Thread: Shock Collar

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Shock Collar

Has anyone used a shock collar to train their Great Pyr? Pros/Cons?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for taking the time to ask about the shock collar before deciding to use one on your Pyr.

Pyrs, in general, do not respond well to aversive training tools and techniques, and the shock collar is about as aversive as it gets. There is also a substantial risk of the dog associating the shock with an unintended cause. For example, let's say that you are trying to teach the dog not to chase after the neighbor's cat. You shock him while he is actively chasing the cat. There is a chance that he will associate the shock with the act of chasing, which is what you want him to stop doing. There is also a chance that he will associate the shock with the sight of the cat, leading him to believe that the cat is a threat. Next time the dog sees the cat, he may run away from the cat, terrified, or he may eliminate the threat by attacking and killing the threat.

In the same scenario, let's say that you call the dog's name and he turns and looks at you while he is being shocked. He could easily then associate you with the shock, and consider you to be a threat. That is the opposite of what you want.

If we know a little bit more about your dog and the behaviors you are trying to reinforce/curb, perhaps we can suggest techniques that will be more helpful (and less risky) to attaining your goals.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

welcome Knox47...and your Pyr...male/female...how old?

very few "cons" for a shock collar, for one, as SebastiansMom says...one must really know how to use it, you may end up re-enforcing a behavior unintentionally

also...very few people really know how to use a shock collar at the appropriate moment, unless you have worked with a professional...

agree...more info please

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Besides what SM said another reason why a shock collar doesn't tend to work on these guys is because, one they are as stubborn as it comes. So often times they don't care that they are being shocked so they play through the pain. Another negative about a shock collar is usually they don't feel the shock because of all of their hair. So if you went this route you would have to shave a collar break for it to work and that can mess up their coat and with their stubbornness it can leave marks.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

There is a pyr and St. Bernard who both have shock collars at a neighborhood supervised dog meet. It happens everyday. I stopped going to it because this owner is in denial that the shock collars was making her dogs more aggressive. I've personally witnessed their pyr attacked an adult lab and the 155lb St. Bernard go after a husky puppy. Please don't use shock collars.

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

sidigirl`s Photos

I was desparate to stop barking with my last pyr, Polar Bear. I tried a shock collar, she didn't care and actually had sores on her neck from the shocks. I would NEVER EVER try it again.
    Cindy
    It never gets easier, you just get faster- Greg Lemond