is really great because she has needle claws. hehe. I've also been carrying her up and down the stairs. How long should I be carrying her before she can do stairs? I do know about the platelate issue.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    puppy doesn't jump up on people which is really great because she has needle claws. hehe.
    Ah, you should trim her nails to get her used to it now.

snow0160`s Photos

We did and she didn't mind but it is still sharp. The groomer said we just have to wait for it to grow out.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rena450's Avatar

Rena450`s Photos

Snow0160 ........ Last two times I got Lyric's nails trimmed, I had them cut and ground smooth (they use a dremel type tool). It made all the difference in the world ......... Don't know if you have a Pet Smart around you but that is where I go. I was lucky enough to find a groomer working there that actually has a Great Pyr. Hope this helps.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

You always ask your groomer to file the puppy nails. They are sharp little daggers on their feet, but with a dremel you can make them rounder and they hurt less.

snow0160`s Photos

Aw thank you guys. We have the dremel because we use it for our doodle. We used it a little on Kit but there isn't much room to go further before hitting the quick. I think her nail as a whole is getting wider. She is getting bigger in front of my eyes. I also have been working on her jumping behavior so she scratches me less.