Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

My 11 month old Achilles is great on the leash despite no training, good jumping into the Jeep and jumping out, but only so long as this is what the wants to do. But every so often, he will stubbornly dig in his heels and refuse to co operate end of story. He has the run of six fenced in acres so does not need walking. I have learned that when he is refusing to co operate there is not much I can do as he is a big strong dog and very determined. Achilles is pretty good natured about his non co operating.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    My 11 month old Achilles is great on the leash despite no training, good jumping into the Jeep and jumping out, but only so long as this is what the wants to do. But every so often, he will stubbornly dig in his heels and refuse to co operate end of story. He has the run of six fenced in acres so does not need walking. I have learned that when he is refusing to co operate there is not much I can do as he is a big strong dog and very determined. Achilles is pretty good natured about his non co operating.
    Probably Achilles is not very interested in walking so often because he gets enough stimulation and activity in his six acre home. I don't have land like you, so for my dog to be stimulated I have to take her for walks in my neighborhood and once a week a trip to the woods. For a couple of weeks when she was little, she refused to walk on a leash, but when she got to experience what's outside the house (smells, animals, other dogs, etc...) she loved it and now she's always super excited to go outside.

Can you think of something that Achilles really likes to do? I used to use carrots and other treats that my dog likes whenever she was able to walk for 30 seconds without stopping. I remember sometimes it would take me 1 hour to walk a mile and I repeated to myself that I had to be patient. Treats, taking her to areas where other dogs have been, positive enforcement and attitude, a lot of praising helped to deal with her lack of cooperation when walking outside.