Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Antonia`s Photos

Have to agree with the suggestion to get Casey checked, especially for Valley Fever. My girl was diagnosed recently. Looking back now, I can see subtle signs that I missed. These were things like wanting to sleep more and tiring a lot sooner and lagging on walks or during play time. At the time I thought it was due to the hot weather and her working hard at night (she is a working dog) but since she's been on treatment there has been a big change indicating she was really not feeling well. It was a limp that developed that made me take her in and get her checked but I regret I did not notice her plight sooner and that she was feeling ill. Lily is my second dog that has had Valley Fever. My first dog had similar signs but eventually lost his appetite, which prompted us to take him in for a checkup. So hard to tell with some of these stoic babies.

Another thing you might consider once you've had Casey checked is taking two walks. Walk the puppy first and let him tire out and them come back and pick up Casey for a short walk. I suspect the pup won't mind two walks and it will allow Casey to be included at his own pace. I've been doing this for the last year with my three dogs. My young female Kangal needs a serious run every morning. We do what I call the "puppy drain" and then come back and get the older dogs for a more sedate walk and a length that will not tire them too much. Takes a bit more time but better for everyone.

Puppy (New Member)

I have talked to a few folks with dogs on my walks in the morning on the canals and a couple of them mentioned VF. They said it is pretty common with dogs in our area. I am not sure if it is common with Pyr's but our first dog and now Casey both like to dig. I'm not sure if that is how the spores are spread.

Yesterday I took both dogs out for their walk and this time Casey laid down after about a 1/2 mile and then wouldn't budge. It took good 10 minutes before he would get back up. I noticed after we finally got back home he just crashed and slept all most of the day. He does seem especially lethargic so I am taking him in tomorrow. This morning I just took his brother (Bobby) and it was hard to pull away from the house with him staring out the front window. I'll let you all know what we find out but I do appreciate everyone's advice.

Young Dawg (Member)

I have a similar problem with my GP pup he is about 3 months old and just sits down or even lay down at will and refuses to walk.
    This happens at any time from the begining of a walk or at any time there after. The more I try and coax hime the less he reacts. The only way I get him up again is to just drop his leash and walk away from him. After I get about 20 or so yard away he comes a running after me. He is good at almost everything else except the nipping when he gets very excited. I would be grateful for any suggestions. I owned a GP years ago but he was always perfect on leash.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I have a similar problem with my GP pup he is about 3 months old and just sits down or even lay down at will and refuses to walk.
    This happens at any time from the begining of a walk or at any time there after. The more I try and coax hime the less he reacts. The only way I get him up again is to just drop his leash and walk away from him. After I get about 20 or so yard away he comes a running after me. He is good at almost everything else except the nipping when he gets very excited. I would be grateful for any suggestions. I owned a GP years ago but he was always perfect on leash.
    This is because yours is a baby. I see you are in south florida. Puppies have a much harder time cooling themselves and it could be the pup is overheating, or tired. I would do a short walk, early morning, and/or late evening. Take a few treats and see if you can get him going that way. Maybe even take some water with you and offer him a drink. At 3 months you don't want to over do it. Around that age my guy was taking about a 10 minute walk, just around the block. He also would stop and refuse to keep going. I would entice him with a treat to keep moving, then we went home. His refusal was my cue that walk time was over. Even now he will stop sometimes, generally he sits and wants me to pet him. Or sometimes because he wants to go in a direction I don't want to go.

Jewel`s Photos

My puppy Ren is 5 months old. He has done the same thing since we started taking him out at 3 months. Puppies this young don't always know the concept of walking, Ren doesn't, not really. They don't know/see the point of just keeping on walking at the same pace. Ren is very social and he gets bored on walks if he doesn't meet other people/dogs. In his mind he's just sitting down to wait for people to come out. It's pretty logical reasoning, I think. It's us humans who have the time schedule to keep.

Sometimes I entice him to play to get him moving. Sometimes if he wants to run I run with him so that the gets a different pace. Have treats with you is a good idea as well. But it's inevitable that at times I do have to drag him to force to get moving. I would pick him up to get him upright in a playful way; you do your best to make it not a negative experience.

But Christi is quite right that a 3 month old is very young and really shouldn't be doing too much hard surface same pace walking.

As for the pyrshark nipping, here is a thread with the "peanut butter method" to help with the issue:
    http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showth...to-stop-biting

@dschmidt: Please keep us updated on Casey. Sending positive energy for all to be ok.

Jewel`s Photos

I wanted to add that Ren is not terrible on the leash in a general sense. If he's somewhere there are lots of people to meet, such as Petsmart or Home Depot, he does just fine. He only does the lie down & wait thing when we are on what we humans call walks. That's when he doesn't understand the whole just-keep-walking-forward business.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Any news on Casey yet?

Puppy (New Member)

So I took Casey to the vet and had a full blood panel done. $350 later he is completely healthy. No valley fever. No thyroid problems. Heart is strong, temperature normal. At this point I have just been taking his brother with me on walks. I might try again after he has been staying home for awhile.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

So glad to hear it's not VF...

leaving him home might just take some of the frustration out of your walks & you can enjoy them with Bobby....maybe walks just aren't Casey's idea of a good time

Jewel`s Photos

Glad to hear that tests came back with nothing bad. Guess if he just wants to be a couch potato, so be it!!