Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

I think that's a perfectly normal behavior on Coopers part....dog chasing "his" property that he needs to protect & he acted on it.

Pyr's usually only use enough force to get their message through to the threat/offender....which means the leaving the other dog & showing no interest in him, Cooper taught the other dog the lesson he intended...don't chase MY car!

my suggestion to avoid this behavior again is to have Cooper in the cab of the truck with you....if that is not possible...well, guess you can't take him in the bed of the truck.

Jewel`s Photos

This behavior was just another aspect of the same issue you've been seeing. Cooper's been taught by you guys, albeit not intentionally, to take control of situations as he sees fit when he's not leashed. Cooper does not exercise good judgment and thus cannot be left unconfined if you are not actually holding his leash. I don't know what you mean by "having to get rid of him" but that sure sounds ominous for Cooper. I urge you to build the fence and consult professionals on the right way to modify Cooper's behavior. He has had to face frustration over time and was not given guidance on how to handle the frustration. I hope he will have the chance to learn the right behavior with the commitment from you guys.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

I had a Maremma who did the same thing. She mouthed a cable guy who was coming in and out of our home freely. Afterwards, I had to supervise her whenever I have strangers come in and out of my home...usually plumbers, gardeners, electricians, tech people...etc. I was never able to break her fully out of her agression toward strangers but I've made it better by socializing her and giving her treats when they come in. I mean this dog was angry when strangers came onto the property without my permission. Once I introduce her, she is okay but will follow them room to room. I know this can be frustrating but I rescued my Maremma when she was already 8. I feel your pyrenees is much younger and therefore there is still time to prevent further issues from developing.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Ya know, with all due respect you have set this dog up for failure, and now that he is displaying behaviour that you don't like like you may "have to get rid of him"? First, crate train the dog so that he can be safe in the house, and not posing a threat to the general public. Second, get a behaviourist involved to teach you how to properly handle your dog. Third, why in the world would you let a dog, known to not like people, roam the neighborhood? Not sure about Ky, but here in TN the dog will be euthanized after biting a human unless it can be proven that the dog, the owner or the owners property are in imminent danger. I have a Pyr that does not like people, has given me every indication that in the right circumstance would bite. My dog is contained at all times. Either in a fenced yard, or on a leash. I am hyper vigilant where he is concerned. When people come to my house, my dog is locked into a room with no access to the stranger in my house. I do not ever let my dog approach people when out on a walk, because I know he is unpredictable and I care enough to not put him in a dangerous situation. And finally, driving down a road, at 40 miles an hour with the dog in the back of the truck? You are lucky he didn't break anything as he jumped out. Sounds to me that you are playing it fast and loose with the dogs and the neighborhoods safety, and need to sit and think about possible repercussions. I am not trying to be mean here, but if that dog bites someone he could very well be put down, and you could be sued.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarader43 View Post
    I believe pyres need something to kill and something to protect. I have four buddies and have never had trouble as the wolves, bears, and coyotes give them plenty to vent on. Freyja also eats stray dogs that attack the livestock. I have Freyja and Odin each 3, Baldr a pup who loves everyone, and Thor a 13 year old dog that trained them all to act right.
    There is just so many things wrong with this statement, and a few others you have made on other threads. There is not a thing wrong with having a pyr as a pet, there is however something fundamentally wrong with encouraging a dog to kill, and then to brag about it on the internet. Killing stray dogs and you glorify this behaviour, then insinuated this is the only way a pyr should be? Dear lord, do you even have a conscience?