Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Stubborn on walks

Hi Everyone-

New here. We adopted a 3 year old male Pyr about 8 months ago. He is our second one. Our female died about a year ago at age 13. The rescue we got him from also had a 1/2 Pyr puppy and the two had bonded so we decided to take both of the them. The puppy is about a year now.

The challenge I am having is when I take the dogs for walks. I live in Phoenix and the mornings are cool around 55-60 degrees this time of year. The puppy loves to walk and is pretty good on the leash although he initially was aggressive toward other dogs. He has calmed down considerably.

His older brother is the problem. We usually walk about a 2.5 mile loop. Anywhere from about a 1/2 mile on he will just stop. I use a harness that wraps around around his chest and I clip it on the top. I pull and and lift him from the handle on the harness but he won't budge. After 5 minutes or so he'll get back up and keep going. Sometimes he'll stop 5-6 times. Even the puppy is getting frustrated. He looks at me like "Why do we keep stopping?" I am considering leaving him at home and just taking his brother. Any suggestions?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome dschmidt & Pyr's...

and thank you for taking both of these boys in....

when did your older dog (name?) start not wanting to walk?
    has he had a check up lately?
    valley fever....it can manifest itself in so many different ways...

just trying to get more info...

Nancy & Rudy

Puppy (New Member)

Thanks-

I'm pretty sure Casey is healthy. They both have all their shots and he saw the vet about 3 months ago. The 2 of them love to play and wrestle. They run around the backyard all the time. It's only when he is on walks that he stops.

He gets all excited when I pull out the leashes and usually takes right off but after awhile he just stops and lays down. Casey rarely comes when he is called but neither did our first Pyr so we have just chalked that up to their natural independence.

Puppy (New Member)

and he's done it since I started walking him when the weather cooled down in November. This morning he stopped after about 1/4 mile. Got so frustrating I just turned around and went home.

I wonder what would happen if you left him at home for awhile & just took your young guy....it is frustrating you & the youngster, and probably stressing Casey out as well...

could be that Casey is bored (?)

do you think he's a good weight?

Puppy (New Member)

He's about 100 lbs. I am thinking he might learn from a few trips where he says home alone. Sometimes he does just seems to get extra tired on the walks. Panting and drooling. I have tried bringing water but he won't drink it until we get back. I am thinking maybe having a chat with my vet.

Jewel`s Photos

If he's panting and drooling in 60 degrees after 1/2 mile, you might want his cardio checked. At 3 he's a bit under average age for thyroid to act up but it's another possibility. Thyroid can make them exercise intolerant.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I think that a trip to the vet is a good idea.

I also think that taking them for separate walks is a good idea - so long as they aren't so bonded to one another that separating them causes them undue stress (a problem I have been dealing with for a while with one of mine).

Hopefully, they will enjoy one-on-one time, and walks will be less stressful for all of you!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

Thanks everyone for their input!

the more I thought about your description of Casey on his walks, I thought more about Valley Fever.

I used to spend 6 months a year in AZ (Tucson) and our Aussie got lethargic & not really enjoying his outings...then he started limping, vet in Seattle said he checked for VF, but he didn't know much about it....said it was cancer....vet in AK said not cancer, but didn't know what it was...finally got back down to AZ...vet knew immediately it was VF....proper meds & he was good to go again.

I also went to a talk on VF with Dr. Shubitz, she is the leading authority on researching VF...it was very interesting to hear the many different ways VF manifests itself....

and if you think Casey needs to loose weight...try the green bean diet....substitute 1/4 cup of green beans for 1/4 cup of dry kibble (or even a 1/2 cup of gb to 1/4 cup dry)...green beans are low in fat high in fiber, fills them up...not out!